Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fireform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,302

    Xenith SL warranty issue

    A good friend of mine has a Xenith SL with a broken chainstay, and Jamis is giving him the runaround saying it sustained an impact. His story is that someone at Jamis mixed up his pictures and denied him warranty coverage based on photos of someone else's frame.

    Now, I know this guy pretty well. His English is broken and there may be some misunderstanding going on, but he is honest as the day is long and is a very skilled rider both on road and cross bikes. He never crashed or abused that frame and there is no issue with the dropouts or hanger or anything like that.

    I'm thinking I would like to post photos of the break here and get an explanation of how the impact hypothesis applies to them. Anyone?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    33
    I PM you my contact info, you can contact me tomorrow and we can review your friends case.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    305

    Lightbulb

    If this is your friend's posts then you would be wise to advise him to edit/delete his similar posts if he and you are hoping to get Jamis on his side.
    Last edited by Sven_Nijs; 07-03-2012 at 11:47 AM.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39

    Thanks for the advice

    Thanks
    Last edited by solera18; 07-03-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Thanks for the advice

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48
    As a Jamis dealer i would want to see the frame. You should get it into a Jamis dealer so they can examine it completey with out mistake. The warrenty dept is wonderful and i as a dealer had not had a problem with the few issues that i have delt with. Get it to your local dealer. If you bought it online you might have to pay a few bucks to have the local dealer work on it but you knew that going into an internet sale. If a customer of mine comes to me with a problem on a bike that i sold i will be bending over backwards to fix it along with Jamis. If no dealer close by, pm me with some pics.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by nickt30 View Post
    As a Jamis dealer i would want to see the frame. You should get it into a Jamis dealer so they can examine it completey with out mistake. The warrenty dept is wonderful and i as a dealer had not had a problem with the few issues that i have delt with. Get it to your local dealer. If you bought it online you might have to pay a few bucks to have the local dealer work on it but you knew that going into an internet sale. If a customer of mine comes to me with a problem on a bike that i sold i will be bending over backwards to fix it along with Jamis. If no dealer close by, pm me with some pics.
    Thanks we are working on it, Jamis has a excelent Customer service,warranty and good communications to the customers.
    Last edited by solera18; 07-23-2012 at 10:15 AM.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48

    Difficult with out pics

    If you can post some pictures of the ones you took i will happy to take a peak...but somethings in your description doesnt add up for me. The tech at the shop who looked at it and said the carbon is exposed ......to me does not match the description of the Jamis warrenty dept of impact crack....there seems to be a disconnect.

    I have delt with Jamis Warrenty as it is the only brand I sell and they are on the up and up from my experience.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    Problem has been solve due to the excelent warranty dep, Thanks to Tim for the service provide I couln't be happier!!!!
    Last edited by solera18; 07-23-2012 at 10:17 AM.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    Last edited by solera18; 07-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    Nick: warranty has been solve Jamis warranty dep, misunderstanding on my part.
    Last edited by solera18; 07-23-2012 at 10:22 AM.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48
    OK the first picture prior to going to the Bike Shop is not broken.......
    it has a deep gouge toward the bottom of the chainstay and a scuf mark that caused a delamination of the clear coat........that i would not call damaged and safe to ride.

    The pictures taken at Jamis show the same frame due to the presence of the scuff marks but most definitalty shows an impact crack. I can see where it got hit causing a dark blemish on top of the chainstay at the head of the crack. The resulting cracks on the top/side and the one at the bottom was the result of a impact of a downward force cracking the top/side due to compression forces and the bottom is more of a pulling apart or a outward splintering. Picture a tooth pic that you snap in half. the inner part is splinters by being compressed and the outer side pulls apart or splinters outward.

    Now...... who is to Blame?

    You brought the bike into the bike shop with scuffs and gouges.......

    Then the stripped frame arrives at jamis with a clear impact crack.

    LBS?
    Shipper?
    Jamis?

    Someone is not telling the truth.

    I can only vouche for the Jamis team as I do not know the LBS.

    I actually dont know how to approach this.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by nickt30 View Post
    OK the first picture prior to going to the Bike Shop is not broken.......
    it has a deep gouge toward the bottom of the chainstay and a scuf mark that caused a delamination of the clear coat........that i would not call damaged and safe to ride.

    The pictures taken at Jamis show the same frame due to the presence of the scuff marks but most definitalty shows an impact crack. I can see where it got hit causing a dark blemish on top of the chainstay at the head of the crack. The resulting cracks on the top/side and the one at the bottom was the result of a impact of a downward force cracking the top/side due to compression forces and the bottom is more of a pulling apart or a outward splintering. Picture a tooth pic that you snap in half. the inner part is splinters by being compressed and the outer side pulls apart or splinters outward.

    Now...... who is to Blame?

    You brought the bike into the bike shop with scuffs and gouges.......
    Then the stripped frame arrives at jamis with a clear impact crack.

    LBS?
    Shipper?
    Jamis?

    Someone is not telling the truth.

    I can only vouche for the Jamis team as I do not know the LBS.

    I actually dont know how to approach this.

    Thanks for your help and time to help me out But It was taken care by Jamis warranty dep
    Last edited by solera18; 07-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48

    if i had to guess

    After hearing that when you push down on that spot a small crack becomes evident............it tends to make me think that the store employees were testing or showing others the crack by pushing on it.......and then........

    Pushed to hard for the the demostration resulting in the crack..........
    The LBS should be able to own up to that if that is the case......with out penelty

    just a guess

    The few questions i have left is the original scuff and surface gouge......where did they come frome.....could that have been the impact? with such light surface damage i am tending to think "No"........ but it makes it suspicous being in the same area.

    Glad i can help but i wish i had more of a resolve for you.

    If you are ever up in north NJ and need a bike to ride........getaway cycle center bloomingdale NJ

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by nickt30 View Post
    After hearing that when you push down on that spot a small crack becomes evident............it tends to make me think that the store employees were testing or showing others the crack by pushing on it.......and then........

    Pushed to hard for the the demostration resulting in the crack..........
    The LBS should be able to own up to that if that is the case......with out penelty

    just a guess

    The few questions i have left is the original scuff and surface gouge......where did they come frome.....could that have been the impact? with such light surface damage i am tending to think "No"........ but it makes it suspicous being in the same area.

    Glad i can help but i wish i had more of a resolve for you.

    If you are ever up in north NJ and need a bike to ride........getaway cycle center bloomingdale NJ
    Awesome thanks
    Last edited by solera18; 07-23-2012 at 10:26 AM.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by solera18 View Post
    It could've been posible, but unfortunally my relationship with that LBS was not good from the begining just after he's gota call from Tim he called me and told me.....Hey you need to pick up yur parts there is no warranty on the frame. I was so dissapointed from LBS and jamis the rest you already know it. I only wish there could be more LBS like yours down here south Miami that you dont even have to be writing me about, just laughting at my hanwriting(inglish) like everybody else even JAMIS. I will BUY another one from you in a heartdbit,but you took your time and dedication and pasion you fell with the cycling community in the US, I'm from Spain been born and germany reason from my hand writing , but I would like to jamis help me out just one time they dont have anything to lost, I loved my Xenith sl in everyway but it makes me sad just by been in this situation where I lost my bike, We have like vuelta at MIAMI next september where las year I made of 18 out of 2,000+ riders and La vuelta a Puert Rico where I did it las years as well with that Xenith sl and everyone was SO sorprice ehn they so me and my little 51cm jamis xenith sl at the finish line, Os course makes me fell so good whem you passed those guys with those expensives frame. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the offer I hosnestly again I only you were working at jamis facility ut I guess would be more headace for you ..lol.......BE safe my friend thank you for everything.
    I have kept off the forums with any information or opinions regarding your claim and have dealt directly with you on this matter. However, I can not sit here and allow you to publicly state that Jamis and/or myself have ever "mocked or laughed" at you or your handwriting. I reached out to you and your friend who posted on these boards and presented the information that we received to both you and your friend. We offered you a crash replacement frame at a significant discount and helped to recommend a reputable company that could reliably repair the damage to your frame. You may not like or agree with our finding, however you can not state that we did not deal with you in a courteous and professional manner.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    My bad so sorry I apology to Tim and Jamis
    Last edited by solera18; 07-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    Frame is on my way I can be happier!!!!!!
    Last edited by solera18; 07-23-2012 at 10:30 AM.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    Problem solve Good warraty service from Jamis
    Last edited by solera18; 07-23-2012 at 10:29 AM.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    to Jamis bicycles and Tim

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39
    It was a misunderstanding on my part, Jamis solve the issues My bad so sorry

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    305
    Glad it worked out but maybe a lesson learnt on how to deal with these situations in future?

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sven_Nijs View Post
    Glad it worked out but maybe a lesson learnt on how to deal with these situations in future?
    Hey Thanks for all the help and suggestions!! Yes, definally, I have to thanks to all of you guys but mostly the good communications and patient from Jamis, I'm having a rough time dealing with Personal issues (health) related, unforutnally wrote everything in a frustration moments, Definally lesson learned.

  23. #23
    Ozzieernie
    Guest
    Glad to hear you got a good resolution.

    My mate and I bought 2 Jamis Xenith Comp 2011 bikes in Oz as our first roadbikes. His cracked through the stem within weeks of owning it and caused a fall. Jamis refused to warranty the claim for us as they said the bike crashed first which caused the fault??? Even though we both did stat decs explaining that the stem failed? He had to pay full retail on a new fork. Not impressed
    Love the bikes - but warranty department is lame IMO!
    Jamis never even made contact directly with him in relation to the claim.
    The LBS which originally sold the bikes to us do not stock Jamis because of the treatment we received.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook