Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Food, glorious food

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    "A big part of cycling is the things you fuel your body with" I agree with that statement except I don't know what it has to do with putting heavily processed, artificial and expensive junk in your body. I think real food does the job and its much cheaper. I will admit to using an occasional Gu at the end of a century but that is more about the caffeine
    Repeated studies have shown that actual food is pretty good for you. Every time nutritional epidemiologists think they have isolated a magic food component, the do some studies and find that it is actually the complex mix of micronutrients that does the magic and the single component does no good.

Energy bars, drinks, blocks, etc. are just combinations of sugars, salts, and typically milk proteins. Nothing magic there except possibly the removal of all those micronutrients that make food work so well.

Fig bars, salted mixed nuts, oatmeal rasin cookies, and a bottle of Coke make for a pretty good food supply during rides. If you need more electrolytes on long rides, a mix of table salt, lite salt, and a couple of antacid tablets will do the trick.

sbn
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Amazon and feom local healthstores and bicycle stores

A whole beans kind of guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Repeated studies have shown that actual food is pretty good for you...Fig bars, salted mixed nuts, oatmeal rasin cookies, and a bottle of Coke make for a pretty good food supply during rides.
    Personally, I don't consider a bottle of Coke actual food. No more so than the junk you dismiss, anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Herbalife 24 products complete line. Gu Gels and blocks from GNC the first week of the month at GNC with Gold Card discount. Cliff Bars at Target or Wal Mart.

I am a big proponent of the Herbalife 24 products.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by ARE. View Post
    Personally, I don't consider a bottle of Coke actual food. No more so than the junk you dismiss, anyway.
    No question Coke is no better than gels, bars, and blocks and maybe not as good as bars. But it is readily available, works fine, and is cost effective. Maybe my point is that people get all wound up about which gel works best when none of them work better than a Coke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by esldude View Post
    Walmart for some things like energy bars. The super centers usually have them near the pharmacy as part of dieting products. Very good prices if they have what you want. Can order online if they don't have it at the store near you. Haven't seen Shot Blocks, but they have most Clif products.
    suprisingly, my local wal mart has the shotbloks in the sporting good section, next to the baseball gloves/golf gear/tennis rackets/athletic supporters...wierd spot, but they are there.

breathe in,out; repeat
    Jun 2011
    Grocery store.

breathe in,out; repeat
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kmunny19 View Post
    clif bars at sams club,

gels at LBS with bulk/good customer discount,

and I make my own electrolyte concoction chemically based on NUUN, which is disgusting (thus supercool on the hardness factor-or so I tell myself) but saves me $400 a year.
    Really? I love Nuun. Generally the Orange-Ginger or Berry flavored ones. I wish Nuun would make a version with slightly LESS salts so that I could comfortably drink it all day long. As it is, I still drink 1-2 a day just when sitting around. The cola one isn't too bad, but the two mentioned above are my favorites.
    Don't get me started on the 'organic' Nuun, though. Those things are pretty much disgusting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I don't really eat "sport specific" foods. Sometimes a Clif Bar because of the convenience/no mess factor and my wife gets them for free at work pretty regularly. My favorite things to bring on rides are PBJs (cheap, filling and hold up pretty well in a jersey pocket) and half/water half/gatorade. Often a coke or something else with caffeine.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I get most of my stuff from wal-mart but I try to buy some at the lbs also
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Just went into my local bike shop for there spring sale all there nutrition was 20% off and drinks were buy two cases get one free... I should be set for the rest of this week

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Add me to the Hammer list. REI gives a 20% discount if you purchase a dozen or more separate items (doesn't even have to all be Hammer). I'm using Hammer's Perpetuem product in the multi-hour bottle form for fuel on longer rides (61 miler this Saturday for example). I'm mixing their Heed energy drink with another product I like for faster, lighter energy early in my rides. I like their bars too, although a Nugo bar is a nice change from time to time.

For most any of the fuel vendors, I would suggest looking at the bulk packaging, and ordering that online - bulk + online can equal very nice discounts.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Repeated studies have shown that actual food is pretty good for you. Every time nutritional epidemiologists think they have isolated a magic food component, the do some studies and find that it is actually the complex mix of micronutrients that does the magic and the single component does no good.

Energy bars, drinks, blocks, etc. are just combinations of sugars, salts, and typically milk proteins. Nothing magic there except possibly the removal of all those micronutrients that make food work so well.

Fig bars, salted mixed nuts, oatmeal rasin cookies, and a bottle of Coke make for a pretty good food supply during rides. If you need more electrolytes on long rides, a mix of table salt, lite salt, and a couple of antacid tablets will do the trick.
    This ^^^^ Lots of companies have made lots of money from convincing people that they have discovered the perfect food or drink for exercising when actually it's the same stuff we can buy at the bulk food store or already have at home.

One of cycling's greatest success stories - Graeme Obree - was well known for fueling up on marmalade sammiches. In his recent new book on training he states that his favorite ride food is now marzipan.

I'm not a chemist or nutritionist but aren't all sources of energy sugars? And there are only so many forms of those no matter what fancy foil container they might be housed in.

So, as usual, for me, it will be dextrose powder (bulk food store), fructose powder (we can absorb 50% more energy if we combine dextrose and fructose), salt (table salt) and potassium (No Salt or NuSalt) and a dash of juice for flavor.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I get cliff bars and bloks/shots at Walmart. I get the HEED drink mix at my LBS.

For anything 40+ I bring a bottle of water, a bottle of HEED and 3-4 servings of bloks/shots. I have one every 45-60 minutes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    After years of abuse with the nutrition food, I now eat normal natural food when I ride.

I used to go through 4+ gel shots and other fluid mixes in a race and I wasn't happy with how I feel after the race. And I've learned that many racers and pro's use a lot more regular food when they have their lunch while in a race.

If I need a shot of energy, I make a small mix of pudding and extra sugar. Instead of bars, I make my own rice crispy squares with graham crackers and plenty of nuts. Drinks? how about a canned juice with a bit of salt and vitamins mix with water?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    My grocery store has prices comparable with mail-order so I get it there for convenience.

banned
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ARE. View Post
    It's a quick way to stave off bonking. A lot of sugar and some caffeine to primarily fuel the brain rather than the muscles.

The only drawback may be stomach upset from the carbonation but if you're used to that there's no problem.

Flat coke was primary sports drink of Frank Shorter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    i appreciate the comments about hammer, not the first time i heard good shyt about their products, i'll check em out. i also try to patronize my lbs for nutrition, but it gets expensive.plus they dont always have what you need. i think every lbs should take the time, expend the energy to buy an effin frig and fill it with convenient bottles of water for patrons for a buck a pop. when was the last time you went into a bike shop and didnt need a cold drink? to me, that basically means cash coming out of patrons' pockets almost every time they walk into the store, especially in the warm weather months. ok so its not a thousand dollar bike sale, but in some ways it might be helping to condition or acclimate customers to the (selling) environment. that's a lot of business right there that most shops just pee right away. i never quite got that.....

i say give me a poland to go with the energy bar you do take the time and effort to market, and hey, you got me for the five bucks, no problem that's in the budget. but the five bucks for just the bar and i gotta stop again for the water, i gotta pull out the cash again, then i gotta stay stopped to eat and drink, again, yadda yadda gets to be kind of a pain. especially when i'm on the move, i want it quick, preferably tasty, and easy to get in and down with fresh water. i'll stop when i have the time...

for online value i wait for performance, they usually have my shyt buy one get one. when that sale goes on i jump on it. couple months worth usually gets to me cheap and within a couple of days. good service, good deal i dig saving the extra bread leaves me more money for hookers (i gave up blow a while ago) ha ha

RoadBikeReview Member
    there aint no secret ingredient in sports food.

I like to eat bananas, cliff bars, maybe licorice, gummy things,sandwiches.

Make my own shots and drink mixes.

I buy at the grocery store and get all the ingredients of "sports food" at 1/10 the cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Vitamin Shoppe or the grocery store. I prefer Accelerade or Amino Vital to Gatorade so I usually pick that or Nuun up there. Accel Gel is good for a gel.

Often will pick up Clif bars or mini's or just regular granola bars at the A&P.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lbkwak View Post
    Instead of bars, I make my own rice crispy squares with graham crackers and plenty of nuts.
    You must have awfully sticky handlebars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I go to the grocery store and buy food, well balance food, if you eat a well balance diet you don't need expensive nutrition crap. Powdered Gatorade is dirt cheap, and V8 works just as good as expensive drinks, coffee works just as good as GU and other like junk, Power Bars are ok on long rides but Colossial 100 works a lot better. There's all kinds of food and drinks that are far cheaper then buying bike boutique ripoff stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use Hammer Nutrition products, I just don't get an upset stomach from their product line. The line of products I would say is fairly affordable. You probably could use a soda or sugar sports drink in the same manner, but that's where the stomach issue may arise with carbonation and possible sugar overload.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Sweet tea made from dextrose, maltodextrin and sucrose, with the dextrose and malto from

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/dextrose50lb.aspx
    http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/maltodextrin50lb.aspx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I like paydays, Accel gels,P&J,bananas,and fig newtons,gu drink mix in 1 bottle and water in the other

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast