Roll Out Jeremy

80 YO model airplane

My father in law, Don, is an aeronautical engineer. His passion for airplanes is lifelong. He has worked on the Boeing 247D, owned by the Boeing Museum of Flight, for the same amount of time he worked for The Boeing Company. Don is a living museum....
    A couple of years ago Don and Vivian were moving from their family home to a retirement home. While they cleaned the family home Don had his model airplane in the garbage pile. Mrs. Fordy rescued it and to this day it has a permanent place in our living room. Here are some pictures of Don's model Aeronca LC. It is a balsa frame, doped wings, and rubber band powered flying model. He built this in approximately 1930-1932...it is about 80 years old....Don say's he built it when he was 12 years old.

So, imagine our surprise when Mrs. Fordy and I were touring through the WAAAM (Western Antique Aero Automotive Museum). and there it was, the same airplane! We looked at each other and in unison declared "that's Dad's plane"! The museum has an original flying Aeronca LC! Here are some pictures...

The likeness is remarkable, right down to the color....
    The WAAAM is located in Hood River, Oregon. Somebody should say amen....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 80 YO model airplane-p6265919.jpg   80 YO model airplane-p6265922.jpg   80 YO model airplane-p6265923.jpg   80 YO model airplane-p6265924.jpg   80 YO model airplane-p6235815.jpg  

80 YO model airplane-p6235817.jpg   80 YO model airplane-p6235818.jpg   80 YO model airplane-p6235819.jpg   80 YO model airplane-p6235826.jpg  
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

waterproof*
    among the coolest airplanes ever, IMO.

and the model from back in the days before plastic snap-together kits with paint-by-numbers and decals.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's neat! Thanks for sharing.

On the wrong floor again
    I LOVE airplanes. What a great story/model/airplane
    "I swear to god, if you wreck this airplane I'll help you pay the deductable but I'm not touching the yoke again"

Quote Originally Posted by Qstick333 View Post
    I just got an email from her saying..."don't worry, they were store bought. a$$hole."
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
    Indeed it is. Nothing left of the horse but a sun-bleached skeleton, and still the beating goes on.

Spicy Dumpling
    That is awesome. That model is beautiful as is the original. I'm an aviation nut and my favorite era was the 30's where every plane seemed to be a work of art and this one is no exception.

When I was about 12 a friend found a stack of 1930's model airplane magazines in an attic. We build a few rubber band powered models from the plans in the old magazines. I read them till they fell apart.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Roll Out Jeremy
    I'll post more pics of the WAAAM tonight. It is an awesome museum. Many of the airplanes are 30's vintage. They even have a "Jenny".
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free

Sticky Valentine
    Very cool.

My grandpa was an engineer in the AF (not sure exactly what he did for them) but he was a nut about planes.

he used to build model airplanes all the time when I was a kid. I used to have a bunch hung from my ceiling. Unfortunately I don't have them any more (I was little when he gave them to me) and he's no longer around. I wish i had more sense as a 6 year old.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

your text here
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

cool story, cool plane.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

We have met the enemy...
    very cool!
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Ricardo Cabeza
    wow. neato. can't believe he was throwing it away.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Maximum Gluteus
    That is sooooo cool.

My dad grew up around the same time as your father in law, and he too built model airplanes. Dad had a subscription to Model Airplane News and Popular Avaition when he was a kid....and those magazines used to have model plans in each issue. The airplane on the cover of the magazine was usually that month's flying model.

I'm willing to bet that your father in law built that little Aeronca from the plans that were included in May 1936 edition of Popular Avaition. (It's the magazine in the picture of the display at the museum). The airplane on the cover of issue of Popular Aviation - a yellow Aeronca - has the same registration number as your father in law's model.

There's also a good chance that I have a copy of that magazine. The only problem is that Dad (or his friends) usually clipped the plans out of the magazine whenever they built a model, so it might be incomplete. But if that's the case, then that means that my Dad or one of his friends may have also built a model of that little Aeronca.

How cool would that be?

Oh, and today (June 28) is my Dad's birthday. He would have been 88. When Dad was a little kid, he got to sit here - in the cockpit of Charles Lindbergh's "Spirit of St. Louis." After it returned from France, the Spirit of St. Louis was brought to the Anacostia Naval Air Station in Washington, DC, which was a short distance from where my Dad lived. The Navy mechanics at the field reassembled the airplane. The Spirit was then rolled out of the hanger to an informal (but appreciative) crowd that had assembled to see the plane. My Dad was in the crowd, and was allowed to climb in and sit in Lindbergh's seat. When Dad started building model airplanes, NAS Anacostia was his "home field"....

Happy Birthday Dad!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Gregory Taylor; 06-28-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

Roll Out Jeremy
    Thanks GT,
    Good story....Let me know if you come across that issue. I vision Jimmy Stewart speculating about the weight of the fly on board, It was Jimmy Stewart? Right?
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free

Kilt wearing, old man
    Since no one else has said it, AMEN!
    When a bike is stolen
    A faerie dies of sadness