RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Jamis Ventura Race or Quest?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to cycling and am training to do the 110 mile segment of Pelotonia this coming August.

After looking/riding many bikes at my local LBS, including Giant, Trek, Specialized, Felt, and Fuji, I think I want a Jamis.

I test rode two models. A 2011 Ventura Race and a 2010 Quest. As far as price, I wanted to stay under $1500 total for getting totally setup. For the bikes alone I am looking at $1179 for the VR and $1339 for the Quest after taxes.

After reading everything, literally everything I could find on these bikes on the web, I am wondering if I would be silly to pass up the Quest. Or if the money would be better spent on quality shoes and pedals?

I not thrilled about the color scheme on the quest but that's minor. As far as feel and fit, they both felt great but I didn't ride for too long simply because I had ridden about 4 bikes that day already and was pretty tired.

Any thoughts on which I should choose as a novice rider?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I can't speak for the Quest, but I rode a Ventura Race for 3 seasons doing club rides and centuries and it's a great bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskiman View Post
    I can't speak for the Quest, but I rode a Ventura Race for 3 seasons doing club rides and centuries and it's a great bike.
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, when I went back they indicated that there was a pricing "mistake" and that the actual prices were about 150 higher than what I understood them to be so I didn't get either. I went with a Felt Z85 instead (which rode great for the hour long test ride I took).