Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Look Keo Blade 12Nm vs. 16Nm?

33K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  motoricker 
#1 ·
I'm looking at these pedals from Look however they offer one with 12Nm and other with 16Nm wich one would I choose? I'm not a racer

#2 ·
I have the 16nM on my cross/commuter bike. It is harder to pop the cleats out during the occasional stops at traffic intersections. I recommend the 12nM if you are not a racer.

#5 ·
I just bought the keo blade carbon pedals with 12nm blades and fitted them on the weekend and pulled out of them as I went up my driveway on my first ride! I have never really thought of myself as a powerful rider but 6'3" and 85kg might have something to do with it.

I discussed it with a couple of other riders this morning who both recommended the 16nm over the 12nm blades (one had both but prefered the 16nm pedals). Neither rider is what I would call 'big'.

Wish I had done a bit more research beforehand...

I am now looking at getting some 16nm replacements. Anybody know how to change them over?

Forgot to mention that they felt great to click in and out of - very nice feel over my old keo carbons.

#7 ·
I'm using the 12's and they are more than strong enough for me. I'm not a racer but a strong 185 lbs rider and have never had them pop out with proper spinning action.

They do however release predictably with a slight twist of your heel.
I would highly recommend the 12's if you are new to them.

#8 ·
Made a decision to get the 16s because they're red LOL!!

Very stiff as others have mentioned can't comment compared to 12 as I haven't tried them yet.

As for changing the 12s over shouldn't be hard as long as you can find a LBS that has the Look tool to be able to change it.

#11 ·
I know I'm late to check in here but buyer beware on these pedals: they have durability issues. Search online. I've owned the 16nm version and they failed less than 1 month of use.

and you probably guess wrong on what went bad. It's actually the body and not the carbon blades. The body on mine cracked.

#13 ·
Seems I've been jinxed!

Went to unclip (thankfully when coming to a stop) and it was not the usual sound followed by a clinking of bits hitting the ground.

This was the warranty replacement pair from the first set that also broke! in total that's 2 pairs gone in 2 years, the first one went maybe 6 months in and these lasted until now.

So for me, never again. Once, bad luck, Twice rubbish product, Three times and I'd be a fool. Imagine if they were the power pedals...

I just had my first ride on Speedplay Zero Ti's and they are great.

Attachments

#16 ·
It was already difficult in the 16s. You had that sense of security but unclipping in traffic wasn't the easiest thing to do on earth. It was a loud CLACK when you unclipped.

I've concluded that they were race day pedals. I don't know what urged them to make 20!

#17 ·
I would go for the 12Nm, before mine broke (twice!) I never had any issues with tension. They clip in very positively and the 12Nm were plenty strong enough to hold when sprinting etc. I'm 72kgs and reasonably strong and I would not have wanted any stiffer than the 12Nm.

#19 ·
The choice is yours, I would not buy them again, 3 times would be crazy on something that has failed on me twice already in 2 years. I was told by Look that the failure rate was 3%, I feel that was a "modest" number! I am now a total convert to speedplay, I am very happy with them and personally prefer the interface to my old Looks.

#20 ·
I went through two pairs in about 2.5 years. i got the replacement pair at the end of 2012 and exchanged them for Shimano PD-9000. best pedals and have used. bullet proof. Looks were nice and light, but,not worth the headaches.(btw, 16mn worked just fine for me, 185 lbs)
i saw the new Blade 2 at Interbike this year and they looked and felt super light, but, i agree with the comments above, unless the changed the resin, they are going to have the same issues.
for me, pedals are like Stems and handlebars, not the place to save weight when you compromise safety and reliability.

#21 ·
Anyone know if the durability issues have been resolved never have had an issue with my old Keos? If they did resolve the issue what year, is it safe to purchase 2014 (new Old Stock pedals)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.