RoadBikeReview Member

The 1st Time U Heard Bohemian Rhapsody

I was the only black kid in my dorm (suite) and the white boys from Cleveland had the kickass stereo (which I was free to use) so for me, it was the first time hearing a lot of "standards" but I brought Aretha, James Brown and Earth Wind And Fire.

... but there is no way in hell that you could listen to just one track of Dark Side Of The Moon!!!!!!

gazing from the shadows
    I see there are MANY first takes on Queen and others.

The reaction to the rock out section on Bohemian Rhapsody seems to be universal.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I must have been 13, so winter of 1977-78, Madison, WI. Listened to it on the car radio (AM, sorry, don't remember the station - I don't think it was WLS, we usually listened to local stations in Madison, listened to WLS on road trips). My Mom had the swim team car pool that night. I think we had already dropped the other kids off.

I don't know why this is such a vivid memory, I guess I've heard the song so many hundreds of times over the years that the novelty has worn off, but it must have made quite an impression back then for me to have such a specific memory of listening to that song. I had listened to a lot of 60's/early 70's rock at that point (my parents were young, and we'd had a series of teen-aged foster kids), but I didn't really listen to much mid-70's rock until I was in High School and expanded beyond what my parents listened to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Same as D&MsDad for me except I was 15 years old. The first time I heard Bohemian Rhapsody, the song stuck in my head. It think it must have been because the song was so different and well done. It was the time of transistor radios (I had one I taped to my 10 speed) and AM radio stations.

As for Pink Floyd, I first song I remember of them is Another Brick in the Wall. I was in Grade 13 (a university prep year in high school) which we had our own "community" room that teachers actually had to knock on the door to come in and we could smoke in there, lol. We would play that song all the time, ironically we were doing our prep for University.

Pink Floyd's music is timeless and as close to perfection IMHO as you can get in modern music and is my favorite band of all time.

Can't get enough of Queen's live performance. So sad his life was cut short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkFHYODzRTs

While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Heard it on the radio when it first came out. Liked it enough to buy the vinyl (we called them LPs in those days). It didn't take long, though, for me to get bored enough by it to sell it at the local hippie record emporium. To my ears, too much flash. Not enough substance.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My mom brought home the album in '75.

I thought Queen II was better and that March of the Black Queen beat Bohemian Rhapsody.

Hard to be into something that your mom likes though

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Heard it on the radio when it first came out. Liked it enough to buy the vinyl (we called them LPs in those days). It didn't take long, though, for me to get bored enough by it to sell it at the local hippie record emporium. To my ears, too much flash. Not enough substance.

I have to say, I didn't like it when it when I first heard it; thought it was over-the-top, self-indulgent, and represented the worst of Seventies-era glam/prog-rock excesses.

It grew on me.

I saw Queen during that "Night at the Opera" tour. That really helped open my eyes to what Freddy Mercury was all about.

Floyd, I thought they went downhill after "Atom Heart Mother."

Just kidding. I thought they went downhill after "Dark Side of the Moon."
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

What the what???

The 1st Time U Heard Bohemian Rhapsody

deleted....
    Last edited by Opus51569; 1 Week Ago at 09:17 PM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    A junior high mock-rock or lipsync contest of some sort...a couple of the biggest nerds I've ever known reenacted the Wayne's World scene. My initial reaction, as I was incredibly tilted against anything rock, pop, or rap, was that Bohemian Rhapsody was incredibly forced, disingenuous, and parodying rock music in a poor manner. It wasn't until a few years later that I began understanding and appreciating classic rock, and a few years after that that I began to "get" Queen as a band.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I have to say, I didn't like it when it when I first heard it; thought it was over-the-top, self-indulgent, and represented the worst of Seventies-era glam/prog-rock excesses.
    I thought 'it sucks'. Had I been older I may have been able to expend upon that as you did.
    I subsequently like and appreciate it.

I can't remember the first time I heard Pink Floyd but liked their stuff right off the bat. I remember a discussion long ago about if they would still seem the same to our ears decades later. They do.

The one band back then that I remember thinking "Wow, this is really something different" and not knowing if I liked it, hated it or what but I knew I wanted to keep listening was the Talking Heads. It just sounded so fresh and unique to me. They come off and more 'ordinary' now but still sound awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    ha, those videos are great. That guy is very likable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Freddy Mercury's We are the Champions with vocals only:

Remarkable singing voice.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I thought 'it sucks'. Had I been older I may have been able to expend upon that as you did.
    I subsequently like and appreciate it.

I can't remember the first time I heard Pink Floyd but liked their stuff right off the bat. I remember a discussion long ago about if they would still seem the same to our ears decades later. They do.

The one band back then that I remember thinking "Wow, this is really something different" and not knowing if I liked it, hated it or what but I knew I wanted to keep listening was the Talking Heads. It just sounded so fresh and unique to me. They come off and more 'ordinary' now but still sound awesome.
    I felt that way about Elvis Costello, the night "Saturday Night Live" hipped me and a friend up to his existence. We had stayed up tripping expressly because the Sex Pistols were supposed to be the musical guests, but they pulled out at the last moment. Then this guy comes on our TV, and just blew our minds:

The Stunt That Got Elvis Costello Banned From Saturday Night Live (1977) | Open Culture
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I felt that way about Elvis Costello, the night "Saturday Night Live" hipped me and a friend up to his existence.
    Funny you mention that. My Talking Heads experience I mentioned was from SNL first and Elvis was exactly the same deal around the same time. I was blown away by him on SNL too.

I was 12ish years old so not tripping. Fortunately I had a friend who's older brother was in college so 'wicked cool' and had My Aim is True and Talking Heads first album so I could follow up on what I saw on SNL. I never would have heard that on the radio or been able to buy the albums for a few years where I grew up.

Edit: Pretty amazing it's 41 years later now and I still listen to and love My Aim is True. At this point it's safe to say what will never get old.