Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Don't forget that Toronto also had "Rob" Ford.
    Who beat your guy to it with his own pu$$ygate. This portion of the clip was just after he'd finished a rant at the press for the coverage he'd been getting. Sound familiar?

Check out the shocked reporter at 0:28

ps. For the benefit of non-Canadians watching the clip, the first comment is about a call Rob is planning to the Mayor of Hamilton, ramping the rivalry between their CFL teams. Hamilton having the Tiger-Cats, Toronto the Argonauts. Rob was a football guy.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:40 AM.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Difference between Rob Ford and Trump is our a$$hole died. Yours is still alive, good luck with that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    You joke, but they stopped a person of color with a valid Canadian passport at the border the other day, and would not let her cross without a visa--WTF?
    They stop a lot of Cdns with valid passports who are of many different races & backgrounds for various reasons. There are no rights to enter a country for which you don't hold a valid passport.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Wait a minute...I thought Toronto was part of America. Sort of a probationary American city.
    New York run by the Swiss--sorta...
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    They stop a lot of Cdns with valid passports who are of many different races & backgrounds for various reasons. There are no rights to enter a country for which you don't hold a valid passport.
    there was no valid reason for it at all though. from what we're told anyways. Been a few cases of this happening all of a sudden.
    Canadian citizen denied entry to U.S. told she needed visa to get in - The Globe and Mail

Also have been stories of Canadians being permanently barred simply for answering this question honestly: 'have you ever smoked marijuana.' I guess they only want to admit the liars across the border. Canadian barred from U.S. for life because he admitted he smokes pot - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio

--

Lived in Tronna for a year. glad I don't have to go back! Again mainly cause it is far too cold for this Canadjun, and also too hot there in summer.

Master debator.
    That's funny. I work with a guy who was caught coming back into the states with a bag of weed he bought in Canada, and they told him he would not be welcome back to Canada. Seems kind of backward to me, although it was probably 20 years ago,
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    It seemed like a brand-new idea to me, but apparently the US has decided that "most" Canadians only need a passport & gov't ID. Nice of them to inform us that they can decide
    Canadian Passport Holders, ESTA and U.S. Visas

But the Canadian list here does not seem to cover the case mentioned--and includes the usual, like visas required for students (which is how I ended up in Amurica). Typical travel = no visa is how I read the guidance, and certainly that has been my experience with the Canada-US border.

Nothing like--hey you look like one of those Muslims, so we are not letting you into the country without a visa.

FWIW, I remember when travel across the border required a driver's license and a verbal confirmation of citizenship--"Children of a common mother" and all that as it is enshrined on the Peace Arch in Blaine, WA...
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    We used to need a driver's license and a polite demeanor to get into Canada.

A couple of years ago, my husband's co-worker got turned away at the border for having a DUI that was 20 years old or so, in the US- he had forgotten about it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    It seemed like a brand-new idea to me, but apparently the US has decided that "most" Canadians only need a passport & gov't ID. Nice of them to inform us that they can decide
    Canadian Passport Holders, ESTA and U.S. Visas

But the Canadian list here does not seem to cover the case mentioned--and includes the usual, like visas required for students (which is how I ended up in Amurica). Typical travel = no visa is how I read the guidance, and certainly that has been my experience with the Canada-US border.

Nothing like--hey you look like one of those Muslims, so we are not letting you into the country without a visa.

FWIW, I remember when travel across the border required a driver's license and a verbal confirmation of citizenship--"Children of a common mother" and all that as it is enshrined on the Peace Arch in Blaine, WA...
    In all fairness to the US Border Agent, we only have HER word on why she was turned away. I have read rumours, and it's just rumours, so no proof, that she is suspected of working or doing some business in the US. As far as I know, if you don't have proper documentation you can be turned away if the border guard is suspicious.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    We used to need a driver's license and a polite demeanor to get into Canada.

A couple of years ago, my husband's co-worker got turned away at the border for having a DUI that was 20 years old or so, in the US- he had forgotten about it!
    Yes, it's a criminal record and it's cause to be turned away from the border.

There is a show called Border Security (now cancelled) and it's interesting to hear of reasons why people are turned away at the border.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12