Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost over

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Got to admit, I'd like to experience the sort of weather you guys have over there...but don't think I'd like to live in it that much..I like the cold, but it's relative (I did enjoy the big NY christmas blizzard of 2010, but i was just shopping and stuff).
    Heading into summer here, we've had the hottest November on record I believe (day after day of 28-32C, ugh too hot for me). but winter doesn't really get that cold, I did have 1 ride where I spent a good while at -3, maybe 30km, but usually not getting below 0, jsut windy and rainy, but then I just go running instead
    All the gear and no idea

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Actually, they are wood racks and each one had about 200 pounds of red elm on it.
    I was kidding, knowing your reputation for safety. Those log caddies should have sew-ups and a Campy sticker.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I was kidding, knowing your reputation for safety. Those log caddies should have sew-ups and a Campy sticker.
    I had to put new tubes in them in year 3
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yeah, took one of the bike carriers off my roof rack Sunday, and put the ski carriers on. Time to wax the XC skis....
    Went to the nordic "Ski Opener" yesterday and demoed a number of skin skis. I'll be off the shop this afternoon to buy a pair of Rossignol R-Skin Race IFP skis. They'll be my "grab & go" classic skis. If you haven't tried the skin skis yet get a demo of them. They really work well but do need to be fitted right, otherwise they can be grabby. As a hard-core waxer I can see a couple of pairs of skin skis retiring a big chunk of my 40 or so kick waxes.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by tka View Post
    Went to the nordic "Ski Opener" yesterday and demoed a number of skin skis. I'll be off the shop this afternoon to buy a pair of Rossignol R-Skin Race IFP skis. They'll be my "grab & go" classic skis. If you haven't tried the skin skis yet get a demo of them. They really work well but do need to be fitted right, otherwise they can be grabby. As a hard-core waxer I can see a couple of pairs of skin skis retiring a big chunk of my 40 or so kick waxes.
    Ski-skins are much more hard-core than I am. That's more back-country ski touring.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Frog Whisperer
    and.......I am starting roller intervals, cadence based... 2 or 3 months earlier than usual. 2 minutes between 70 and 80 and a minute at 100 to 115, rinxe and repeat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Almost over-capture.jpg  

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    I was joking with velodog yesterday, mentioned that I should get on my mountain bike and ride up and down my driveway 72 times to get my 10 miles. Well, 72 times would have been overkill, I wasn't really going to do it....

or was I?

I grabbed my gps, threw it in my pocket and headed out to the garage, jumped on my mountain bike and started my journey, 11 round trips up and down then I saw my neighbor out for a walk (28 degrees, 18 mph wind from the NW and snowing). I rode with her for about a mile or so and then back up the driveway and back in the house! I may have a cycling addiction problem.

4.9 miles, SLOWWWWWWWW!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Almost over-capture.jpg  

Frog Whisperer
    btw, the scenery looked NOTHING like it does in that screen shot, apparently, google earth isn't live in my neighborhood!

Spicy Dumpling
    We don't have it as bad as you do but it's time to switch over to doing mostly zwifting. At least on the weekdays. As long as it's dry I can usually handle the cold around here. You need to get on zwift so we can ride together and talk about the other asshats..
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    We don't have it as bad as you do but it's time to switch over to doing mostly zwifting. At least on the weekdays. As long as it's dry I can usually handle the cold around here. You need to get on zwift so we can ride together and talk about the other asshats..
    well, to use Zwift I would have to buy a new computer with enough horsepower to run it, that would be $500 right there, THEN....we may have bandwidth issues, I don't know what's required. Is Zwift a by the month fee too? And then, would I need a specialty trainer too? Because I really prefer rollers.

Spicy Dumpling
    well, to use Zwift I would have to buy a new computer with enough horsepower to run it, that would be $500 right there, THEN....we may have bandwidth issues, I don't know what's required. Is Zwift a by the month fee too? And then, would I need a specialty trainer too? Because I really prefer rollers.
    Apple TV, 10 bucks a month and a power meter or just fake it with the rollers and simulated power.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Frog Whisperer
    Apple TV, 10 bucks a month and a power meter or just fake it with the rollers and simulated power.
    the only apples I have are in my fridge or the fruit bowl on the table! What would it cost me and what kind of bandwidth would I need? Cellular isn't an option from home, the trees trash cell signal

Frog Whisperer
    10 bucks a month is nothing, I pay more than that for netflix and I NEVER turn it on, it is for Patsy

Spicy Dumpling
    the only apples I have are in my fridge or the fruit bowl on the table! What would it cost me and what kind of bandwidth would I need? Cellular isn't an option from home, the trees trash cell signal
    Oops I forgot about the new rate, it's up to 15 a month. I don't think you need much bandwidth, it's just location data, not video. You can use an apple TV, late model ipad or computer. Android in the future. Have you tried the demo to see if you have the performance? Two weeks for free. You'll need an ANT speed/cadence sensor and usb dongle for your computer. I haven't used the ipad version but I think they finally have bluetooth working. I do all on my computer and haven't kept up with new options.

I'm considering getting a new apple tv and used flat screen to setup a workout area rather than my computer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Ski-skins are much more hard-core than I am. That's more back-country ski touring.
    No, check out the link that tka put up. It's tiny skin that replaces the "fish scale" part of a non-waxible nordic ski. I didn't realize they were making these. Pretty neat if you're into that style of skiing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Almost over, but it ain't done yet.

It's 46deg with a 7mph SW breeze and I just got back from a 35mile ride. Not bad for Dec 16.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Did 20 miles today. Yeah, not bad at all for December.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got out for a short ride today, and with the Holidays and what the weather channel says I'm glad I did because it'll probably my last ride of the year. And I'm doubly glad I did because I made the 4500 miles I was wanting for the year.

Life is Good.
    Too old to ride plastic

Sweet Potato Kugel
    We have rain tomorrow, which beats the snow today. I'll hit the mountain bike and an hour out there before it changes to sleet and snow. Why not?
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    We have rain tomorrow, which beats the snow today. I'll hit the mountain bike and an hour out there before it changes to sleet and snow. Why not?
    At this time of year we gotta take what we can when we can.

Can't let inclement weather stop us. Well, not all the time anyway.
    Too old to ride plastic

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    At this time of year we gotta take what we can when we can.

Can't let inclement weather stop us. Well, not all the time anyway.
    I got good rubber and great rain gear. I love the rain.

Got great gear and been there and accomplished that.
    -

Non non normal
    8 minutes on the trainer today. I am the man!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    8 minutes on the trainer today. I am the man!
    Finally, how's the leg?

Non non normal
    Finally, how's the leg?
    I go tomorrow to the Doc. Still have another week before weightbearing. He said I could spin a few minutes on a trainer with no resistance at 4 weeks past surgery.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12