desert smouth
    Mar 2003

another handgun quickie...

A total noob question. If I were to get into shooting...

I'm from the country, so I'm pretty well versed in the ways of shotgun useage as a means of dinner procurement and entertainment (skeet.) I happen to be left eye dominant (but right handed), which meant I shot left handed. As such, I usually ended up shooting pump action 12 and 20s - because the semis would often eject into my right arm kicking the cartridge back up into my face. That was fine by me since all the guys with semis always had to fuss over having mag shells, or this brand, or that type, or else their gun wouldn't work. The freedom to shoot cheaper shells, plus less expensive guns was nice. I tried to learn to shoot right handed at first, but wasn't any good unless I covered my left eye. Inherently, I would otherwise revert to my left eye, which was nowhere near the sight line.

So how does this work out in the handgun world? Would I just learn to shoot with my right eye? Would I hold left handed and shoot with left eye, or hold with right hand and turn my head a bit more to get my left eye into play? Obviously shooting with the left hand often puts the tumb safety in the wrong place, no?

had it in the ear before
    u need one for each hand
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

desert smouth
    Mar 2003
    Clearly, he's concerned about his sighting eye and safeties...

Call me a Fred
    Get a revolver. They don't eject any cases.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Failboat Captian
    I've done very little shooting in my life. But the shooting I have done is with a friend's Glock 9. I probably spent 2 full boxes of shells each time (only done it twice). I'm also right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed.

I never had an issue with sighting. The only issue I had was with shells being ejected near my head, and one or two actually grazing my hair. Once my friend told me what was going on, I was able to overcome it pretty easily. But that's an issue with the way the Glock ejected the shells,
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

desert smouth
    Mar 2003
    So I'm guessing that left eye, right handed holding just isn't an issue when hand-held? Obviously it's near impossible on shouldered guns to get the "wrong" eye down there.

had it in the ear before
    This guy seems to manage.

you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

More cowbell!
    Cup your left hand around the heel of your right hand. Point your right finger like a gun barrel. Close your eyes and pretend to aim at something in front of you. Now open one eye at a time and see which aligns with your finger. My left eye is directly in line when I try this.
    DFL > DNF > DNS

AYHCSMB etc.
    the weaver stance is more accommodating to right handers/left eye dominant. take a basic handgun or L2 class and this should be covered in depth.

i'm right eye dominant but sometimes automagically shift to left eye. go figure.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Weed
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmyster
    A total noob question. If I were to get into shooting...

I'm from the country, so I'm pretty well versed in the ways of shotgun useage as a means of dinner procurement and entertainment (skeet.) I happen to be left eye dominant (but right handed), which meant I shot left handed. As such, I usually ended up shooting pump action 12 and 20s - because the semis would often eject into my right arm kicking the cartridge back up into my face. That was fine by me since all the guys with semis always had to fuss over having mag shells, or this brand, or that type, or else their gun wouldn't work. The freedom to shoot cheaper shells, plus less expensive guns was nice. I tried to learn to shoot right handed at first, but wasn't any good unless I covered my left eye. Inherently, I would otherwise revert to my left eye, which was nowhere near the sight line.

So how does this work out in the handgun world? Would I just learn to shoot with my right eye? Would I hold left handed and shoot with left eye, or hold with right hand and turn my head a bit more to get my left eye into play? Obviously shooting with the left hand often puts the tumb safety in the wrong place, no?

If you want a shotgun that works well for a left hander get an Ithaca 37 pump shotgun. They eject empty shells out of the bottom/loading port. I've shot a lot of shotguns left handed but I don't recall ever having a problem with shells in my face. Shells never hit my arm because of the shooting stance I use.

There really should not be a great problem with holding a handgun in the right hand and being left eye dominant. I'm left handed, but as a police firearms instructor , 90% of my students were right handed. I quickly learned to hold and fire handguns with my right hand
    since I had to correctly teach and demonstrate for the students. There really was no issue with spent casings hitting my face, although it is possible that an individual weapon might occasionally have a problem with this.

Most weapons come with ambidextrous safeties now so if you do choose to shoot left handed it should not be a problem.

had it in the ear before
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot

Most weapons come with ambidextrous safeties now so if you do choose to shoot left handed it should not be a problem.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Cap'n of Industry
    Don't overthink it. Several IPSC pros are right handed left eye dominant. One of em puts scotch tape over his left eyeglass lense, small piece to blur only the sights. That works for many people if the right eye has good acuity. If right eye vision sucks go ahead and use the left, if ejection of shells is a problem that can be easily tuned.

I'm right eye right hand but sight with the right eye whenever shooting weak (left) hand. Not a problem. When I play two fists of fury I aim with the right and let the left side follow along. With a little practice it makes you a better weak hand shooter as your muscle memory starts to better mimic the actions of your strong side.