Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Does she see a bird?
    No, she heard one but it wasn't there to be seen. That's seeking, not hunting.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Has she discovered the cat-nirvana of being inside a box or grocery bag yet?

https://www.wired.com/2015/02/whats-...ats-and-boxes/

You might note that there are multiple pics of her in boxes in this thread.

Boxes rotate based on delivery and cat interest, bags she is not interested in, and she loves her three way crinkle tunnel, which makes noises like a bag but can be run through.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    You might note that there are multiple pics of her in boxes in this thread.

Boxes rotate based on delivery and cat interest, bags she is not interested in, and she loves her three way crinkle tunnel, which makes noises like a bag but can be run through.
    Ah, skimmed past those two posts.

And... adorable!

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

gazing from the shadows
    Just when I think I am used to Sula's ways....

Yesterday morning I came in the back porch and she was sitting there, quietly. Now we don't take her out every day, or every time she asks, but she does ask a lot. So, because she was NOT asking, I grabbed the leash and held it up.

She sat there and looked at me.

So I gestured towards the door with the leash, and asked if she wanted out. The only response was a narrowing of the eyes.

So I put the leash away, and told her she did not have to go out. But this struck me as VERY odd behavior. I have never had a cat who likes to go outside not go when offered. If she had not been totally normal earlier in the morning, I might have thought there was a medical issue, but instead I chalked it up to "cat thing".

10 seconds later Tavi came into the porch. Sula jumped up, walked to the door, and made her "I want this" meow.

Sula wanted to go outside, just not without her buddy. Not that day, other days sure, but not that day.

Boobies!
    Just when I think I am used to Sula's ways....

Yesterday morning I came in the back porch and she was sitting there, quietly. Now we don't take her out every day, or every time she asks, but she does ask a lot. So, because she was NOT asking, I grabbed the leash and held it up.

She sat there and looked at me.

So I gestured towards the door with the leash, and asked if she wanted out. The only response was a narrowing of the eyes.

So I put the leash away, and told her she did not have to go out. But this struck me as VERY odd behavior. I have never had a cat who likes to go outside not go when offered. If she had not been totally normal earlier in the morning, I might have thought there was a medical issue, but instead I chalked it up to "cat thing".

10 seconds later Tavi came into the porch. Sula jumped up, walked to the door, and made her "I want this" meow.

Sula wanted to go outside, just not without her buddy. Not that day, other days sure, but not that day.
    She sounds like she's a good communicator!

I'm also convinced that they communicate with each other via ESP. I used to be the hot ticket for a bed-time cuddle once I was comfortable laying down, one or the other would hop up and sit on my chest. We used to joke that they would arrange with each other who's turn it was to sit on me...

Only occasionally it would be both--and then Mr. Fred usually made sure he pushed his way in, and Mr. Claude would defer (even though he is the Alpha...)
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    She sounds like she's a good communicator!

I'm also convinced that they communicate with each other via ESP. I used to be the hot ticket for a bed-time cuddle once I was comfortable laying down, one or the other would hop up and sit on my chest. We used to joke that they would arrange with each other who's turn it was to sit on me...
    She will end up being a human whisperer, that's my guess.

Cats do trade off with human time, ime. They cover each other's jobs too.

They also communicate in many ways, I am sure, that we miss. Lots of body language, ear movement, and other things we don't even know about. Sometimes I can see hints of this, like when one walks in, does little but sit and look around... blinks a few times.... another cat does a bit of looking/listening.... then two cats walk out. After a bit I might find them in the basement, or porch, or just sitting in another room. Why? Dunno.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    She will end up being a human whisperer, that's my guess.

Cats do trade off with human time, ime. They cover each other's jobs too.

They also communicate in many ways, I am sure, that we miss. Lots of body language, ear movement, and other things we don't even know about. Sometimes I can see hints of this, like when one walks in, does little but sit and look around... blinks a few times.... another cat does a bit of looking/listening.... then two cats walk out. After a bit I might find them in the basement, or porch, or just sitting in another room. Why? Dunno.
    I’ve only 2 currenly, both females who barely tolerate each other. Or possibly thats what they display for the humans as sometimes they both head out off the bed at night and disappear together. My wife and I joke they’re in the basement smoking a joint.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Congratulations. She's adorable.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    I’ve only 2 currenly, both females who barely tolerate each other. Or possibly thats what they display for the humans as sometimes they both head out off the bed at night and disappear together. My wife and I joke they’re in the basement smoking a joint.
    If they are in the same room at the same time that's being social for cats, in the cat world at least. Two cats often end up that way, which is why we keep 3. That makes a WORLD of difference.

Without knowing the details, it might be that they are jealous of human attention, and feel they are not getting their fair share. They see the other as competition for scarce resources. So try making sure each gets a turn (at whatever) if both are in the room. Might help, can't hurt.

gazing from the shadows
    Two words: whisker freckles.

Name:  whiskerfreckles.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  129.6 KB

gazing from the shadows
    Two words: whisker freckles.

Two more words: Penelope. Penny.

Maybe on the name, no maybe on the kitten!

another to be named later.-lrdanceish.jpg

gazing from the shadows
    So..... the kittening part umpteen for us.

Penny was born in the shelter, and is now 10 weeks. She is technically a muted torbie (mom tortie, dad likely something gray with some tabbie.) But since her brown is nearly white, and is mostly undercoat, we are saying she is gray with blue markings.

She was a bit quiet in the shelter, though did make a brave leap from my wife's arms at one point. And she was not our first choice this time around. First one we lost because one of our cats was a couple months overdue for shots, but these things tend to work out well, as with Sula.

She was very scared when we brought her home, of course. She drank, but we did not see her eat for a couple of days (it was fine, her breath smelled like cat food at times). She was very scared of the other cats, where Sula was not. We opened up the bathroom and Sula and Tavi were ON IT! Very fascinated. Intense staring. No aggression at all. Penny was very arched and puffy. Tavi quickly went into non threat mode: looking around, turning her back, slowly moving past, etc.

Sula just stared, wide eyed. You should know that she puts out a vibe, or so it seems. Birds send up warning cries from across the street when she is on the leash. Exude the spirit of the bringer of death kind of thing. But WOW did she want to play. So she did. The first game she played with the kitten was "appear in front of the kitten and watch it jump". Penny turns around, there is Sula. Penny goes around a corner, Sula. Penny goes back the other way.... Sula. Sula even jumped down 4' from the cat tree to a table, which she always makes noise doing, completely silently, then to the ground inches behind Penny. Then Penny turned.

By the end of the first day, they had some chases, including some tunnel chases. Second day we saw Sula slow charging the kitten from behind, but SHUFFLING HER PAWS ON THE WOOD FLOOR TO MAKE NOISE so the kitten would hear her coming.

By day three, full on chase play, and some tentative touching play. They will be buds.

Here's the two of them on the first night, in a typical situation once things slowed down. (Look over Penny's right shoulder if you don't see it.)

another to be named later.-day1stringss.jpg

Tavi, well. First, her buddy Sula has not had time for wrestling.

Tavi tries very hard, but two things are holding her back. First, she flinches from the kitten a lot. It's her neurological issues, but the kitten responds with fear, which ends many an attempt on her part.

The other issue is that Tavi is a bit of a monster. She is shaped like a cheetah... if that cheetah had been using supplements and hitting the free weights, brah! She has a huge chest, narrow middle, and powerful rear legs. She has a long body, long legs, long toes. She has slabs of muscle that show when she walks. She is naturally large, but spent her first year climbing a lot, and the last year wrestling.

In this picture, she is pretty much in compact loaf form. Only her paws and head are off the edge. That ottoman is about 2 feet on the diagonal.

another to be named later.-lrtaviwide.jpg

So, even when she lays on the floor, and slowly reaches out a paw, it's a pretty intimidating sight for a kitten!

Progress is slow, it will happen. Tavi put a paw on the kitten and sniffed when she walked by the third day, and that went without a hitch.

But we have been careful to give Tavi extra love, since she is missing out.

Our eldest cat, Nora, is shaped like a Hut. As in Jabba the. She likes no one but us. She tolerates a brief sniff from the kitten, just like the other cats. No more, and maybe not that! She is actually taking this well, so far. After a week, something will likely be pooped on or peed on in protest, and that will be that.

But yesterday, she walked past Sula, and licked her head. Once. And moved on. That is something I have never seen her do. I assume she was thanking Sula for keeping the kitten out of the way.

Overall, a successful kittening. Now we see about Penny and who she becomes. She seems pretty smart, and pretty brave, but a bit cautious, and most certainly she is starting to get bossy... if her charge at me when I ate a single potato chip followed by meows aplenty are any indication.

I gave her some canned food, not chips.

A couple pics to top things off:

Early hours, scary things!

another to be named later.-day1scaredss.jpg

Her first open window.

another to be named later.-day3windowprofss.jpg

Awwwwwwww.

another to be named later.-day2flowerhidess.jpg

Boobies!
    Penelope is so pretty--and so young!

I've often wondered about the difference in sociability in cats--some, very territorial, 'mine, mine, mine' about their owners, others just seem more open to making friends. I suppose it is partly age...

Our Mr. Casey--who is a fierce hunter of small four legged critters--is Mr. Casual when it comes to other cats--even dogs. I walked our neighbor's poodle across our back yard one day when I forgot he was out there--and it was the classic stop, question mark tail and then a nose touch with the poodle (who admittedly was a pretty special creature herself). Meanwhile I had thoughts of kitty mayhem. Our others (who were chased by a pair of local hairbrained dogs that the owners used to refuse to leash) only have to catch a glimpse of a dog, and it is full freeze, followed by disappearance.
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

gazing from the shadows

How to have social cats.

Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Penelope is so pretty--and so young!

I've often wondered about the difference in sociability in cats--some, very territorial, 'mine, mine, mine' about their owners, others just seem more open to making friends. I suppose it is partly age...

Our Mr. Casey--who is a fierce hunter of small four legged critters--is Mr. Casual when it comes to other cats--even dogs.
    Mr. Casey sounds like a pretty secure cat. Some are just wired to be chill, or to be worried, or cautious, but generally I have found that as I practice I get more out of them wherever they start from.

I can talk about my experience a bit, regarding social and less social cats. While a couple of mine have been non-touchy or not ones to play with other cats, they have all been social in their own ways. Presence is being social after all. And everyone has always gathered at times, not just food times.

The fundamental rule I have is that cats are way more social with 3. If you want to spark sociability, you do best with working up to three. Adding a kitten is easiest. The smaller the easier.

In nature, ferals are social when resources are not scarce, more likely with females. So, get one at a time, opposite sex for the first two, female for the third. Easiest, not required on sex mix.

So, onto some details.

To have social cats, you need to meet their needs. And you need to expect them to be social beings.

Meeting needs:

Basics, food, clean water, etc. Love, attention, freedom to choose actions mostly. Also places to climb if they are climbers. A place to sit and watch kitchen activities if they are really interested. A lap OR a spot on the legs, OR a spot next to you. Gentle touch, rough play. If they ask, there is some need for THEM, and your job is to figure out the young cat messing with your stuff really needs to burn more energy in play every day.

So learn to speak cat. Body language plays a big part, ears are expressive. A slow blink at you is an affection move, mirror it with a couple back. You'll get fluent, lots of resources on the web too. Way of Cats blog works well for details.

I won't go into more detail, on to....

Social beings:

Dogs obey, cats cooperate. They are subtle with communication. But to focus on the social aspect of communication, if you walked into a room and the cat left a couple of times in a row, would you think the cat liked you? Now what if you walked out a couple times on a cat, especially a new cat?

Now, say hello when they come in, maybe pet 3 strokes on the way past, and you have acknowledged the cat. Bond strengthened.

Over time, back and forth communication leads to relationships, and trust. If you want cats to understand "Later", you can say "later", wave hands about like doing something, then "later." in a sad tone. But if you do, understand that cats who learn to understand you will take it as a promise. Don't break promises, more trust.

Routines are promises, btw.

Over time, cats will open more and more doors. Walk through them, and the sky is the limit.

For example, today. Sula has been working at getting Penny to play. She slows down for demonstration purposes. Given some contact play, I decided to get involved in the cat world.

Warning, this is advanced catting.

I saw Sula on the cat tree (6' of platforms, then a post to the ceiling.... and trust me this is a NEED). Penny was working her way up. Sula was at the 4' level, where they previously played. So I stepped over, and proceeded to play "fight the hand and forearm" with Sula while Penny watched.

While wrapped around my arm, pretty fast but really slow for Sula, she reared her neck and upper back and opened her mouth SUPER wide, then lunged an BIT my arm. Pressure, visible skin deformation, no pain. I shook her a bit while quietly saying "arrrrrrrrr." She was silent. We disengaged, and repeated several times. Then I told her she was a very good girl, petted her and she mrrrrr'd a few times.

Penny had learned what "ow" means, she knows the sound people make when we get hurt. I was not making that sound. Sula was silent, we were playing, though it looked pretty scary.

I am very sure Sula appreciated me helping with the lessons, given her super lovey actions a bit later when kitten time was over. And I am 100% certain that a couple hours later Sula was pouncing on Penny's head, swinging her legs around to raking position, and tussling in the same controlled way Tavi did with her when she was small...

...all in complete silence.

gazing from the shadows

The other issue is that Tavi is a bit of a monster.
    A monster who has lost almost a pound and a half, over the past year of wrestling.

She is a good girl. And a happy one!

another to be named later.-lrtaviface.jpg

gazing from the shadows
    Another example, from yesterday.

To have social cats...
    You will note I did not say "make cats social" or "create social cats". They'll do the work on their own, if we don't screw things up. But sometimes, the human perspective can definitely help when things are going badly in the social cat world.

Tavi has a sad about not having Sula time. Yesterday she came into the living room, and laid down by my feet. I was about to start lunch, but I could take 5 minutes to lay on the floor by her.

Cats love it when people lay on the floor, btw.

So, we're hanging, and Sula comes in, walks right by Tavi, then sits in a triangle with us, facing away from both of us. She was going to hang, but did not want anything else. So I decided to tell her that Tavi was sad and she should be nice to Tavi. This is some higher order communication, and maybe in 5 years I could just say those words to Sula (the other cats won't ever be at that level), but here is how I actually did it.

I said Sula's name so she looked at me, then I said some words, with motions towards Tavi and an occasional pet of Tavi. Most of what I said consisted of this sort of thing:

"Sula tavi sula tavi, tavitavitavi sulasulasula, sula sula tavi tavi..." And yes, I did feel a bit silly trying this.

Anyway, three concepts that have to be linked to "get" meaning: two names, and the fact that I was calling her attention to those two names.

Sula turned away and sat still for a few minutes. Here is how I think her brain processed this. "That was different, my person seemed to be trying to tell me something unusual, I wonder what he was trying to say? It was different, so it must be important to him. Hmmmmm .... me... tavi... me.... tavi...."

She then stood up, turned around, walked to Tavi, licked her head a couple of times, and then she did something I have not seen in a LONG time.

She stuck her head under Tavi's, so that Tavi could grab her head and lick it, just like when Sula was a tiny kitten. A good deal of that, then some mutual grooming.

Later Tavi sat (in her normal spot) in a room with us and all the other cats, not outside and around the corner.

Sometimes silly works, if you have faith that your pet will try to figure things out.

gazing from the shadows
    Too many words, not enough pics.

Low res screen captures will have to do for now.

A bit of quiet time.

another to be named later.-lrtavpenwindow.jpg

Back of chair sun stretch.

another to be named later.-lrpensun1.jpg

Penny wishes you a good day!

another to be named later.-lrtavpenwindow2.jpg

Bonus pic of Nora, a bit player in the stories here, but not in the house. One of her names is, in fact, Miss Crosspaws.

another to be named later.-lrnoraeyes.jpg

gazing from the shadows
    Action shots:

First the stare

another to be named later.-lrwp2.jpg

Next the charge

another to be named later.-lrwp3.jpg

Now the head attack/rear leg spin to the rake (rear legs still in the air)

another to be named later.-lrwpmidpounce.jpg

The clinch!!!!

another to be named later.-lrwp4.jpg

And.... the indomitable spirit!

another to be named later.-lrwppentap.jpg

(Edit to add: in case you did not notice, that's a composite sequence. No burst mode on my old gear, but I wanted to give a feel of the real sequences going on behind he words.)
    Last edited by QuiQuaeQuod; 08-22-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: clarity re: reality

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Good stuff all Qui, mirrors a lot of what I’ve learned very slowly about cats. I’ve one that I’ll head butt in the side when she’s on the bed. She loves it and we exchange butting while she purrs and does that little growl meow (yeah, I know this sounds weird. The other female cat doesn’t get it but she’s a calico and not as smart. Also the calicos a much less confident cat, was a feral longer and sometimes they don’t shake that.

Also good points about group dynamics of 2 vs. 3 vs. 4 etc.. I’d love 2 kittens but don’t want to stress my 16 yr. old.

gazing from the shadows
    Next the charge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lrwp3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	323418

ZOOM!

another to be named later.-lrwpclosezen.jpg

I love her calmness. Big killer cat attack, no big deal.

---

Also good points about group dynamics of 2 vs. 3 vs. 4 etc.. I’d love 2 kittens but don’t want to stress my 16 yr. old.
    Max was 16 when this thread was started, though she had kittened other times. Most cats will tolerate one, two risks being seen as an invasion!

One at a time is my kitten suggestion, other than when dealing with bonded pairs. If you want to take that on in the future, bonded or just 2, more power to you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

---

Max was 16 when this thread was started, though she had kittened other times. Most cats will tolerate one, two risks being seen as an invasion!

One at a time is my kitten suggestion, other than when dealing with bonded pairs. If you want to take that on in the future, bonded or just 2, more power to you!
    The 16 yr old - Zoey, was first of a continual stream of kittens, 22 or so early in her years, when her mother, a feral, kept dropping, we eventually trapped and stopped the explosion of cats. All the kittens got caught, domesticated and adopted elsewhere, but my thought is she’s done her duty at adapting to kittens so will let her live out without stress.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Front doorbell rings at 9:30 tonight, it’s a neighbors kid “we found a kitten” and everybody knows we’re the cat people. So now she’s in the front spare room, I’ll stay with her tonight. Female for sure, likely 5 mos. or so, clean, friendly, wore a collar, and off to the vet tomorrow. Pretty little thing, not sure if this will work as our calico does not get along with other females that we’ve boarded at times. Maybe a smaller cat won’t be as threatening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another to be named later.-2496640b-a977-4ad4-8fe9-299e590f2af5.jpg  

gazing from the shadows
    Front doorbell rings at 9:30 tonight, it’s a neighbors kid “we found a kitten” and everybody knows we’re the cat people.
    Good looking cat!

She is likely chipped in this day and age. But there is always a chance the universe is giving you the cat you need

Oh, and ... https://cheezburger.com/2131717/i-guess-i-own-a-cat-now
    Last edited by QuiQuaeQuod; 08-24-2018 at 03:00 AM.

gazing from the shadows
    So, after a week, what can I say?

First, as confirmed by my wife, sula-catname-sula-catname sends Sula to check on that cat now. We will use this power only when needed, not just for the fun of it.

Sula is in full mom mode. Mega baths, but also she does not want to go out when the kitten is awake, the proper time is when the kitten naps.

Penny has a bit of a 'tude. Not bad, but she definitely has her preferences. If she is on a lap getting petted, and has had enough, she will move EVER so slightly away on the lap. Petting should stop then. If not, expect to be meowed at! Then she will move to the side of the person, then go away. Tortitude, but not of a bad sort given her overall good nature. Loud purr, much love, much plays. Her and Tavi wrestled a bit this morning. Nora is better than we have ever seen with a new little one in the house.

Posting will resume based on cat cuteness occurring near cameras.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Me too
    Me Three!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast