Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    Dean,
    If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting the Hawley part numbers for the Bearings / headset parts and rear hangar?

Thanks!

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
    Dean,
    If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting the Hawley part numbers for the Bearings / headset parts and rear hangar?

Thanks!
    There is not a part number for the bearing seat--I spoke directly with your contact at Hawley, who told the local shop to speak to him when ordering. So clearly not considered a retail part. (You would think they would include it with the replacement headset though, as Giant does.)

The shop where I ordered it from should have it in by tomorrow (I hope) so I'll post a price and any information I can.

On the hanger, I purchased the Wheels Manufacturing one--#106--seems to fit well.
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    Thanks for the info. I like to have spare parts on hand, especially as they become harder to find. I purchased some bearings from eBay yesterday. I recently found a HSC5 fork to hoard too. Full disclosure: I have two 585's. After riding the first one a few miles I realized I found MY dream bike. So when another F&F showed up at a fair price I bought it. I don't see any new bikes in the foreseeable future! I will order the wheels hangar. In a recent bizarre incident I picked up a 3 foot section of barbed wire. It wrapped itself around the wheel and bent the hangar. I was able to align it, but it was the second time it took a bit more bending than I would like.
    Keep us updated on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    There is not a part number for the bearing seat--I spoke directly with your contact at Hawley, who told the local shop to speak to him when ordering. So clearly not considered a retail part. (You would think they would include it with the replacement headset though, as Giant does.)

The shop where I ordered it from should have it in by tomorrow (I hope) so I'll post a price and any information I can.

On the hanger, I purchased the Wheels Manufacturing one--#106--seems to fit well.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
    Thanks for the info. I like to have spare parts on hand, especially as they become harder to find. I purchased some bearings from eBay yesterday. I recently found a HSC5 fork to hoard too. Full disclosure: I have two 585's. After riding the first one a few miles I realized I found MY dream bike. So when another F&F showed up at a fair price I bought it. I don't see any new bikes in the foreseeable future! I will order the wheels hangar. In a recent bizarre incident I picked up a 3 foot section of barbed wire. It wrapped itself around the wheel and bent the hangar. I was able to align it, but it was the second time it took a bit more bending than I would like.
    Keep us updated on yours.
    My local bike shop had trouble getting a call back from Hawley, but the parts appear to be ordered, so hopefully next week.

Meanwhile, I started to clean up the frame and assemble--only to find that I managed to lose one of the new cable guides in its little packet between the living room and where I was working on the frame! &&^%$(***

I spent all day cleaning up the random mess, hoping I would stumble across it. Even emptied the vacuum bag carefully, went through the recycling bin where the package got tossed. No luck.

So I'll be re-ordering that.

I did check the Hawley web site. They list the 585 hanger here--Product #270328-- and claim they have stock:
    https://www.hawleyusa.com/catalog/Pr...&vid=undefined
    Last edited by paredown; 08-12-2016 at 07:11 AM.
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    I managed to lose one of the new cable guides in its little packet between the living room and where I was working on the frame! &&^%$(***
    Now, if your property had included a modest bike workshop with a white concrete floor that would not have happened.

Need Parts for a stripped Look 585-img_20160320_103101231_hdr-1-.jpg
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Now, if your property had included a modest bike workshop with a white concrete floor that would not have happened.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160320_103101231_HDR (1).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	315395
    Jealous!
    E. M. Forster

We have met the enemy...
    A slight update--after some miscommunication on the home front, I picked up the bearing seats from my LBS who had ordered them from Look.

A little more confusion, but we agreed that $20 seemed like a fair price, given that it was a PITA for them to order the little buggers.

Size:
    OD= 1.620 / 41.15mm
    ID= 1.226
    Height= 1.154 (flat bottom to top of ridge)Need Parts for a stripped Look 585-dscn1827.jpg
    Last edited by paredown; 08-11-2016 at 05:38 PM.
    E. M. Forster

We have met the enemy...
    A couple of shots with a dry fit of the fork--that is the FSA headset listed above plus another 30mm spacer--setup was checked with a rough check against my other frames...

I ordered the 'microspacers' that sit at the top of the headset stack but before top cap goes one since other people had mentioned friction between cap and frame. I added in three microspacers but I will check it again once I decide about where to cut the fork.

My worries about the bulk of the 3T fork, or whether it would have weird gaps--it looks totally fine--almost no gap at the bottom, no evidence of binding and everything fit together as it ought to.

I may look at removing the large 3T logo, or maybe I can get peel 'n stick in silver to match the Look logos and go over them...

Need Parts for a stripped Look 585-dscn1829.jpgNeed Parts for a stripped Look 585-dscn1830.jpgNeed Parts for a stripped Look 585-dscn1831.jpg
    Last edited by paredown; 08-11-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Fork looks good on there. You may have already stated this, but were did you track down the 3T fork? Which model is this?

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    Fork looks good on there. You may have already stated this, but were did you track down the 3T fork? Which model is this?
    I originally had an offer of a 3T Pro fork from a Paceline participant--this was a NOS replacement fork form the Cervelo program. The Cervelo replacements were marked Pro with white stripes or simply 3T but from what I can make out from the discussions they were all the Pro model, regardless of logo.

This one I picked up on eBay for about $175 shipped--a little less money. It was sold as a new bike take off, which seems to be true (it has been installed, brake bolt marks etc) but no signs of wear.

This one is a 3T Funda Team (which is supposed to be the higher model, lighter @ 325g vs 370g for Pro, and better carbon) and has those extra red stripes.

Here's a link with details about the older one I bought on the 'Bay:
    3T Funda Team Carbon Road Fork - Pro Bike Supply

You would have to be careful ordering though--both were available in 43 and 49 rakes (you'd want the former)--and I see a good deal on the Pro here for $245 new, they don't mention rake:
    https://www.athleteshop.com/3t-pro-f...zvcaAlaK8P8HAQ

The newer model of these are pretty widely available--new model of the Team has the logo circled in red; new model of Pro has the logo circled in white--both look like the new 3T bars.
    Last edited by paredown; 08-12-2016 at 06:54 AM.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the information. I have a 585 Ultra, and have been off and on looking for a backup fork...in case something happened to the one that is on there. I'm glad to hear that the 3T one seems to work okay.

We have met the enemy...
    Thanks for the information. I have a 585 Ultra, and have been off and on looking for a backup fork...in case something happened to the one that is on there. I'm glad to hear that the 3T one seems to work okay.
    You're welcome. The only problem with me as a 'tester' is that I have no idea what a stock 585 feels like, so I won't really be able to do a fair comparison.

What got me started on the 3T route though was someone who posted on Paceline showing that the axle to crown measurements were almost identical (I think I stuck this in somewhere above in the thread), and that the rakes would match. The decent match in color palette and look is just fortuitous.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    Thanks for keeping us updated. It will be interesting to hear what you think of the ride. I picked up some headset bearings and a rear hangar for the parts bin.
    I weighed 2 HSC5's. My crashed in came in at @ 273 the other @ 273.5 (The steerer is about 10mm longer on that one).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Glad I found this string when looking for a new fork. I've been debating between the 3T, Ritchey WCS, and ENVE 2.0 road fork. I need a taller steerer tube since my slammed option isn't working for me. I have a 585 Ultra with the HSC5 SL fork and finding a match has left me a bit sad...

Any input on differences between these?

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by bradford View Post
    Glad I found this string when looking for a new fork. I've been debating between the 3T, Ritchey WCS, and ENVE 2.0 road fork. I need a taller steerer tube since my slammed option isn't working for me. I have a 585 Ultra with the HSC5 SL fork and finding a match has left me a bit sad...

Any input on differences between these?
    I really didn't do much comparison shopping--I relied on a thread on Paceline where someone else had figured out the crown to axle was about the same between the 3T Funda and the OEM fork and then found a bargain.

Crown to axle would be critical, rake (43) and for aesthetics, I think you want chunky-ish to match the head tube dimensions--so I think the Enve would work in that respect.

I have yet to finish putting mine together, so I can't say anything about how it rides yet,,,
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Need Parts for a stripped Look 585-img_0124.jpgNeed Parts for a stripped Look 585-img_0055.jpg

I found a cervelo 3T funda team on the auction site at a price worth trying out. Fit up and looks good. I used one of the FSA Orbit IS crown races.

Back on the road!
    Last edited by bradford; 01-29-2017 at 06:48 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    bradford -- The 3T fork looks good on there. How's the riding and handling compare?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    bradford -- The 3T fork looks good on there. How's the riding and handling compare?
    Only had a few outings, but I'd say the ride is still good. I also changed handlebars (width and to carbon), so not completely apples to apples. Haven't pushed it hard into a corner - but I can say it doesn't flex too much under my higher weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Only had a few outings, but I'd say the ride is still good. I also changed handlebars (width and to carbon), so not completely apples to apples. Haven't pushed it hard into a corner - but I can say it doesn't flex too much under my higher weight.
    Thanks for the reply. Keep us posted as you put some more miles on this.

We have met the enemy...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	317761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	317760

I found a cervelo 3T funda team on the auction site at a price worth trying out. Fit up and looks good. I used one of the FSA Orbit IS crown races.

Back on the road!
    From what I read that Cervelo replacement was the 3T Pro, so it should be a quality fork.. Glad you got yours together.

Looks pretty zoot with those wheels!

I've been out of commission from mid-December until early March with health problems and I am just getting back to all of the many projects that sat while I healed.

I'll post a ride report on mine as soon as I can--the two feet of snow we got last week didn't help!
    E. M. Forster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12