Thread: Amazon Prime

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012

Amazon Prime

Any of you have this? I am going to purchase my wife a Kindle Fire, the inexpensive one. I am also considering Amazon Prime, but want feedback from people that may already have the service.

Ultimately, I like the opportunity to save some money by downgrading my DirecTV service and I think between Netflix and the options available with Amazon Prime, I may finally be able to wean the kids off. Thoughts?

waterproof*
    Yes, have had it for years, get my money's worth I figure. I share the Prime acct w the Mrs, even though we have separate amazon accounts.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    got a free year when my wife signed up for our baby registry through amazon. we renewed under a different promo recently. spend $100 within x amount of days and get another year. or something along those lines. we definitely get our money's worth. amazon has free shipping for most items, but you sure do get spoiled with next day service. two days max. we have netflix and hulu so don't use the free streaming. i think it's sort of a hassle to get it to stream through apple tv to our tv anyway. i think it plays nice with roku devices though. there's talks of same day shipping to some areas in CA now that amazon is building warehouses here.

got a kindle for xmas. haven't checked out the lending library yet.

based on the amount of stuff we purchase from amazon alone, the membership is worth it for the prime shipping...for us anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    We've had Prime for years and this last Christmas I bought my wife the cheapest Fire HD. As a prime member I got $25 off the Fire but I think it was a limited Christmas deal. It seems Prime opens so much content, really worth the yearly fee. We got an HDMI and have been streaming a lot of really good TV for free, we've rented a couple of good movies that were free with prime that I had not seen. The kids (2 and 4, if you are in a similar stage of life) get something called "freetime" that you can download kids books for free and they really really like. So in my opinion the fire is really cool and the prime gives you an ass load of good "free" content.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    If you live in an area like I do (INdy) where most normal (Non-Expeditied) shipping arrives within 2 days, and you absolutly don't need it guaranteed in 2 days & don't need the instant videos, it doesn't make much sense. Otherwoise, if you ship enough and need it in 2 days, it's worth it.

IMO

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Master debator.
    Love my Amazon Prime account. I probably save the yearly fee in shipping within 4-6 months. We have 3 Kindles, all under my name so we share all the books etc. We also watch a lot of movies on our internet enabled television because it comes with Amazon right on it. She has a business account with them, I don't know the details but she gets an awful lot of money back by the end of the year she uses for Christmas. The problem is that it's too easy to order stuff and I spend more than I should.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    We have it, like it. We have just started using the video part -we got it for the expedited shipping. It eliminates a lot of the doubt when ordering something vs. buying it. Used to be, if I needed a DVD burner, or some bike tool, I'd buy it local and pay a couple extra bucks (or more) just to have it now. But if I can order it on Prime on Sunday morning and have it Tuesday when I get home, AND save a couple bucks, Amazon it is.

My biggest gripe is that not everything is Prime-eligible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I started it a few months ago and am very pleased. I was able to use it to ship various presents to people around the country free (the wrapping fee is worth it to me since I wrap gifts very poorly), so that has probably paid for most of it already. I have also borrowed several books, some of which were quite good, so that too has been adding to my good feelings for the service. On the negative side, borrowed books can only be read on a Kindle and you can only borrow one per month. This is only the case for borrowed books, not for free or pay books. I haven't tried the video service. I did look at titles and thought is was slightly better than Netflix streaming. I also started one show just to see how it worked. I didn't get a full screen, but I didn't take the time to mess with controls / settings to see if I needed to make a tweak to fill the tv screen. I need to play with that portion of the service more.

Moderatus Puisne
    I tried a free demo when I bought some x-mas gifts for family members back across the country -- easier to have Amazon ship to them for free, than pay to ship myself!

We use Netflix for what movie / show viewing we do, but did not find very much worthwhile on Prime which was not already on Netflix.

I don't order much in the way of merchandise from amazon - it is not a business model I particularly care for, even if it was previously a local company.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I've had it over a year - mostly for free fast shipping. Our boys each have Kindle Fire HDs and they have books / movies on them plus games lots of which are free. I haven't used the movies on the TV here yet because we don't have a set that is compatible with Prime, we use Netflix for movies. I'm probably the biggest user of Netflix in the family, watching movies while on the trainer. Watching the Prison break series right now which is 80 episode, a little less than half way through it.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    It's absolutely worth it. If you don't order stuff online, you should get it and start ordering things online with it. I can get most things to my door cheaper than if I went to the store, and the selection is mangitudes better. All with the click of a button. The only downside obviously is you have to wait a day or two. I've ordered a few things at like 1-2am, and had it show up on my doorstep the same day at like 4pm... with free "2 day" shipping. I don't know how they do it, but it's awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's been worth it for me. One feature not mentioned by others is being able to "borrow" books for free from other Prime members. I borrowed a bunch of books this past year, much more than I bought, and they are often books that are in demand. Eg, I read the entire Hunger Games trilogy for free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you or your kid have a dot edu mailbox you can get it for six months free of charge. It used to be a full year but they recently tapered their generosity: Amazon Student

Prime is crack. Stupid fast shipping really does change your purchasing habits. Gone is the hesitation of "how much is that with tax and shipping?". Accordingly, you may find yourself picking up odd and ends that you would not have otherwise purchased, just because it's at your door tomorrow or the following day. I've had prime for two years now and everything, from the salt shaker up to the flat screen television set came to us in an Amazon box. Though the stores are right outside. Prime is less hassle and a tremendous selection.

This reminds me: have to purchase a jar for my half sours.

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    We've had it for a couple years now. Amazon Crack...I like that.
    Free shipping for the most odd things....40lb bags of dog food. Cases of dog food cans. Hell, even a UPS/power conditioner for the new TV/Receiver. Those damn things are heavy. We do all our xmas/bday shopping for folks around the country via Prime. Pays for itself really fast.
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

Master debator.
    I was looking for a home theater receiver. It was either drive to Best Buy and pay sales tax, or have Amazon ship for it within 2 days for free and save my time and fuel. Amazon basically let me sit on my butt in the house and have it delivered to my door for less.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

We have met the enemy...
    We finally canned the Netflix account--not because the Amazon Prime watch it now is so great, but because there is enough free stuff to watch when we are bored.

Love the free shipping--first move is to hit the Prime button on the left and see what the best deal is without shipping charges.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love it. I buy something from Amazon at least once a week, so it pays for itself quickly. The free 2-day shipping is great, but don't forget you get discounted overnight (usually $3.99). No lie- I've placed overnight orders in the evening and had them on my doorstep when I leave for work the following morning. Very nice.