Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Litespeed Titanium Bikes(gravel)

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Pisgah2000 
#1 ·
Just curious who makes these and are they any good. My sole experience with a similar bike is my Firefly but noticed Litespeed at the local bike shop. They feel light and the metal looks and feels thinner(subjective) along with welds that while they may work were not what I would expect from a high end bike. Are these bikes comparable to a BikesDirect, a Seven or something in between? Just curious. The store's been carrying them for a while but unlike Moots, Seven, Firefly, even Bikesdirect's sold Motobecane never seen one on the road

#2 ·
They are made by the American Bicycle Group, who bought them out a decade ago. With the buyout they tried moving to carbon fiber, probably in an attempt to be more profitable.

#3 ·
Litespeed were a pioneer in Ti frame manufacturing, starting in the late '80's. Through the '90's they were a premium frame used by many pros including a certain LA who won the TDF on one.

They also made frames to Eddy Merckx's specs, branded as Merckx AX. I have one from 1995. Wonderful frame and excellent quality.

I don't know the inside story, but at some point the original owners sold out and Litespeed have been under new management for quite a while. They are still made in the USA according to this. I cannot comment on the current relative quality. https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/02/19/factory-tour-litespeed-celebrates-30-years-of-cutting-edge-titanium-bicycle-manufacturing/

#5 ·
You could post a close up photo or 2 of the current welds and then we could compare. 20 years ago they were excellent, as good as anything out there.

#7 ·
Here's some of my '95. Based on other Litespeeds I used to look at back in the day, I'd say this welding was representative of that era.

Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle wheel rim Transport Spoke Rim White

Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Infrastructure

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Bicycle Line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.