RoadBikeReview Member

1894 Morgan Silver Dollar

Can I tell you all to "suck it" as I slum it with Elon Musk or do I get a steak dinner at Outback?

https://www.coinstudy.com/1894-morga...lar-value.html

Mine appears to be between uncirc and ex fine so I guess the Specialized Venga is out (or maybe he has more than one).

Russian Troll Farmer
    Depends, which mint was it struck at? San Francisco and New Orleans are pretty common, but Philadelphia is rare.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Proud luddite
    I knew a kid in high school who got into his dadís coin collection and spent a bunch of Morgan dollars as cash. I think he bought a pizza and played games at the arcade with the money. Needless to say, his dad was not a happy camper. 😁

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Can I tell you all to "suck it" as I slum it with Elon Musk or do I get a steak dinner at Outback?
    Winner! You get both!

2018 Elon Musk Stoned Values

1) Lightly-Baked 2)Fully-Baked 3)Stick a Fork in Me, it's Time for a Bloomin' Onion!!!

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post

https://www.coinstudy.com/1894-morga...lar-value.html

Mine appears to be between uncirc and ex fine so I guess the Specialized Venga is out (or maybe he has more than one).
    Coin grades aren't arbitrary like that; if your coin has any evidence of circulation, even if it's an otherwise pristine coin, it is not "uncirculated" grade.

Also, for grading to be worth anything, it should be done by a professional, certified in doing just that (cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_grading). Otherwise, one will be stuck arguing with prospective buyers who don't see your grading as accurate, whether it is (unlikely, really) or not (much more likely, IME).

Finally, collectibles in general have taken significant hits since the last recession. Turns out these kids today don't have the interest in archiving coins like their ancestors did (stamps are even worse, and don't get me started on sports cards). A decent dealer may give you just over half of "book value" (and this depends on the "book" they use), not because they're dishonest or anything, but because they need to have a profit margin, and may sit on those coins for awhile before turning them over.

Just finished selling a relative's coin collection, lots of high-quality mint sets, but honestly, the metallurgical value was more important than the numismatic value. Four big boxes of coins, maybe a dozen or so that were worth the bulk of the $20,000 it sold for.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    1893S seems to be the Holy Grail for Morgan dollars.

I remember selling a few in the late 70s for about $4-5 each (they weren't anything special as far as condition and dates/mint marks go, we were smart enough for that) and using the money to buy albums and weed (not as smart).

I also cannibalized some of my baseball collection for similar endeavors. And some of those cards were worth a bit more than those Morgan dollars, but I got a bit more $ for my cards. (again, even less smart of me)