Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    699

    101 Year Old Test for 8th Graders


  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    338
    Dayum! I could get a solid C+ right now.

    My 9th grader would get an F.

  3. #3
    haole from the mainland
    Reputation: jorgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,966
    Kinda gives you a new perspective on 'my grandfather only had an 8th grade education', doesn't it?

  4. #4
    Tig
    Tig is offline
    Valar Morghulis
    Reputation: Tig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy View Post
    Kinda gives you a new perspective on 'my grandfather only had an 8th grade education', doesn't it?
    Yep! I'd pass, but not by much.


    My grandfather had an 8th grade education, typical of farm families back then. He was 4F for the army in WWII so he started working for the local paper.

    He retired as vice president of national advertising in the early 80's. His entire career with one company/paper. Hard work and being a great listener were his strengths. He's 94 now and thankfully still with us.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Yep! I'd pass, but not by much.


    My grandfather had an 8th grade education, typical of farm families back then. He was 4F for the army in WWII so he started working for the local paper.

    He retired as vice president of national advertising in the early 80's. His entire career with one company/paper. Hard work and being a great listener were his strengths. He's 94 now and thankfully still with us.
    Just goes to show that formal higher education does not necessarily make a human more intelligent.

    Great pic!
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18
    That is really not that much considering students had an entire 180-day school year to learn all that. Nowadays, students could learn each of those sections in their entirety in one week, and still have time for P.E.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    421
    I would bet that 80% of today's college graduates could not correctly answer 50% of the questions.

  8. #8
    corning my own beef
    Reputation: JustTooBig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by john_steed View Post
    That is really not that much considering students had an entire 180-day school year to learn all that. Nowadays, students could learn each of those sections in their entirety in one week, and still have time for P.E.
    If that assertion is true, I have to ask this question....

    ...why don't they?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

    ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA


    A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,826
    What's sad is that all those smart kids just went on to work the fields and factories by 9th grade. Nowadays, you have people with high school + 4+ years of college who can't answer those!

  10. #10
    haole from the mainland
    Reputation: jorgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,966
    Right on gramps!

  11. #11
    haole from the mainland
    Reputation: jorgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,966
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Just goes to show that formal higher education does not necessarily make a human more intelligent.
    Anybody that's been to grad school can tell you that.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    707
    I'm surprised to see a couple of typos and/or spelling mistakes in the questions.

    Except for the history and some of the geography, I would do very well on the test.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

    My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com

  13. #13
    Weed
    Reputation: zyzbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by john_steed View Post
    That is really not that much considering students had an entire 180-day school year to learn all that. Nowadays, students could learn each of those sections in their entirety in one week, and still have time for P.E.
    In my local schools they don't even do P.E. anymore.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    93

    Re: 101 Year Old Test for 8th Graders

    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    If that assertion is true, I have to ask this question....

    ...why don't they?
    In general, they spend less time on rote memorization and more on abstract concepts. You can get a lot of the answers for those questions by simply looking them up. Today's eighth graders have often completed algebra, if not introductory calculus. They may have learned basic programming, which implies familiarity with logic and boolean algebra. Those were high school or college topics 100 years ago. A less hick 8th grade 100 years ago would have been introducing latin, which is fairly rare today. It's easy to pick contrived examples of how things were better or people were smarter in the good old days, but the reality is more complicated and neither better or worse, just different priorities for a different world.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    What's sad is that all those smart kids just went on to work the fields and factories by 9th grade. Nowadays, you have people with high school + 4+ years of college who can't answer those!
    YEAH BUT those smart 8 graders 100 years ago couldn't navigate the interwebs as well as our 8 year olds of today can. They were also leaner and more bigoted. The college graduates of today have more information at their beck and call and are also more worldly and empathetic in their outlook. Hard to compare eras.
    Edit Signature here---------->

  16. #16
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,070
    I don't understand what is meant by the grammar questions, could do the percentages they ask by fourth grade, and have no idea what the battle of lundy's lane is.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11
    I watched a documentary on the boxer Jack Johnson a little while ago and a portion of a letter he wrote to a friend was read in it. He had dropped out of the 8th grade and his parents where poor uneducated former slaves. The eloquence, insight and obvious intelligence in it was pretty shocking. I would not expect a Harvard grad these days to be capable of forming such a letter. Pretty depressing.

  18. #18
    Tig
    Tig is offline
    Valar Morghulis
    Reputation: Tig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeshakeshake View Post
    I watched a documentary on the boxer Jack Johnson a little while ago and a portion of a letter he wrote to a friend was read in it. He had dropped out of the 8th grade and his parents where poor uneducated former slaves. The eloquence, insight and obvious intelligence in it was pretty shocking. I would not expect a Harvard grad these days to be capable of forming such a letter. Pretty depressing.
    Miles Davis' A Tribute to Jack Johnson is a worthy, well... tribute.
    One of his finest albums during the transition towards the electric era.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 02:39 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 06:45 AM
  3. 20 year old ride, 20 year old bike, 42 year old fat guy.
    By crossracer in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 10:13 PM
  4. 3rd graders plot against teacher (real)
    By naawillis in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 02:13 AM
  5. avatar test- cross man, and photo test
    By Coolhand in forum SiteFeedback/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook