Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    And the arborist site has some guy criticizing the use of the term coil insisting that it be called ignition. ...
    I've invited him over to P.O. I'm Loblolly his end. That's Mister Loblolly. and

It's an F'in coil. Peoples are not my favourite peoples, sometimes.

Hope you straighten this out and keep us '

...did you know the word post is latin?
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor View Post
    It is hard to diagnose over the internet, but it could be as simple as the darn thing is overheating. It is air cooled...

How to Prevent Chainsaws From Overheating | Home Guides | SF Gate
    Actually, I just cleaned out all the fins on the cylinder and head when I cleaned it up to put the new carb in, they were pretty gross. Haven't used it since so....

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    As far as I've read, you've covered everything to code. Text book would be running the saw as normally doing so, but with the second fill-up, plug pulled replacing with a fresh gaped one to install. This would eliminate the notions on expansion. I'm stihl interested in the bar assembly for some reason, though. Running a chainsaw fuel supply empty does not affect outcomes. I've always run to dry.
    Well I put a brand new plug in this morning, so that would be the test of the plug, but I am fairly certain it was carburetion. The only thing I haven't done is replaced the fuel line.

When you say bar and chain assembly, are you thinking binding or chain brake?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Actually, I just cleaned out all the fins on the cylinder and head when I cleaned it up to put the new carb in, they were pretty gross. Haven't used it since so....
    It wouldn't be overheating. If your compression is good cold or hot and the draw start operates in the same manor, then you could check that one off the list. I would just like to see while pulling the plug what vapourises before that second tank.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Well I put a brand new plug in this morning, so that would be the test of the plug, but I am fairly certain it was carburetion. The only thing I haven't done is replaced the fuel line.

When you say bar and chain assembly, are you thinking binding or chain brake?
    Chain brake

This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 54 seconds.
    -

Frog Whisperer
    As far as I've read, you've covered everything to code. Text book would be running the saw as normally doing so, but with the second fill-up, plug pulled replacing with a fresh gaped one to install. This would eliminate the notions on expansion. I'm stihl interested in the bar assembly for some reason, though. Running a chainsaw fuel supply empty does not affect outcomes. I've always run to dry.
    If I did not run the saw dry, how would I know when it needed fuel? I have always run them dry unless i quit for the day before they run out. I ALWAYS fuel, sharpen and clean before I put them away. (just in case I need it at 4:00 am so my wife can get to work. And yes, it has happened)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    .5 mm, done...
    This sounds really to small, I have never had a plug with less than about 1/16" gap, I think they use thousand'ths for usa. If you really have it set to .5mm, I would imagine the plug is shorting out when it gets hot.
    BANNED

Frog Whisperer
    Chain brake

This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 54 seconds.
    Nope not the chain brake, checked it

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    This sounds really to small, I have never had a plug with less than about 1/16" gap, I think they use thousand'ths for usa. If you really have it set to .5mm, I would imagine the plug is shorting out when it gets hot.
    It calls out for .5mm [.020] but I'd be happier at .635mm [.025]. That's personal opinion.
    -

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    specs= .5mm or .021

Keep in mind I have been using the 028 since 1982, I bought the 028 Super used in dec of 2011. I maintain and service them myself and always have. Well, not true, in 2011 the old 028 had to go in to the shop for its first and only work (new crankcase seals, carb kit and intake manifold)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 stroke experts, come in her-028.jpg  

Sweet Potato Kugel
    What's the difference between the 028 and the 028 S aside from the longer stroke and wider girth? Any appearance stickers or carbonfibre? Is it lighter and/or by how much? Do you really feel the difference and can you upgrade a 028 to a 028 S inexpensively?
    -

Frog Whisperer
    What's the difference between the 028 and the 028 S aside from the longer stroke and wider girth? Any appearance stickers or carbonfibre? Is it lighter and/or by how much? Do you really feel the difference and can you upgrade a 028 to a 028 S inexpensively?
    Bigger engine, and I sure can tell the difference. Crank etc may be the same. My 028 WB is labeled as such (along with embossed "made in West Germany" on the crankcase) the 028 AV Super is labeled as that and was made in West Virginia. I will say for sure the MS 261 C-M is as strong or stronger than the super, 2 pounds lighter and better balanced. It took a few tanks to seat everything properly, but it is an INCREDIBLE saw. I was going to cut today but I am just plain tired, it is hovering a few degrees above freezing an everything is covered with ice and slicker than greased snot. Jim and I cut most of a cord on Sunday and i split and stacked it Tuesday. I think I cracked a rib about 2 weeks ago and splitting with the maul on Wednesday was probably not the brightest thing to do

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for starting these saw threads, I have an older 026 as well.
    The on/off switch can get dirty over time, I had to clean mine last summer. Also make sure you get a new air filter screen. Even though mine looked clean, turns out it was full of old thick oil, a new one made a big difference. Unrelated, but my lawn mower was hard starting hot, and a new plug and air filter cured it.

If you still have problems, also check the plug for spark quality when hot. Probably not much else to go wrong.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    Thanks for starting these saw threads, I have an older 026 as well.
    The on/off switch can get dirty over time, I had to clean mine last summer. Also make sure you get a new air filter screen. Even though mine looked clean, turns out it was full of old thick oil, a new one made a big difference. Unrelated, but my lawn mower was hard starting hot, and a new plug and air filter cured it.

If you still have problems, also check the plug for spark quality when hot. Probably not much else to go wrong.
    The new coil provides new on/off contacts so that is taken care of. The ground wire (kill switch) can short sometimes but that's not it either but it is a good tip. I bought 4 new air filters last year and I clean or check them every time I put them away. It's funny, so many people buy "not enough" saw. My new one, I went with the pro series. Consider, a logger makes maybe 6 cuts on a tree, for firewood we make maybe 30 or more! The old 02x series were mostly equivalent to the best of the farm and ranch saws of today.

Sweet Potato Kugel

When they're good, they're very good, but when they're bad, they're horrid.

For reference, I have yet to try it with both the new coil and new carburetor.
    I'd like to see the circuit on the coil, if a schematic was doable. There are times high heat can trigger a circuit to open up causing a no start.

Never mind. Did you know there is such a thing as Bipolar Junction Transistors

Stihl Breakerless transistor thyristor controller magnito
    -

Frog Whisperer
    I'd like to see the circuit on the coil, if a schematic was doable. There are times high heat can trigger a circuit to open up causing a no start.

Never mind.
    Since the first thing I did was replace the coil and it was still doing it , I am reasonably sure it is not the coil, although I did reset the air gap, I had the wrong specs. I have changed so many things since the last time I tried, I may never know what the problem actually was (although, my money is still on the carburetor (fingers crossed))

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I think 2 strokes would be a bit premature...
    Only if you think you might want to go back at some point in the future.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    Only if you think you might want to go back at some point in the future.
    Perfect answer.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    .... I am reasonably sure it is not the coil, although I did reset the air gap,....
    The magnetic energy falls off quickly with a greater gap, and from what I've understood, these Stihls are very high tolerance in those setting. Some individual use a match book or a sheet of paper but ...knowing you ...it's pure feeler gauge in a stamp standard order.

But again, now that you mentioned it, you've already went through the 1 fill-up and no start second fill-up ...proving that it ain't the coil.
    -

xxl
    Do you not remember OEH's thread of many years ago?
    Fill me in...no, wait, poor choice of words.

No.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Frog Whisperer
    The magnetic energy falls off quickly with a greater gap, and from what I've understood, these Stihls are very high tolerance in those setting. Some individual use a match book or a sheet of paper but ...knowing you ...it's pure feeler gauge in a stamp standard order.

But again, now that you mentioned it, you've already went through the 1 fill-up and no start second fill-up ...proving that it ain't the coil.
    No, second fill up STARTS fine, but it ran like total crap, it lost power under load and was totally ineffective as a saw. It ran and would keep starting if I killed it. It just had no power like it wasn't firing properly, whether it be from spark, air or fuel. And of course I used a feeler guage, why wouldn't I? Spec's say:

BREAKER POINT SETTING:
    0.35 to 0.40mm (0.014 to 0.016 in.)

I set it to .015

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Fill me in...no, wait, poor choice of words.

No.

I wish I could find it but she is the one who introduced us to that particular loungism. Since then,, it has been a truly customary subject line!

Thanks OEH!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I wish I could find it but she is the one who introduced us to that particular loungism. Since then,, it has been a truly customary subject line!

Thanks OEH!
    That thread was deleted. I just went through her stack and those post titles were funnier to read then the actual content. Well, not exactly because the content was hilarious too. So many talented individuals and brilliant minds.

I may or may not be drunk at this moment.

Friday night, fell off the truck

In approximately nine months, I will give birth

oh, my GAWSH. My 72 y/o MOM is writing smut!

Bears and other Screaming Creatures in My Yard

Another night alone with a bottle of Nyquil

Yes! Fish On! Fish reeled in! And a sad OEH.

No Fish On.

Apparently there are cyclists in my neighborhood
    -

Frog Whisperer
    That thread was deleted. I just went through her stack and those post titles were funnier to read then the actual content. Well, not exactly because the content was hilarious too. So many talented individuals and brilliant minds.
    True dat, I tried to lure them back but apparently they are all addicted to Facebook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast