Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mntvon2 View Post
    Let me preface my comments w/ the people at LOOK have always been great to me and issues that I have had in the past. That having been stated, I have the same pedal issues too. I have been reluctant to write anything but I've had 2 new sets of these pedals and they both squeek. It is really aggrivating but I just put up w/ it. It is kinda sad though as I have a LOOK 695 attached to the pedals. $10,000 squeak machine - woo hoo! I would like to know if there is a fix????
    I sure you must have tried maintaining them like myself, but sometimes that doesn't work.
    I just put a set of Shimano's on the bike and I'll have to give you guys some updates on them. It may not be the answer, but you have to try something different, sometimes.

LOOK Cycle USA
    There have been improvements made to the cleats. If your having any sort of issues, please feel free to PM me or email me (email is probably best) and I will try to take care of you.

jlubecki at lookcycle-usa dot com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by George M View Post
    I sure you must have tried maintaining them like myself, but sometimes that doesn't work.
    I just put a set of Shimano's on the bike and I'll have to give you guys some updates on them. It may not be the answer, but you have to try something different, sometimes.
    So George, do you have a 695 too?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mntvon2 View Post
    So George, do you have a 695 too?
    No I don't, I have the 566, that's all my wife would leave me buy. If I had the money I probably would. I think it one of the best bikes out there.
    I had this clicking in my pedals that would drive you nuts, I packed them with grease and it did help some, but not all together. I asked someone on this forum about them and he didn't reply. So I just bought the Shimano's and I'll have to wait and see what happens. Looking at the reviews, the Shimano's got a better rating than the Look, so I thought I would give them a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

LOOK Keo 2 Max (Carbon) noise...

Hey,

This IS interesting; my LOOKS have been also quite noisy (in DRY conditions usually). After a few miles, the noise gets worse - a persistent and regular click-clack. I did lube the (cleat) springs = no improvement at all.

Any ideas which really also work for dry conditions?

PJH

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try taking the pedal spindles out and grease them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I love my Blades, but I recently noticed some noise coming from them. Upon inspection, I discovered that the body of the pedal is loose on the spindle. It is not screwed tight and I can unscrew it by hand. I tried to screw them but since the body is composite, I don't want to over screw them and break the body. So, they came loose again after only a couple of rides. Anyone else got the same problem? Would using an adhesive, such as Loctite correct the problem?

Many thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    So after reading this (and registering for the forum) I removed my Keo Carbon Blades, cleaned the pedals and the grip cleats with a toothbrush, sprayed all pedal surfaces with furniture polish, and regreased the threads on the pedals. Creak gone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rfj1862 View Post
    So after reading this (and registering for the forum) I removed my Keo Carbon Blades, cleaned the pedals and the grip cleats with a toothbrush, sprayed all pedal surfaces with furniture polish, and regreased the threads on the pedals. Creak gone.
    Lucky you. I phoned Look France (I live in France and speak fluent French) and they told me to try the 'normal' cleats (I have the ones you can walk in easier - basically the same but with extra rubber knobs on).

So I cut off the softer rubber knobs and basically ended up with normal cleats. I removed the oval 'memory' pad in the middle too. Still got the squeak.

These pedals are only 3 weeks old, so I know it's not the bearings or the axle, and the noise is so loud, it's clearly coming from the cleat/pedal interface.

So now I tried electrical tape on both the pedal platform and the cleat. If that fails I'll try the furniture polish......and if that fails I'm getting Dura Ace.....and stuff the 50g extra,,,,,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    OK so tried the furniture polish, and yes, it helped alot, the noise almost went away for a whole ride.

Then switched cleats for a new grey pair, with no walk pads, and teflon sections.

No noise. Yipeee! 2 hours so far, lets see how long this lasts.....!

Fecal indicator
    I just bought some Look Keo Carbon 2 pedals, came with gray cleats.

on only the 3rd ride, I'm getting some annoying creaks, not loud...but still very annoying for brand new equipment.

going to try the furniture polish trick...

but, even if that works, this is really bs to be dealing with a fairly pervasive problem that the mfg should be able to identify and fix.

my old Shimano Ultegras were bulletproof...never heard a peep out of them in over 10K miles.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I just bought some Look Keo Carbon 2 pedals, came with gray cleats.

on only the 3rd ride, I'm getting some annoying creaks, not loud...but still very annoying for brand new equipment.

going to try the furniture polish trick...

but, even if that works, this is really bs to be dealing with a fairly pervasive problem that the mfg should be able to identify and fix.

my old Shimano Ultegras were bulletproof...never heard a peep out of them in over 10K miles.
    Yep, this is a Look problem alright. Check that your gray cleats a) have no walking pads on them, and b) are two tone - the plastic should be 'Teflonised' and white at the top and bottom. Those work for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi folks,
    I ride the 695 (2011), this model comes with the Keo Blades. And I've got the issues with the squeaky pedals as well, it just sounds awful! Like a pair of rats tied to your chain stays! At first I thought it might be a really dry chain or my BB!
    Went back and googled it, and realized a whole bunch of people had problems. Apparently, its a 'system' problem, its not the cleat alone, nor the metal plate on the pedal. Its both of them working on each other. Squeaking occurs because of vibration caused by friction of the cleat moving on the metal plate. And apparently, the squeaking is more pronounced on the newer 'walkabout' cleats. (its has a rubber surface to increase walkability). What I did was just get some chain lube and lube the metal surface, as well as the corresponding surfaces of the cleat.. and the 'rats' were free! The 695 came with 2 sets of cleats, I was told that the harder (older model) pair of cleats do not squeak. Hope this helps!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I gave up on Look pedals (Delta and Keo) after many, many thousands of miles of squeaking. I switched to Time RXS, best thing I ever did.

IMHO the Look system is fundamentally flawed. First, you walk on the cleat/pedal surface. Second, the wear compensation is ill thought out (the rubber nub) and is in the wrong place, at the centre of the pedal.

Basically as soon as you walk on the pedal, you start to round out the corners. You also pick up grit on the cleat/pedal surface which grinds away more as you ride. Then the wear compensation can only press harder at the centre of the cleat, not the edges where the wear takes place. Soon the cleat rocks as you pedal. Squeak.

The Time RXS system is brilliant. First, you walk on rubberised stilts, not the cleat/pedal surface, so it's above the crud and doesn't wear. Second, the wear compensation is a clever spring acting on the corners of the cleat, not the centre. Third, the cleat/pedal clip is metal on metal, not plastic on plastic.

The upshot is, they don't squeak, they last ages (3-4 times as long as Looks in my experience), and you can WALK like a normal human being. You don't even scratch wooden floors. I could dance the tango in Times, if I could dance of course.

Time pedals are probably the single biggest improvement to my cycling life in the last 10 years. Particularly since the biggest injuries I've sustained cycling have been slipping over trying to walk in Look cleats!

Give 'em a try. I've not played with i-Clics yet, they look a step too far to me. But try a cheapo pair of RXSs, see what you think. I bet you love them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by justin. View Post
    There have been improvements made to the cleats. If your having any sort of issues, please feel free to PM me or email me (email is probably best) and I will try to take care of you.

jlubecki at lookcycle-usa dot com
    Add me to the list with issue. Sent you an email Justin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I have had Look Keo carbons on my bike for 8 years now. Sometimes they start to squeak after wet, dirty rides.

I find a quick clean with a damp cloth and then rub an old candle around the rear of the cleat and front of the cleat does the trick everytime.

I dont see it as a big issue, just part of my bike maintenance regime to be done a couple of times a year.
    Only cows need calves

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

squeak cleats

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Soo View Post
    I have a new pair of 12Nm Blade KEO pedals and whenever they get sightly wet they irritatingly continue to squeak under power with every pedal stroke. On closer inspection it appears that when the "adjustment memory pad" in the center of the cleat gets slightly wet i.e. walking on damp grass or riding in the frosty morning, they will both start to squeaking. The Look instruction manual specifically advises against removing this small oval rubber pad in the center but I don't need them and cannot tolerate the incessant squeaking. Has anyone else encountered this or resolved the squeak? TIA Brendon
    Id clean out the mechanical pivot of the blade and lube it with a long lasting wax like what finish line offers. keep soft pad in place if you want a more stable float otherwise you float too easy, just wipe cleat clean as much as you can to keep dirt from wearing mating surfaces. its probably elements that create mechanical squeak, otherwise LOOK keo pedals seem to keep my knees running better so i stick with them.
    Also, check tension too and try a more moderate tension, dont leave at min tension as it was out of package, last thing is, the teflon insert cleats work smoother and reduce wear on Binding. try all that and see if that helps.It seems most road pedals need tlc to work smooth, not like with the old fixed cleats with caged pedals!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Same squeaking problem with Look Keo Blade. 2 weeks old. Grey cleats with rubber pads.
    Some mention to try 'Furniture polish' , You mean this ?

Attachment 294893

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

keo blade pedals

Quote Originally Posted by nonamed View Post
    Same squeaking problem with Look Keo Blade. 2 weeks old. Grey cleats with rubber pads.
    Some mention to try 'Furniture polish' , You mean this ?

Attachment 294893
    Hi
    one way to allevate this squeak bs is the clean cleat good every other week, you can wet a toothbrush with simple green and scrub all around cleat and rinse out with a spray bottle of rinse water, then shake shoes to dry. For quick follow up having clean rags with rubbing alchohol will make cleat cleaning quick. I would leave soft grip pad in place to so that float isnt to easy or "slick".
    YOu can clean pedals quickly with a hose flushing dirt off cleat binding surfaces and out of the pivot (flex?) mech of the cleat interface as well and wipe of inox platform too (The platform embeds cleat with the metal btw and contributes to that "squeak") just flush out the pedals as you do the rest of the bike after dirty bad weather rides but be careful not to blast water into the pedal bearing seal.
    So keeping the red or grey cleats clean of the metal on a reg basis should help alot.Maybe LOOK should see this and listen, even with all the big wins by pro Triathletes and road racers despite this pesky issue

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

SQUEAKY Look KEO Blade Pedals.....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman68 View Post
    Hi
    one way to allevate this squeak bs is the clean cleat good every other week, you can wet a toothbrush with simple green and scrub all around cleat and rinse out with a spray bottle of rinse water, then shake shoes to dry. For quick follow up having clean rags with rubbing alchohol will make cleat cleaning quick. I would leave soft grip pad in place to so that float isnt to easy or "slick".
    YOu can clean pedals quickly with a hose flushing dirt off cleat binding surfaces and out of the pivot (flex?) mech of the cleat interface as well and wipe of inox platform too (The platform embeds cleat with the metal btw and contributes to that "squeak") just flush out the pedals as you do the rest of the bike after dirty bad weather rides but be careful not to blast water into the pedal bearing seal.
    So keeping the red or grey cleats clean of the metal on a reg basis should help alot.Maybe LOOK should see this and listen, even with all the big wins by pro Triathletes and road racers despite this pesky issue
    Hi, thank You for advice . Unfortunaty I have already tried cleaning the cleats and metal pad surfave with tootbrush and then cloth with alcohol, however the squeaking still occur. maybe a little less but still..
    annoying a lot

maybe i should try some lithium grease or sth on the rubber pads on cleats and metal pad surface :/ but then it would attract dirt easily... some advice trying 'furniture polish' but i am not sure if they mean that spray ?

furthermore i would like to dissesemble the pedals, clean and grease spindle and other parts but I can not find any manual on this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nonamed View Post
    Hi, thank You for advice . Unfortunaty I have already tried cleaning the cleats and metal pad surfave with tootbrush and then cloth with alcohol, however the squeaking still occur. maybe a little less but still..
    annoying a lot

maybe i should try some lithium grease or sth on the rubber pads on cleats and metal pad surface :/ but then it would attract dirt easily... some advice trying 'furniture polish' but i am not sure if they mean that spray ?

furthermore i would like to dissesemble the pedals, clean and grease spindle and other parts but I can not find any manual on this.
    Same thing here; coming from Keo Blades to Keo Blade 2's.

Same old issue.

Firstly; DON"T USE THE 'Cafe Cleat's the walking ones; these squeak like crazy and you will never get rid of it.

Even with the normal cleats, these can squeak a bit, seems to depend on length of ride, temp, humidity, etc. Keep them clean, and use silicone spray, wax, vaseline, etc. to keep at bay.

There is NOTHING out there on how to service these pedals. But I did it as I had a noise that was not cleat related. You need to prise off the little cap at the outer end with a very fine screwdriver. This reveals a small allen bolt. Holding the main allen bolt, unscrew the small one. You can then pop the whole axle out. My main bearing was dry, so I greased it up, reassembled and no more noise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12