RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

101 Year Old Test for 8th Graders

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dayum! I could get a solid C+ right now.

My 9th grader would get an F.

haole from the mainland
    Kinda gives you a new perspective on 'my grandfather only had an 8th grade education', doesn't it?

Tig
    Valar Morghulis
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy View Post
    Kinda gives you a new perspective on 'my grandfather only had an 8th grade education', doesn't it?
    Yep! I'd pass, but not by much.

My grandfather had an 8th grade education, typical of farm families back then. He was 4F for the army in WWII so he started working for the local paper.

He retired as vice president of national advertising in the early 80's. His entire career with one company/paper. Hard work and being a great listener were his strengths. He's 94 now and thankfully still with us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Yep! I'd pass, but not by much.

My grandfather had an 8th grade education, typical of farm families back then. He was 4F for the army in WWII so he started working for the local paper.

He retired as vice president of national advertising in the early 80's. His entire career with one company/paper. Hard work and being a great listener were his strengths. He's 94 now and thankfully still with us.
    Just goes to show that formal higher education does not necessarily make a human more intelligent.

Great pic!
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    That is really not that much considering students had an entire 180-day school year to learn all that. Nowadays, students could learn each of those sections in their entirety in one week, and still have time for P.E.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I would bet that 80% of today's college graduates could not correctly answer 50% of the questions.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by john_steed View Post
    That is really not that much considering students had an entire 180-day school year to learn all that. Nowadays, students could learn each of those sections in their entirety in one week, and still have time for P.E.
    If that assertion is true, I have to ask this question....

...why don't they?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What's sad is that all those smart kids just went on to work the fields and factories by 9th grade. Nowadays, you have people with high school + 4+ years of college who can't answer those!

haole from the mainland
    Right on gramps!

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Just goes to show that formal higher education does not necessarily make a human more intelligent.
    Anybody that's been to grad school can tell you that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I'm surprised to see a couple of typos and/or spelling mistakes in the questions.

Except for the history and some of the geography, I would do very well on the test.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com

Weed
    Quote Originally Posted by john_steed View Post
    In my local schools they don't even do P.E. anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Re: 101 Year Old Test for 8th Graders

Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    If that assertion is true, I have to ask this question....

...why don't they?
    In general, they spend less time on rote memorization and more on abstract concepts. You can get a lot of the answers for those questions by simply looking them up. Today's eighth graders have often completed algebra, if not introductory calculus. They may have learned basic programming, which implies familiarity with logic and boolean algebra. Those were high school or college topics 100 years ago. A less hick 8th grade 100 years ago would have been introducing latin, which is fairly rare today. It's easy to pick contrived examples of how things were better or people were smarter in the good old days, but the reality is more complicated and neither better or worse, just different priorities for a different world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    What's sad is that all those smart kids just went on to work the fields and factories by 9th grade. Nowadays, you have people with high school + 4+ years of college who can't answer those!
    YEAH BUT those smart 8 graders 100 years ago couldn't navigate the interwebs as well as our 8 year olds of today can. They were also leaner and more bigoted. The college graduates of today have more information at their beck and call and are also more worldly and empathetic in their outlook. Hard to compare eras.
    Edit Signature here---------->

Moderatus Puisne
    I don't understand what is meant by the grammar questions, could do the percentages they ask by fourth grade, and have no idea what the battle of lundy's lane is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I watched a documentary on the boxer Jack Johnson a little while ago and a portion of a letter he wrote to a friend was read in it. He had dropped out of the 8th grade and his parents where poor uneducated former slaves. The eloquence, insight and obvious intelligence in it was pretty shocking. I would not expect a Harvard grad these days to be capable of forming such a letter. Pretty depressing.

Tig
    Valar Morghulis
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeshakeshake View Post
    I watched a documentary on the boxer Jack Johnson a little while ago and a portion of a letter he wrote to a friend was read in it. He had dropped out of the 8th grade and his parents where poor uneducated former slaves. The eloquence, insight and obvious intelligence in it was pretty shocking. I would not expect a Harvard grad these days to be capable of forming such a letter. Pretty depressing.
    Miles Davis' A Tribute to Jack Johnson is a worthy, well... tribute.
    One of his finest albums during the transition towards the electric era.