Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

1 month and counting...

...Until I get hitched!

So, I'm trying to lose a few LB's in order for the big day, and I'm trying out this whole "dieting" thing. Being that I'm on my feet, running or briskly walking most of the day, I've already lost 10lbs or so just from my job, but I'm working on the next 10ish lbs. So, I was wondering if any of you moreons could help me get a solid diet plan down. Here's what I have thus far:
    -2 eggs and an apple for breakfast
    -Lunch is a lunchmeat sandwich; apple and/or orange and/or banana; Greek yogurt; and a granola bar
    -If I "have" to eat out, I'm doing some kind of rice bowl/naked burrito from Qdoba
    -Dinner is whatever...although I'm really trying to axe as much gluten as I can, as well as carbs.
    -No beer or soda during the week, only water, coffee, or tea (heavy on the water, 2 cups of coffee in the morning, tea when I get Qdoba)

So, does that sound good enough to lose a few lbs in 4 weeks? Severely reduce wheat/gluten, complex carb, and processed sugar intake; eat a little more protein; keep hustling at work, and dust the ol' bike off?

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Reduce your portion sizes on everything by 1/3rd.Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Fiber. Eat less, more full. More bathroom.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    For lunch have something besides the lunchmeat sandwich. That crap is full of sodium and preservatives.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't just do cardio. Strength training is very helpful for weight loss. Dumbells are helpful, but body weight exercises (push ups, pull ups, dips, squats) can go a long way.

More cowbell!
    Honestly, for me, it's all about counting my calories. I us My Fitness Pal on my iphone and track everything that I eat, every day. Their food database is massive, so it's not very difficult.

The daily caloric need (base metabolic rate) is based on height, weight, gender, etc. and then multiplied by a factor based on your activity level. I chose the most conservative for a sedentary lifestyle so that any exercise is a bonus calorie burn. Then I set up a daily 500 calorie deficit to get my daily goal intake. Many days I'm able to keep it below that intake.

I haven't restricted any foods from my diet, but by tracking the calories it becomes inherent to stay away from empty calories like regular soda. I still put regular sugar in my coffee, so I have to offset those calories somewhere else in my daily intake.

When I ride my bike a few days each week it burns a ton of calories so I can eat a bit heavier that day and not worry about it, or eat normally and have a much bigger deficit.

Every week or two I allow myself a cheat day to stay sane.

Since I started tracking calories at the beginning of May I've lost 11.6 pounds.
    DFL > DNF > DNS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Get rid of that granola bar. Granola is junk food. I see no salad or salad-like stuff.

Frankly, it looks like you are undernourishing yourself, you aren't eating enough good stuff at all. There's no point cutting calories if you're still eating junk.

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like a pretty solid plan. You can get rid of quite a few pounds just by cutting out the carbs for a few weeks.

We have met the enemy...
    Eat moar veggies and fruit....
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

n00bsauce
    1 month and counting...-sumo.jpgThis....
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Pencil of death
    Ditto Myfitness Plan app. I've just counted calories, but not changed my exercise and have dropped 15 pounds. You get used to the smaller portions and make better choices.

Congratulations, btw.
    Ride more, whine less - HTFU.

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Ignore list: AM999 / Al Morrison.

Banned forever.....or not
    All your worries can be over if you start runnin' now.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    Don't get married. Many, many, many problems solved. You'll thank me later, or at least know you've been warned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What MOPI said, at least as it pertains to calories! When you have an eating buddy, it's easy to overeat. Be sure to pay attention in the house together.

Granola bars are a crock. I only get the Nature Valley Oats & Honey thing when the vending machine is out of everything else. That damn bar has nearly 400 calories. I would choose the M&Ms or Oreos over it any day- that stuff I eat little by little over a day or two, even three. The bars are impossible to wrap back up! Like PopTart packaging.

Usually I get Mr. Nature nuts/raisins/sunflower seeds. Or, I keep almonds and raisins in my desk.

Agreed about the processed deli meats- that's poison. Try smoked salmon on a roll with some onion- I don't miss the cream cheese, salmon is oily enough, and a roll is way less fattening than a bagel.

Keep healthy stuff in the house, and have vegetables ready to add to everything. Pizza, pasta, soup, just add your favorite vegetables. Bonus points for sauteeing the vegetables ahead of time in olive oil.

And hot water. When I'm done with my coffee, I rinse out my commuter mug and fill with hot water once or twice before the day is over. I actually prefer sipping that to soda or other drinks. Weird, but it works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_guy View Post
    For lunch have something besides the lunchmeat sandwich. That crap is full of sodium and preservatives.
    Also, most 'breads' are the shortest path to gaining weight.

Master debator.
    Sounds like you're doing fine now, why diet just for a few pictures? Better to make a lifestyle change that you can stick with, wouldn't it be great to look good 10 years after the day you got married instead of looking back and sighing about that one day?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Jenny Crank diet. Never known anyone on meth who was overweight.
    Sent from my Personal Computer while tapping on the keyboard

RoadBikeReview Member

1 month and counting...

Cutting out gluten is a good move. I lost 12 pounds in 6 months when I did that.

Moderatus Puisne
    Are you overweight?

Is "ride your bike a ton" more an option?

Is the goal to "be a better you," or, to look your best for the camera? If the latter, there are sure some short-term tricks you could do which would reduce your weight on the scale, and, especially, your appearance of weight, by a fair bit. I am not sure if you want to be distracted by all of that.

Also, congratulations!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I lost 70 pounds last season. I counted calories and used an app to do that. I used "lose it!" but I also hear "My Fitness Pal" is a fine app also [both have free download versions].
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I hear you on the veggie end of things...My plan was suspect from the get go, as it was laid out for me by a guy with questionable qualifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    Are you overweight?

Is "ride your bike a ton" more an option?

Is the goal to "be a better you," or, to look your best for the camera? If the latter, there are sure some short-term tricks you could do which would reduce your weight on the scale, and, especially, your appearance of weight, by a fair bit. I am not sure if you want to be distracted by all of that.

Also, congratulations!
    I'm not overweight...I could stand to lose 10-15lbs thought. Riding my bike a ton, ideally, is an option. Realistically, it's crunch time (for the wedding) and I can't make enough time consistently to ride regularly. I'm really trying to get out when I can though. As far as looking good for the camera, yeah that's part of it. It's mostly something that I want to do for myself, and I have a good, concrete date to do it by. I've gained a whole 15lbs over the past 5 years, but it shows mostly in my face, so I do look younger now than when I was 21.

30 mpdb
    Meth binge and/or start running.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

1 month and counting...

So what do you guys think of going gluten free?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    First off, I live alone, so there are no compromises. Through trial and error, I believe I'm gluten intolerant. I lost most of my gut after about a month of being gluten free. The last 5lbs or so, took longer. That was about a year ago. I was 71.5" at my last doctor visit and weighed 148.5 this morning. I have never been this light in my adult life (48).
    It has been a lifestyle/package deal for me. I eat better quality foods, local butcher shop meats and eggs. But, mostly brown rice, beans, steel cut oats, vegetables and fruit.
    How I'm living does not travel well and requires a person to plan ahead. I do a fair amount of cycling, jogging and weight work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I know nothing of "gluten intolerance".... other than it is very trendy with the Hollywood types. What I do know for a fact is gluten products (grain based foods) are very high in calories and generally have little more nutrition than does sugar.

Avoiding gluten products should make it easier to drop a few pounds.... and I guess that is your goal. You may want avoid (or strictly limit) dairy products and limit meats to only the CDC recommendations as well.

If you cut the "crap" out of your diet.... and get down to mostly fresh fruits and veggies along with strictly regulated dietary amounts of proteins and such... calories will naturally be low. Then the pounds should just melt off. But its best to count the calories..... don't just guessamate.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast