Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    the fist

A-10 Thunderbolt Appreciation Thread

In charge.
    Last edited by JohnHenry; 08-27-2008 at 10:53 AM.
    FlexiSexual

waterproof*
    Want.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Oh. Wow. Simply beautiful.

The Naval air station does training maneuvers down the valley here, occasionally. The roar will sometimes take you to your knees. Absolutely fabulous.

Weed

Palm trees & sunshine!
    I used to work near Willow Grove NAS. The sky was usually thick with A-10s. They have such a distinctive whine to them. I haven't seen or heard one in years but I'm sure I'd know the sound without even looking up.

Now all I get to hear is the lumbering rumble of C-17s in pattern to/from Andrews. It's just not the same.

supervillain

scruffy nerf herder

Dude...

What is the river down there, or I guess up there...from Springfield... I dont really remember... but its the piss, barf and liquor scented river where all the college kids go have their float trips. Sometimes when the river is low, it would take all day to float down the few miles to the landing. You could almost walk from one canoe/raft to the other.

Nonetheless, I think the Air National Guard or whomever had the base down there... perhaps around Fort Leonard Wood or something... who knows... anyway, we were floating about fourteen sheets to the wind when those suckers zipped just over the trees by maybe 30 or 40 feet. So, yes... four of these suckers screaming unexpectedly in formation, about 80 feet over your head... makes a quite lasting impression.

The A-10 and the F-15 have always been my favorite of the post-vietnam war era of fighting aircraft.

My son has an a-10 replica hanging from his ceiling. We could also talk about the Corsair or Mustang, but thats another story altogether.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

scruffy nerf herder
    I also lived in St. Louis growing up where McDonnell Douglas had a big presence. F-4s were everywhere. There is nothing like the sound of a Phantom. The afterburners on those suckers were noisy as h e l l. My next door neighbor was a phantom pilot in Vietnam. He has some interesting stories.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by funknuggets
    What is the river down there, or I guess up there...from Springfield... I dont really remember... but its the piss, barf and liquor scented river where all the college kids go have their float trips. Sometimes when the river is low, it would take all day to float down the few miles to the landing. You could almost walk from one canoe/raft to the other.

Nonetheless, I think the Air National Guard or whomever had the base down there... perhaps around Fort Leonard Wood or something... who knows... anyway, we were floating about fourteen sheets to the wind when those suckers zipped just over the trees by maybe 30 or 40 feet. So, yes... four of these suckers screaming unexpectedly in formation, about 80 feet over your head... makes a quite lasting impression.

The A-10 and the F-15 have always been my favorite of the post-vietnam war era of fighting aircraft.

My son has an a-10 replica hanging from his ceiling. We could also talk about the Corsair or Mustang, but thats another story altogether.

Gee I'm nowhere near Springfield. I'm in the PNW and the river I live on does not smell like pee.

I like the F-15's too, altho I just saw a pilot being interviewed who callled them "archaic" with a bit of a snear on his face. (gasp). Well, true but they're still classic.

Classic cars? I've always been a goat girl. But apparently GTO's are now a Lance car. I can't like anything Lance likes lest I be accused of being a groupie. But I'm older than him so I liked them first.

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by funknuggets

I grew up near Holloman AFB, New Mexico. F-15's are a beautiful craft.

The A-10 touches something in me (innermost me) with it's raw, bristling, absolute in purpose functionality. It's amazing this aircraft may end up with 50 or more years in service, by the time it is retired.

I have loved it since childhood. Maybe it's all the things I wanted to be as a boy and even as a man.
    FlexiSexual

Pixie Sticks and Politics
    The Warthog is my favorite too. My neighbor retired from the USAF as a Warthog mechanic. He gave me a couple of replica rounds from the cannon (to scale). He took the casing, filled it with sand, and molded a fiberglass tip as the bullet. I have it in my workshop. The size of those things is amazing.
    I want to know why Hemingway cracked. Sometimes truth is stanger than fiction.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Hells yeah:

Rollin' Stones
    The A-10 is a workhorse. The fact that continuous fire from the Gau-8 cannon could stop the aircraft from forward flight is an aviation arms "Ripley's Believe it or Not" moment. After seeing one up close and the ammunition that the gun spews, I believe it. A-10 + 1,000
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

Gruntled
    Gotta love the A-10 for pure functionality; being able to inflict major damage on the enemy and get the pilot home safely.

As for looks, the F-4 Phantom was always one of my favorites. Love that long nose and downswept tail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-10 Thunderbolt Appreciation Thread-800px-f-4_phantom_in_flight_apr_1982.jpg  
    It's funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious.

Spicy Dumpling
    Of the jets, the A-10 is one of my favorites. I remember seeing one come at me head on at low level when I was driving from Flagstaff to Phoenix. I was on a plateau and he came up from below. I could see his face as he flew over.

I'm an aircraft NUT, but I generally don't like a plane unless it has props. Prettiest Aircraft for me Bearcat or Focke-Wolf 190-Dora.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Cheese is my copilot
    There's an air-to-ground gunnery range about 30 miles east of here where you used to be able to watch A-10 and F-16 strafing runs from bleachers. Good fun for the whole family. BRAAP!
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    From what the Air Force has to offer for ground attack aircraft, the A-10 is still the soldier's best friend.

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003
    I've always thought that if some country was going to have a one type aircraft airforce to simplify maintenance and spare parts then outfit that airforce with only the A-10. Kind of like having a pet gorilla, great when it's in a good mood, best to be in a different region if it isn't in a good mood. Ain't the fastest, but it dang sure is versatile.

Now I'm going to have to go out and find a scale model of one to build up.

edit: I might as well get a Gee Bee model to build up as well, I like those too. The ultimate 'toon plane.
    <<a sig line goes here>>

your text here
    too bad a lot of the public doesnt know about this plane. i think in the gulf war it got some press. i remember seeing video of some of those coming back chewed up somethin good. i couldnt believe they were able to still fly.

the flying tank...
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Inching to 1000 (again)

Loading Ammo

In case you were wondering how.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-10 Thunderbolt Appreciation Thread-lm_304.jpg  

Climbs like a sprinter...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nazium
    Gotta love the A-10 for pure functionality; being able to inflict major damage on the enemy and get the pilot home safely.

As for looks, the F-4 Phantom was always one of my favorites. Love that long nose and downswept tail.
    Dude! I hadn't even seen your post and I was going to say exactly the same thing. The F-4 was a bad mofo.

"It's turtles all the way down."

banned
    Jan 2004

2nd coolest airplane ever, behind the F-86

Quote Originally Posted by teh moreon
    In charge.
    But it's close....
    http://www.two--four.net/Closet/Fuller_F-86.jpg

Captain Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    The roar will sometimes take you to your knees. Absolutely fabulous.

as teh lounje takes notes...
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

chaff
    wage peace not war
    Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.
    - Laurence J. Peter

Captain Obvious
    i've always been a fan of the F-16, but that A-10 sure is a workhorse.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

Maximum Gluteus
    Quote Originally Posted by teh moreon
    In charge.
    I believe that the A-10 was credited with an air-to-air shootdown in the first Gulf War Unpleasantness. Fabulous aircraft.

Military aircraft from the late '50s and early '60s are just flat out cool. F-8 Crusaders, F-4 Phantoms, A-4 Skyhawks, B-58 Hustler. (The F-8 was actually capable of taking off and flying with its wings folded, as several Naval avaitors unwittingly discovered during the Vietnam conflict). And don't forget the spiritual predecessor of the A-10, the Douglas Skyraider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-10 Thunderbolt Appreciation Thread-hhjconnie.jpg   A-10 Thunderbolt Appreciation Thread-loadedh.jpg   A-10 Thunderbolt Appreciation Thread-800px-f-8_crusader_on_hornet_2.jpg  
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast