Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

2 stroke experts, come in her

I have an interesting question, one of my saws has been presenting me with a problem. My one saw runs flawlessly and strong through the first tank. Then, when it runs dry and I refill the tank, i runs fine for a few minutes tnen starts losing power. I thought it might be the coil and replaced the coil.. Same problem. I ordered a new carburetor but the recoil starter bit the big one,. in the interim. So NOW, I have a new coil, a new carb and a new recoil starter. I have yet to run two tanks through it. (since I bought the new saw, a friend uses it) could it be something else? First tank ran GREAT., second, not so much.
    Next time, same thing.

Am I overlooking something?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    For reference, I have yet to try it with both the new coil and new carburetor.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Frog Whisperer
    I am using stihl mix-oil at exact ratio, 50 to 1 per instructions, first tank runs fine, only bogs when saw is hot on second tank. When it gets cold again, it works well.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I am using stihl mix-oil at exact ratio, 50 to 1 per instructions, first tank runs fine, only bogs when saw is hot on second tank. When it gets cold again, it works well.
    Will get back to you. Looking at glide and chain.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Is it me or does the title of this thread look X rated?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Will get back to you. Looking at glide and chain.
    Btw, compression is GREAT, hot or cold. And the arborist site has some guy criticizing the use of the term coil insisting that it be called ignition. The stihl part is listed as "ignition coil" by Stihl so coil is as acceptable as ignition. I might get out today to give it a test run. Not sure about the weather though. We had some more freezing rain last night.

Frog Whisperer
    Btw, compression is GREAT, hot or cold. And the arborist site has some guy criticizing the use of the term coil insisting that it be called ignition. The stihl part is listed as "ignition coil" by Stihl so coil is as acceptable as ignition. I might get out today to give it a test run. Not sure about the weather though. We had some more freezing rain last night.
    To clarify, I ran it with just the new coil with the same issues of no power when it was hot (on second tank) I fired it up with the new carb, started second pull and it idled well (rare on a 2 cycle) it needed more fuel /air so i opened up the H about a 1/4 turn acceleration is great and it idles well. Guess the only way to know is to run it dry under load and fill it back up

gazing from the shadows
    As a diagnostic, you could run the saw but NOT run it dry. Then add fuel. If it keeps running, then you might consider there is a fuel issue when there are dry lines and a hot saw. Maybe expansion is restricting some flow somewhere? I suppose that a line might not kink when full of fuel, but could partially kink when only air is in the line and everything is at full expansion. Or some air flow is restricted somewhere.

Long shot, but something to consider if your other changes don't solve the issue.

I will guess the new carb will do the trick, btw.

Enjoy the puzzle
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    As a diagnostic, you could run the saw but NOT run it dry. Then add fuel. If it keeps running, then you might consider there is a fuel issue when there are dry lines and a hot saw. Maybe expansion is restricting some flow somewhere? I suppose that a line might not kink when full of fuel, but could partially kink when only air is in the line and everything is at full expansion. Or some air flow is restricted somewhere.

Long shot, but something to consider if your other changes don't solve the issue.

I will guess the new carb will do the trick, btw.

Enjoy the puzzle
    Stihl fuel lines are corrugated and it appears to be in good shape, i do have a new fuel line i could install but it has a full tank right now. Thanks for the tkp, hope I don't need to try it. I rebuilt the old carb last winter but it may have had other issues. Although, the saw worked flawlessly for months, until it started playing this game. It started just about the same time i switched to the stihl ultimate mix oil. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Frog Whisperer
    Stihl fuel lines are corrugated and it appears to be in good shape, i do have a new fuel line i could install but it has a full tank right now. Thanks for the tkp, hope I don't need to try it. I rebuilt the old carb last winter but it may have had other issues. Although, the saw worked flawlessly for months, until it started playing this game. It started just about the same time i switched to the stihl ultimate mix oil. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?
    Air flow could have been restricted by dirt in the carb (which is why I opted to replace it.

xxl
    ...Am I overlooking something?
    Yes: You put a thread for two-stroke experts right next (or, "butted up to") to a thread on jerking one's meat.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Yes: You put a thread for two-stroke experts right next (or, "butted up to") to a thread on jerking one's meat.
    You think that was an accident? Silly boy....

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Is it me or does the title of this thread look X rated?
    I think 2 strokes would be a bit premature...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Local highly rated repair shop for saws/mower/etc hesitates on selling a $40 carb rebuild kits when a new carb is $65 (general numbers based on the application, I'm using my example).........their number one reason for small equipment running poorly is carburetor issues. The orifices in the carbs they deal with are so small that the tiniest piece of dirt/corrosion/residue can have you spend hours chasing other issues.
    If you have a new replacement carburetor, put it on. Don't waste time on a used carburetor with a rebuild kit. Use that option when it is your only option.
    Make sure the fuel pick up line isn't sitting too high in the tank and only allowing fuel flow above a half tank of fuel. Make sure you have a new spark plug, don't try cleaning it. Make sure the gas tank is clean.

Consider it a learning experience..........eventually you'll figure it out.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by geomoney View Post
    Local highly rated repair shop for saws/mower/etc hesitates on selling a $40 carb rebuild kits when a new carb is $65 (general numbers based on the application, I'm using my example).........their number one reason for small equipment running poorly is carburetor issues. The orifices in the carbs they deal with are so small that the tiniest piece of dirt/corrosion/residue can have you spend hours chasing other issues.
    If you have a new replacement carburetor, put it on. Don't waste time on a used carburetor with a rebuild kit. Use that option when it is your only option.
    Make sure the fuel pick up line isn't sitting too high in the tank and only allowing fuel flow above a half tank of fuel. Make sure you have a new spark plug, don't try cleaning it. Make sure the gas tank is clean.

Consider it a learning experience..........eventually you'll figure it out.
    New coil New carburetor New plug Fuel is fresh and clean, Compression is excellent, Tank, filter and line all checked. Now I need a couple of hours to test it. I need someone around, I will not cut wood alone. Bad things can happen VERY fast,

Frog Whisperer
    New coil New carburetor New plug Fuel is fresh and clean, Compression is excellent, Tank, filter and line all checked. Now I need a couple of hours to test it. I need someone around, I will not cut wood alone. Bad things can happen VERY fast,
    My last issue was a fricking plugged vent line, talk about chasing your tail!

xxl
    You think that was an accident? Silly boy....
    I was trying to be diplomatic, not judge-y.

But as per your original question, I think you may have (inadvertently? Freudian slip?) left out an "e" at the end of your thread title?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    The kode is strong in the Lawnje lately.

Maybe you’re not giving your “saw” enough strokes. HTH

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I was trying to be diplomatic, not judge-y.

But as per your original question, I think you may have (inadvertently? Freudian slip?) left out an "e" at the end of your thread title?
    Do you not remember OEH's thread of many years ago?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Be sure and gap your new plug before installing. Sounds like vapor lock, does the fuel line from the tank to the carb pass anywhere near the exhaust or touch the head?

Plugs can be tricky, they can have a crack down in the electrode that only opens up when hot.
    BANNED

Seat's not level
    Do you not remember OEH's thread of many years ago?
    2 stroke experts, come in her-oeh-dchair.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	oeh dchair.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	321982Click image for larger version. 

ID:	321982Click image for larger version. 

ID:	321982maybe... :-)
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Be sure and gap your new plug before installing. Sounds like vapor lock, does the fuel line from the tank to the carb pass anywhere near the exhaust or touch the head?

Plugs can be tricky, they can have a crack down in the electrode that only opens up when hot.
    .5 mm, done... Nope fuel line is factory routed, it worked perfectly since I bought it, used, 5 or 6 years ago. And I may have it fixed but like I said, I need a couple of hours with help to really test it, hopefully this weekend.

Done
    Mar 2002
    It is hard to diagnose over the internet, but it could be as simple as the darn thing is overheating. It is air cooled...

How to Prevent Chainsaws From Overheating | Home Guides | SF Gate
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    .5 mm, done... Nope fuel line is factory routed, it worked perfectly since I bought it, used, 5 or 6 years ago. And I may have it fixed but like I said, I need a couple of hours with help to really test it, hopefully this weekend.
    As far as I've read, you've covered everything to code. Text book would be running the saw as normally doing so, but with the second fill-up, plug pulled replacing with a fresh gaped one to install. This would eliminate the notions on expansion. I'm stihl interested in the bar assembly for some reason, though. Running a chainsaw fuel supply empty does not affect outcomes. I've always run to dry.
    -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast