Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

8 day countdown until ski trip to WP

Really looking forward to skiing WP this year. My new Smith Stance googles arrived today and my Smith Variant Brim arrives today.

I figured it better to buy my own helmet, then rent one every year. No more sweat head with some nice vents in my new helmet. Its light too.

Its been snowing pretty good at WP, so I hope to see lots of snow falling on spring break for lots of fresh powered. Never skied during a good snow fall, so it will be interesting.

I am just hoping the roads stay clear the whole time. I have never driven on snowy roads before. The thoughts of driving the pass on covered roads has me nervous.

I rented a 4WD SUV just incase.

Anyone have advice for renting a snow mobile in WP? I want to take the kids and do some riding myself.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Seat's not level
    Have fun. We'll be up there this weekend packing down the snow in the trees over on Mary Jane.

Ask the front desk at your hotel or get one of the brochures for the snowmobiling. We did one that left from the Winter Park Mountain Lodge | Winter Park, Colorado Hotel | Winter Park Ski Resort Hotel with some friends a few years ago. It was fun.

Since you haven't driven in snow...please stay off the roads when I'm on them.... Thanks. (keep up with traffic... don't be the moreon doing 15 mph because there is snow on the side of the road)

A taste of what to expect.... Sunnyside bumps, following T :-) - YouTube
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, the snow mobile rental is a blast ... The tube sliding hill was also great for grins.
    imo, Pay the extra $1 for the insurance. We had one couple that didn't; they went off trail; and sure enough their snow machine ended up vertical in a hole.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Have fun. We'll be up there this weekend packing down the snow in the trees over on Mary Jane.

Ask the front desk at your hotel or get one of the brochures for the snowmobiling. We did one that left from the http://winterparkhotel.com/ with some friends a few years ago. It was fun.

Since you haven't driven in snow...please stay off the roads when I'm on them.... Thanks. (keep up with traffic... don't be the moreon doing 15 mph because there is snow on the side of the road)
    Thanks Chain. I will hit Mary Jane for some Pain. We are skiing for 5 days and I hope to leave in one piece again. That's why I am taking another lesson the first day.

I might let the wife drive, as she has some experience. At least she did 14 years ago, but its something.

No, I am the moreon that goes slow on the turns as I am a flat lander. Thing that makes it worse, we arrive in delver around 7pm, so I will have to drive at night.

This time, I will make sure I know how to use the defogger for the windshield.

Last year, we arrived at the rental car place at 9pm and they only had some frap Kia for us. They screwed up. So as we are driving the interstate it starts to snow, making visibility hard. No heavy, but enough flurries form some who has never seen falling snow, a bit difficult to drive. So the window is getting fogged really bad and the wife can't figure out how to turn it on. So after not being able to see where I am going, i had to slow down and pull over to figure out the defroster in the crap car.

But yeah, I was going slow and I was worried about the wet roads and driving in the mountains. But I am getting used to driving there, so I will be better.

We are staying in a condo, so I don't have a desk to ask. Someone mentioned a place off the main road, down the revive on the right leaving the village back to town as a spot to rent. They mentioned you can ride up the the Continental Divide from there.

I can taste Hernandos Pizza now!
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winters View Post
    Yep, the snow mobile rental is a blast ... The tube sliding hill was also great for grins.
    imo, Pay the extra $1 for the insurance. We had one couple that didn't; they went off trail; and sure enough their snow machine ended up vertical in a hole.
    Thanks, I plan on that. I don't want to wreck, as I never ridden one. That's cheap enough!
    DIRT BOY

It's not TOO Cold!
    They only got an inch of fresh in the past 24 hours, but the skiing is great. Almost every run is open.

Why don't you just ride the shuttle van up to WP. the bus system is great, get you anywhere in the Fraser Valley, for free. I know it is nice to have wheels, but it is also nice to let someone else drive the pass. The WP shuttles have free wifi too.
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer03 View Post
    They only got an inch of fresh in the past 24 hours, but the skiing is great. Almost every run is open.

Why don't you just ride the shuttle van up to WP. the bus system is great, get you anywhere in the Fraser Valley, for free. I know it is nice to have wheels, but it is also nice to let someone else drive the pass. The WP shuttles have free wifi too.
    They are expecting 5" today and 3" tomorrow (REI snow report app)

Yea, if you are at a condo and are near a bus, just take it to the ski area. It's free and easy.

Also, a new brewpub in town, The Library. We went a few weeks ago and it was pretty good.

The deal for on mountain food is Pepperoni's in the bottom of the Mary Jane lodge at the base. $3 slices of pizza. We eat there every time we go.

Also look for the smiley's on the lift attendents jacket zippers.
    Ask them if they have seen the smiley guy...

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

RoadBikeReview Member

Because we need a car to go get grocery's get around, etc. Plus I am driving to Granby one day.

but I had no idea there were free shuttles form the Denver Airpot to WP.
    DIRT BOY

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are expecting 5" today and 3" tomorrow (REI snow report app)

Yea, if you are at a condo and are near a bus, just take it to the ski area. It's free and easy.

Also, a new brewpub in town, The Library. We went a few weeks ago and it was pretty good.

The deal for on mountain food is Pepperoni's in the bottom of the Mary Jane lodge at the base. $3 slices of pizza. We eat there every time we go.

Also look for the smiley's on the lift attendents jacket zippers.
    Ask them if they have seen the smiley guy...
    The condo we are staying in, is right at the start on WP. Its a 10 min drive to the resort. We will be taking a shuttle to the mountain, to avoid the parking fees. Unless the kids are pain on the shuttle.

I know where I am eating lunch!

I will check out the new pub. I heard Azteca has good for too.
    yes, the buttons, LOL
    DIRT BOY

RoadBikeReview Member
    maybe I should wear my Lounge Jersey while skiing!
    DIRT BOY

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
    The condo we are staying in, is right at the start on WP. Its a 10 min drive to the resort. We will be taking a shuttle to the mountain, to avoid the parking fees. Unless the kids are pain on the shuttle.

I know where I am eating lunch!

I will check out the new pub. I heard Azteca has good for too.
    yes, the buttons, LOL
    No parking fees at the resort. If you decide to drive. Park in the lots at the main entrance. Take the little gondola down to the retail strip and walk from there. We do it all the time without a problem. They have wagons at the bottom of the gondola to put the kids skis in and pull them down the hill from there.

Town busses just drop you off and you can walk from there. No parking, no gondola. Just wear your ski stuff on the bus and it's easy. If we take the bus we wear our boots and everything from the hotel.

Sometimes we take a backpack with our street shoes in it to change into after skiing. It depends on how much crap you are carrying.

Seat's not level
    maybe I should wear my Lounge Jersey while skiing!
    Please no. it woudl be about as bad as the yokels wearing football and hockey jerseys....

Of course it is another good way of knowing who's a local and who to stay away from. It's usually pretty easy to pick out the tourists.

Diphthong
    I was really happy when they changed the rental car license plates. Now they're red so you it's easier to tell the tourists from the locals on the way to the slopes.
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    I was really happy when they changed the rental car license plates. Now they're red so you it's easier to tell the tourists from the locals on the way to the slopes.
    yea, but you still aren't allowed to kill the slow ones...

RoadBikeReview Member
    No parking fees at the resort. If you decide to drive. Park in the lots at the main entrance. Take the little gondola down to the retail strip and walk from there. We do it all the time without a problem. They have wagons at the bottom of the gondola to put the kids skis in and pull them down the hill from there.

Town busses just drop you off and you can walk from there. No parking, no gondola. Just wear your ski stuff on the bus and it's easy. If we take the bus we wear our boots and everything from the hotel.

Sometimes we take a backpack with our street shoes in it to change into after skiing. It depends on how much crap you are carrying.
    No parking fees? I might drive. All I the rental stuff will be at the Village. So I will carry out ski boots there, as I hate walking in those if we take the shuttle. It's more of making sure we get the kids to ski school on time on the shuttle.

But that good info!
    DIRT BOY

RoadBikeReview Member
    Please no. it woudl be about as bad as the yokels wearing football and hockey jerseys....

Of course it is another good way of knowing who's a local and who to stay away from. It's usually pretty easy to pick out the tourists.

LOL! It would have to be over my ski jacket and thought I could represent on the slopes. No Dolphins jersey?
    I don't get that either. Maybe a Miami Heat jersey for the Lounge Haters!
    DIRT BOY

Diphthong
    Who says?

Starter jackets, Carhartt's, Camo jackets, jeans, decades old gear...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will try to keep up! Such hospitality!
    DIRT BOY

Diphthong
    I will try to keep up! Such hospitality!
    It's the Lounge. You can't exactly expect open arms.

Now, get here, spend your money and then leave!

It's not TOO Cold!
    Who says?

Starter jackets, Carhartt's, Camo jackets, jeans, decades old gear...
    You can pry my Rossi 4G's off my cold dead feet. Rode the lift with a guy who figured they were from about 88 or 90.
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

Diphthong
    You can pry my Rossi 4G's off my cold dead feet. Rode the lift with a guy who figured they were from about 88 or 90.
    There are always exceptions, even for Canadians.

It's not TOO Cold!
    There are always exceptions, even for Canadians.
    Sorry, they are 7G's 205 cm with Salomon 957 bindings. I'm going to have to get something new, these are worn out.

Diphthong
    Sorry, they are 7G's 205 cm with Salomon 957 bindings. I'm going to have to get something new, these are worn out.
    Get a snowboard

Seat's not level
    Get a snowboard
    ewwwww

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hijack!!!!

Only 7 days till my trip to Alta-Bird!!!! YEEESSSSSS!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast