Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Welcome to the jungle
    Trailblazers get swept out of the first round. Condolences to Rip City.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Cat 6
    They just need more size and defensive presence. Everything centered around 2 smalls is always going to be post-season disappointment.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    They just need more size and defensive presence. Everything centered around 2 smalls is always going to be post-season disappointment.
    I quite agree. If Portland had a consistent third scoring option, preferably a big, and a good rim protector/interior defender, they'd be right in it.

If was almost painful to watch Anthony Davis just jam on them all day long.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Welcome to the jungle
    The Spurs... gone in five. But they fought hard, and to the very end.

And condolences to Coach Popovich on the loss of his wife of 40 years. It must be very difficult, I can't even imagine. Kinda puts things in perspective.

Welcome to the jungle
    No one else is watching the playoffs? Damb.

Too bad. There's been some great games/series.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I'll watch Cleveland a bit, because LeBron is amazingly talented. They give up too many open shots to be a contender, imo, all year and in the first two rounds to date. But they look to make the finals again the way things are breaking. Especially if they sweep the Raptors (pitty the poor raptors) and LeBron gets some rest.

I'll watch Golden State, because when they are on, they play the best as a team that I have ever seen in the NBA.

But the rest? Not enough time in the day to watch everything. Plus I don't see much chance of anything other than a GS title this year.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I'll watch Cleveland a bit, because LeBron is amazingly talented. They give up too many open shots to be a contender, imo, all year and in the first two rounds to date. But they look to make the finals again the way things are breaking. Especially if they sweep the Raptors (pity the poor raptors) and LeBron gets some rest.

I'll watch Golden State, because when they are on, they play the best as a team that I have ever seen in the NBA.

But the rest? Not enough time in the day to watch everything. Plus I don't see much chance of anything other than a GS title this year.
    Whoa... looks like we'll make an NBA fan out of you yet, Q.

And yes, poor Toronto. Some fans are already dubbing the city 'LeBronto', in acknowledgement of just how badly he's owning the Raptors. Ouch.

gazing from the shadows
    Whoa... looks like we'll make an NBA fan out of you yet, Q.
    When I said I don't follow the NBA, I did not mean I don't watch. I meant I don't read about it or pay attention to things going on off the court, or stat lines, or things like that. I just watch some games on occasion. It's kind of how I treat cycling. I'll watch races sometimes, but that's about it. I can call a race pretty well, just like I can analyze a bb game (in part because I used to ref, including some inner city youth center games...with grown men, not little kids).

I would not call myself a fan, since I have little interest in watching regular season games. Never will. But when they actually try, that's worth killing an hour or two to watch, under certain circumstances.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

xxl

Too bad. There's been some great games/series.

I've been watching them as long as the NBA respects that I'm old and am unwilling to stay up late just so it can capture West Coast viewers.

I thought the Pacers played the Cavs much harder than I would've thought they could. I also think the Celtics/Sixers play has been good. I hear good things about the Western teams' series, but...see above.

As an occasional Cavsphile, I'm glad to see K-Love getting back to form.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Not Banned
    I think the Cavs will have to go too deep for too long. If they do make the finals they will be gassed (this is partly based on Toronto waking up, if Toronto lays down who knows). I think Boston Cleveland and Warriors Rockets series will probably be more entertaining than the finals
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Wow I just watched the Sixers blow game 3 against the Celtics. Outhustled by the Celtics and Simmons played an awful game.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I would not call myself a fan, since I have little interest in watching regular season games. Never will. But when they actually try [emphasis added], that's worth killing an hour or two to watch, under certain circumstances.
    The problem, of course, is the NBA regular season... it's way too long for such a physically intense sport. Between it, the preseason, and the playoffs, a player can easily see action in over 100 games in a season.

No wonder so many teams are badly nicked up by the time the playoffs start and/or are missing one or more key players/stars.

So, you do sometimes see guys conserving energy during the dog days of the season, and, of course, there are the dreaded 'fourth game in five nights' games where a team is totally gassed and is not capable of giving their best.

The league *just* got rid of those this season IIRC, but there are still 'third game in four nights' and 'fifth game in seven nights' situations going on, again, IIRC.

Really, the league would be better off cutting the reg season back to 72 games, like it was back in the '50s. But that of course would result in smaller TV contracts and correspondingly, less money. And no one, from the owners to the players, wants that.

They could insert more rest days (and that would be a good idea, generally) but that would also lengthen an already tortuously long season.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Wow I just watched the Sixers blow game 3 against the Celtics. Outhustled by the Celtics and Simmons played an awful game.
    Saw it... an absolutely heartbreaking game if you're a Philly fan. Two of the worst, most backbreaking turnovers I've ever seen late in a playoff game.

Philly did themselves in in the worst way, and right in front of their hometown fans, who were frankly stunned.

Now they're down 0-3, backs against the wall. They're still a very good up-and-coming young team, but the *young* part has been really showing itself at key moments in this series.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I think the Cavs will have to go too deep for too long. If they do make the finals they will be gassed (this is partly based on Toronto waking up, if Toronto lays down who knows).

I think Boston Cleveland and Warriors Rockets series will probably be more entertaining than the finals
    Toronto choked yet again today, so it doesn't look like they're going to step up this year. We seem to be headed towards a *fourth consecutive* Warriors-Cavs finals, unless Boston or Houston surprise us a bit.

Even through last year, I was fine with that, but now I'm starting to wonder if that's actually good for the league. It does certainly remove some of the drama of the playoffs if the same two teams wind up in the Finals every year.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Saw it... an absolutely heartbreaking game if you're a Philly fan. Two of the worst, most backbreaking turnovers I've ever seen late in a playoff game.

Philly did themselves in in the worst way, and right in front of their hometown fans, who were frankly stunned.

Now they're down 0-3, backs against the wall. They're still a very good up-and-coming young team, but the *young* part has been really showing itself at key moments in this series.
    Sloppy passes, goofy playground-style shots... many occurring under pressure toward the end of an intense, close game... I lay a lot of this lack of discipline and the resulting last 2 losses on the coach.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Boston's head coach is a Hall of Fame prospect --- a genius.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Boston's head coach is a Hall of Fame prospect --- a genius.
    I agree. And Kobe's a fan too.

https://nesn.com/2018/05/why-kobe-br...ing-in-game-3/

Welcome to the jungle
    Raptors got swept. You could actually see their spirits being crushed in real-time.

Latest demonstration of a team being built for the regular season, as opposed to being built for the playoffs. Expectations met reality.

Oh, and the role players around LeBron woke up too this series. Cavs are finally playing some real good ball.

Proud luddite
    At least this year’s Warriors-Cavs finals will be the last one. Lebron will leave the Cavs and cast them into eternal damnation like he did the first time he left them. Circle of life.

Welcome to the jungle

just one more

Not Banned
    the semis could be interesting
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Cat 6
    Cavs/Celts gm1 was surprisingly 1 sided...end of the day Celts protected home court so I'm guessing gm2 is very different.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Cavs/Celts gm1 was surprisingly 1 sided...end of the day Celts protected home court so I'm guessing gm2 is very different.
    +1. I was kinda shocked too... BOS basically just tore the Cavs' heads off in Game 1.

The Cavs have been kinda hard to figure out this post-season, but I think it probably goes like this,

They're not as mediocre as the Pacers made them look.

They're not as good as the Raptors made them look.

The truth is somewhere in the middle... they're pretty good, but not great.

Good enough to beat BOS, maybe, but not good enough for it to be anything like a given, as some ppl seemed to be thinking before Game 1. More like 50-50.

Either way, BOS doing this/getting this far without their two best players is pretty amazing. They're extremely solid now, and going to be incredible next season with Irving and Hayward back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Either way, BOS doing this/getting this far without their two best players is pretty amazing. They're extremely solid now, and going to be incredible next season with Irving and Hayward back.
    yeah the future is bright for sure.

As for so far this playoff season and already getting further than I think most expected:

-Turns out Rosier, who is Kyrie Irving's backup, is really good. He's no Kyrie for sure but not the downgrade expected either.

-Tatum had a very good rookie year and continued to get better, but somewhat unexpectedly accelerated his improvement at the start of the playoffs. Before the playoff I was thinking he's a nice piece of the puzzle for this year. Turns out he's a bonafide clutch playoff player already.

-Same for Brown but second year not rookie year.

-Horford and Morris have really stepped it up.

Not really unexpectedly: The pulled out another level of team defense they didn't always show in the regular season.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    the semis [i.e. conf finals] could be interesting
    definitely, so far.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast