RoadBikeReview Member

Curious about Changes in Jamis Eclipse

I'm still very much enjoying my 2002 Eclipse. I paid $2200 for it and I notice that 10 years later the 2012 version is now $3400. That is more than inflation would dictate. I'm wondering what has changed that would justify that cost increase. Mine is equipped with Kysrium wheels valued at $800 when sold separately. Somewhere along the line they stopped with the Kysriums.

Has anyone ridden a model around the age of mine and then ridden a newer model Eclipse? I'm curious how they compare. My model still was not a compact frame. I"m curious what year they switched to the sloping top tubes.

ETA: I see that it now only comes with compact cranks. Is this standard now with most new bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I have 2002 Eclipse which sits on the trainer permanently, have not ridden it outdoors in about 3 years, riding three other bikes. I was thinking of selling this bike and getting my dream steel bike. WIll I be sorry if I sell this bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by royd View Post
    I have 2002 Eclipse which sits on the trainer permanently, have not ridden it outdoors in about 3 years, riding three other bikes. I was thinking of selling this bike and getting my dream steel bike. WIll I be sorry if I sell this bike?
    I have read only rave reviews about Eclipses and that they are hard to locate if you want to buy one secondhand. I guess it depends on you though. Did you not care for it when you rode it outside? I'd imagine you would not have trouble selling it if you wanted to go that route.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I may just upgrade to a lighter aero wheel set and keep the bike. I was thinking of replacing this bike with a Colnago Master Light steel. Just love those chrome lugs on the Colnago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I think the OP raises a very good point about the price increases that seem to occur year after year in the cycling industry...way beyond the inflation rate. The Eclipse frame alone has jumped from $1100 to $1300 in the past couple of years. Nothing but the color of the fork has changed.

I've noticed ridiculous price increases on a number of bikes over the years....literally 15% increases each year. I mean, lets face it...the whole cycling industry is a marketing con-job. The over-pricing is getting worse and worse each year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    ...which is why I'd never EVER buy a new bike again. I'm more than happy to buy somebody's used gem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by M-theory View Post
    I think the OP raises a very good point about the price increases that seem to occur year after year in the cycling industry...way beyond the inflation rate. The Eclipse frame alone has jumped from $1100 to $1300 in the past couple of years. Nothing but the color of the fork has changed.

I've noticed ridiculous price increases on a number of bikes over the years....literally 15% increases each year. I mean, lets face it...the whole cycling industry is a marketing con-job. The over-pricing is getting worse and worse each year.
    I couldn't agree more. I bought a 2011 frame set and built it up with components that I had so the over all cost didn't kill me. However, while the bike rides well I am not sure that they did anything to it to account for the rise from $1100 to $1300. I have to agree with some others that say go with a good old classic steel bike if you can find one.