RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Amazing Doctor, We need more like him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, what a terrific story. Learn something everyday.

a real member's member
    ah yes, the circus sideshow freaks era of entertainment. good riddance.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    ah yes, the circus sideshow freaks era of entertainment. good riddance.
    Did you even read the article? Based on your comment, I'm hoping the answer is no.

And sideshow freak entertainment hasn't gone away, it's just been taken out of the circus and put on tv and the internet.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    Did you even read the article? Based on your comment, I'm hoping the answer is no.

And sideshow freak entertainment hasn't gone away, it's just been taken out of the circus and put on tv and the internet.
    he only does knee jerk reactions to headlines.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There was a long article about this doctor a few years ago in some historical magazine I read. Yes, this doctor DID save a few lives, and also made money as a sideshow attraction. Seems like there were probably more 'open spaces' during summer than during the off-season.....

Luckily, the spectacle of his sideshow made for changes in health care. I would shudder to think about how somebody could monetize medical procedures for public spectacle today.....
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm curious if this is the same doctor who had incubators at Dreamland. Note that Ms. Horn was born nine years after the park burned.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    I'm curious if this is the same doctor who had incubators at Dreamland. Note that Ms. Horn was born nine years after the park burned.
    Yes, I believe it is. He exhibited at Coney Island and various fairs from 1900 up into the 1940's. He probably continued to exhibit at the other Coney Island parks after Dreamland was destroyed in 1911.

daniell, you say we need more like him. Do you really think medical research should be funded by exhibiting patients in sideshows? I would hope we'd progressed beyond that. Maybe not.
    "Lay me down like a stone, O God, and raise me up like a loaf." Platon Karataev, War and Peace Book XII

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Do you really think medical research should be funded by exhibiting patients in sideshows? I would hope we'd progressed beyond that. Maybe not.
    I don't think anybody is saying research should be funded in that way. I think what he means is, maybe more doctors should be willing to explore unconventional ideas when there's no better alternative and the patient (or patient's parents in this situation) is willing to try. And we have progressed beyond his method but maybe it would have taken much longer in that particular area if not for his work. Which would have meant a lot of people burying their premature babies that didn't have to because of what he was doing.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Same doctor had a sideshow at the 1933 Chicago World's fair...
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Yes, I believe it is. He exhibited at Coney Island and various fairs from 1900 up into the 1940's. He probably continued to exhibit at the other Coney Island parks after Dreamland was destroyed in 1911.

daniell, you say we need more like him. Do you really think medical research should be funded by exhibiting patients in sideshows? I would hope we'd progressed beyond that. Maybe not.
    He did not take a penny from the parents. According to the article, he saved over 1000 people. He had to get funding somehow. Can we apply today's standards? What were his options at that time? Today when I walk into my doctor's office, and I am greeted with a smile, I always think, how would I be greeted without my insurance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    He did not take a penny from the parents. According to the article, he saved over 1000 people. He had to get funding somehow. Can we apply today's standards? What were his options at that time? Today when I walk into my doctor's office, and I am greeted with a smile, I always think, how would I be greeted without my insurance?
    Perfectly fair points. I was being unnecessarily snarky. Though my question about whether we've progressed was somewhat serious, and I take your final point.
    "Lay me down like a stone, O God, and raise me up like a loaf." Platon Karataev, War and Peace Book XII

RoadBikeReview Member
    Couney, who died in 1950 and is viewed today as a pioneer in neonatology, estimated that he successfully kept alive about 7,500 of the 8,500 children who were taken to his "baby farm" at the Coney Island boardwalk. They remained there until the early 1940s, when incubators became widely used in hospitals.
    Wow. He did what he had to do to save lives without prejudicing any family who couldn't afford to pay. Those were different times back then and I'm sure the parents of these children were eternally grateful to Dr. Couney, even if it meant their children were put on display.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I was a month premature and weighed 2.5 lbs when I was born in the early 60's, was baptized and received the last rites at the same time, and then spent a few months in an incubator. Once I found out about this guy, I've considered myself a circus baby ever since.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    I was a month premature and weighed 2.5 lbs when I was born in the early 60's, was baptized and received the last rites at the same time, and then spent a few months in an incubator. Once I found out about this guy, I've considered myself a circus baby ever since.
    Now that made me laugh.

It is amazing what they can do now with modern medicine. To think that it evolved from some practices likes of blood letting and such is remarkable. Imagine what they will think of our modern practices 100 years from now.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Master debator.
    I guess the good doctor did what he did at the time with the tools available to him. Things are different today with the constant threat of malpractice (and doctors actually killing people by accident quite frequently) so doctors are more hamstringed.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderator's Note

PO stuff removed. Please keep PO in PO.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    PO stuff removed. Please keep PO in PO.
    then remove post 5 too, the one that elicited the po type remarks.

had i been a trump fan, he wouldn't have gone there.

that's how he works.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Frog Whisperer
    The only doctor I care about is Dr, Who
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I don't think anybody is saying research should be funded in that way. I think what he means is, maybe more doctors should be willing to explore unconventional ideas when there's no better alternative and the patient (or patient's parents in this situation) is willing to try. And we have progressed beyond his method but maybe it would have taken much longer in that particular area if not for his work. Which would have meant a lot of people burying their premature babies that didn't have to because of what he was doing.
    its a slippery slope. You can thanks the Nazis and the Nuremberg Code.
    there are lots of MDs and lots of companies trying new ideas, treatments, and devices every day. we have a few more rules in place now however to ensure what they're doing doesn't harm patients.

the story doesn't mention the babies he may have harmed.
    Not banned yet.