RoadBikeReview Member

Advice for buying a domain and a website?

I am getting ready to start my business and I need to buy a domain and have a website. I know some of you guys are much more internet aware then I am. Whats the best service Google, Godaddy, or Squarespace?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Might also look at Wix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I used GoDaddy and it work ok. I did my own webdesign using their tools.
    It was just a posting of services, no selling, payments, or updating was required. I just did it and forgot it, except for the rent.

It would probably make a difference on who's doing the web design & if your going to sell items. If your selling and not a web designer, I would get help. And that would be over my level.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    What are you trying to do with the site? At a minimum you'll need two, and possibly three things:

1. One or more domains, unless you're working with a provider that will give you something like pulser955.mywebsite.com. I use Namecheap for a registrar. Suggest you register any domains yourself rather than going through a consultant or hosting company. That way, you'll control it no matter what happens
    2. A host
    3. One or more SSL certificates so you can use https. Again, you can get these from your registrar or host, and the latter will often install it. Not always mandatory, but a good idea these days

Take a look at WordPress. Also, if there is an existing site you like, see who designed it and what software they use.
    It's Mueller Time

We have met the enemy...
    I personally think Godaddy is one of the worst choices for hosting.

They were doing a sleazy two step before, where they were registering domain names for themselves and then hosting for you, rather than registering in their customer names. Then they were doing "frontrunning" where they would monitor name searches and register domains that were queried and offer to sell them to you at inflated prices. Their CEO shoots elephants and they have sexist advertising. I could go on...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellycl.../#59775a7b6614
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I used GoDaddy and it work ok. I did my own webdesign using their tools.
    It was just a posting of services, no selling, payments, or updating was required. I just did it and forgot it, except for the rent.

It would probably make a difference on who's doing the web design & if your going to sell items. If your selling and not a web designer, I would get help. And that would be over my level.
    Thats all Im am looking do. I service and instal garage doors so I just need a simple website for now. I just need do come up when people do a search.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea, GDaddy is fairly easy. Just pdf your info or something and link it up. But it is a little confusing for me, but it got done.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used godaddy to register a domain, nearly a decade ago. I used it for personalized email for a few years and then left it alone. Last year I thought about using it again but couldn't log into my account or something like that. I did a whois and found out my domain was registered to some other company. I contacted them via chat and was told that my domain now belonged to them, but it's okay because they magically know the owner who even more serendipitously wishes to sell this domain back to me...for $1,400.

I don't know if this is a variation of what was described above but I bought a slightly different domain adding co (for company).

With regard to website design, you can go on themeforest.net and purchase a ready to customize website template. It's a great way to get something that looks professional and much more expensive than the price you paid for it.... or just use one of the many free page builders provided by hosting companies such as wix.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Roll Out Jeremy
    I have used Network Solution to buy a domain. Ipage for design and hosting. Ecwid for storefront. and Weebly for page design (embedded in Ipage).
    Cascade Fusion Smoked Olive Oil - Home
    I have found that shopping for the cheapest solution always comes up short for what I want to achieve. For instance. My Ipage account for hosting is limited to 6 pages unless I upgrade...You will find these kinds of hidden surprises every way you turn...If you want to accept payments and have a storefront you are in for a Harvard education.....
    I told my wife we have 20 accounts with passwords that support our online business and storefront. She didn't believe me until I showed her....
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

25yr Houston-Austin MS150

Eggs in different baskets

Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    I am getting ready to start my business and I need to buy a domain and have a website. I know some of you guys are much more internet aware then I am. Whats the best service Google, Godaddy, or Squarespace?
    Based on the vast amount of hacking/cracking that goes on, I would recommend that you find a good, secure registrar, and then arrange hosting with a DIFFERENT company. Saved me from hassles multiple times.
    Four wheels good; two wheels better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtw View Post
    Based on the vast amount of hacking/cracking that goes on, I would recommend that you find a good, secure registrar, and then arrange hosting with a DIFFERENT company. Saved me from hassles multiple times.
    Excellent advice! I wonder if this is how I got my domain hijacked.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL