Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Renegade Adventure Bike

14K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
Been looking for a gravel grinder and saw the Renegade Expert. This looks like a good option, that could also serve well with bike packing, running urban errands, light XC mountain biking and a with a different tire choice, should be good as a relaxed geometry road bike.

Anybody actually ridden one of these yet? If so, would like to hear your impressions.

#2 ·
Looks good on web paper... Got to be a very stout front end by the looks of the spec, postulation of course..

Just commenting so I can subscribe to the thread...

#3 ·
I asked my local Jamis dealer about this bike. He told me that he would gladly order one but has no plans to bring any in as part of their inventory. He doesn't see the appeal. They look great on paper but like everyone else I really need to see one to know.

#6 ·
Jamis rep brought one by my shop the other day (I don't currently carry Jamie, but am considering picking up the line). Very nice bike. Lot of nice touches, like the removable rack mounts by the dropouts. Geometry is definitely more road than CX, which is good as a gravel/road bike. If I pick up the line, just may have to get one.

#9 ·
Awesome bike. Figured I'd throw that out even though this site is on its death bed and under hospice care...maybe someone will see it before it's too late....

View attachment 314882

Yours looks like the Elite. How are you enjoying it so far? I am interested in test riding one of the Renegade bikes.

A couple of things that appeal to me in comparison to other gravel/adventure bikes:

1) The most upright/relaxed position of any I've seen so far. I plan to use it for long rides, not racing.

2) Very good quality components on versions down to the $2,100 Reynolds 631 framed Exploit. In other words, full Shimano groupos rather than sticking a cheaper FSA crankset in to cut costs. WTB rims too rather than entry level Alex rims.

3) True compact gearing 50/34, compared to the mid-compact gearing 52/36 on other gravel bikes.

It looks like a winner. I am looking for something I can blast down dirt roads with confidence.

Thanks!

#12 ·
I did pick up the Jamis line last year, and have sold a number of Renegades now, from the entry level aluminum model to the top end elite. Everyone loves them, they love the confidence they provide in the gravel. Comfortable for long rides, but don't hold back, either. I've currently got a Niner RLT9 I really like, but I may eventually get one of the elites for myself at some point.

#13 ·
I'm looking at the Exploit with the Reynolds 631 frame. My shop says they will have a few of these in this year.

#15 ·
I now own a Renegade Exploit and love it!!! Schweet ride! Fast on the road and very capable on dirt/gravel!

I do have to admit that I now have a problem with the rear OE Formula hub after 700 miles. Though in fairness, many bike brands including Cannondale use these same budget hubs as OE. Trying to decide weather to claim warranty or just eat it and rebuild the wheel with a better quality hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.