gazing from the shadows

another to be named later.

Farm fresh. Got her at barely over 6 weeks, but she was eating hard food. So we went for it.

another to be named later.-newcat1-copy.jpg

Mom was not feral, but was a working cat. Living in the mud room of a horse barn. So this little girl was quite well socialized (as a cat) and had enough contact with humans (including kids) to be able to be picked up. For 5 seconds.

She shied from hands (kids, duh) and shied from legs and feet (horses) by running under something. That lasted 1 day, then she was underfoot. Trust built that fast was a good sign.

Now she is quite happy to be scooped, when not killing things at least.

Here she poses in the sun.

another to be named later.-newcat2.jpg

She has been accepted by the others, play goes on, and even wrestling. When they first hissed at her, she took a step back and sat down. Same thing every time, so what could they do? She was too well behaved to whap!

Whapping has commenced, btw. Our eldest cat doesn't bother, she just bends an elbow to simulate lifting a paw. That suffices to send the kitten scampering. But she also plays with her a lot, including stairball, pounce, and all the other cat games. This isn't her first rodeo, and she has wrangled kittens before. She teaches important lessons, obviously she is teaching. Kill a toy, look at the kitten. Hop in a window, look at the kitten. This time, she actually seems to be really happy about doing so, judging by the many and loud purrs. The new kitten is THAT good.

Everyone has been getting special treats. Which helps.

another to be named later.-newcat3-copy.jpg

You probably think she is black. Well, she does look black most of the time. But in sunlight, depending on angle, you can see she is really has black and brown, with flecks of white all over. But most time in most light, black cat.

another to be named later.-newcat4-copy-2-.jpg

She is, without a doubt, the smartest kitten we have ever had. Playful, loving, good natured too. Very soft paws in play, very controlled.

May all your days be as fine as my days with this kitten.
    Last edited by QuiQuaeQuod; 1 Week Ago at 05:17 AM. Reason: pics corrected
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh my goodness, I'm in love!

I have a feral cat, but she was 3 years old when we got her. She was used to humans, but you can't pick her up. Sweetest (as long as you don't try to pick her up) little thing and loves that she gets 3 meals a day and loves to cuddle at night. Loudest purr I've ever heard on a cat.

I used to foster kittens for the local shelter and ended up adopting one of the moms. She became the best foster momma cat to teach feral kittens, who were taken away from their feral mom early in hopes to tame them enough to adopt out, social skills.

Keep up feeding them real meat, it's what they are meant to eat and gives them their vitamins in natural form (raw anyways). Cats are oblique carnivores, they don't require any carbs. I make my own raw food using the prey model recipe which I mix with quality canned.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Keep up feeding them real meat, it's what they are meant to eat and gives them their vitamins in natural form (raw anyways). Cats are oblique carnivores, they don't require any carbs. I make my own raw food using the prey model recipe which I mix with quality canned.
    The carcass was a special treat, and a community building experience. But we feed high quality canned and dry (high protein, no grains, etc). We're going on a third decade of continuous cats, so we know our options on most things. We've never gone to the make our own food stage, mostly because we don't want the cats to think our food is their food. Which they don't, other than very, very specific things.

One of our cats loves donuts. She gets two small bites of middle on the rare occasion we have them. Less than the size of a dime in total. Used to have a cat who loved corn chips. He got one, of course. Another loved olives. In each case, it was the cat who made it clear this particular things is a thing they love. So tiny bits once in a great while is what they get.

Had one who loved raisins. She did NOT get them, since they can cause problems. We aren't total push overs!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    The carcass was a special treat, and a community building experience. But we feed high quality canned and dry (high protein, no grains, etc). We're going on a third decade of continuous cats, so we know our options on most things. We've never gone to the make our own food stage, mostly because we don't want the cats to think our food is their food. Which they don't, other than very, very specific things.

One of our cats loves donuts. She gets two small bites of middle on the rare occasion we have them. Less than the size of a dime in total. Used to have a cat who loved corn chips. He got one, of course. Another loved olives. In each case, it was the cat who made it clear this particular things is a thing they love. So tiny bits once in a great while is what they get.

Had one who loved raisins. She did NOT get them, since they can cause problems. We aren't total push overs!
    Glad to hear they are getting fed well.

Our feral has that "your food is my food" attitude. She grew up in a factory so I think some workers must have thrown her some of their lunch food. Of course it doesn't help that hubby is such a sucker for her little meow when we are eating that he gives her some of his dinner

I love your kitty's little white specks of fur.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We feed our oldie pure meat, no additives, from a can- but lately she only eats about half of it. Frustrating, since she really needs more water in her diet.

She's also obsessed with donuts. Even more than I am!

These photos and stories are beyond precious!

Pooped a refrigerator.
    I don't often give Meatball meat, but it's always raw if I do. Cooked protein is very bad for a cat's kidneys. On her birthday I give her an ahi tuna filet.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

gazing from the shadows
    I love your kitty's little white specks of fur.
    They make her sparkle in the sun.

Crusty AF
    Ours is super fluffy as an adult, but I forgot how happy it makes me looking at them all as kittens, with their fur seeming to stick out perpendicular to their whole body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Beautiful cat! Possible names?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Our feral has that "your food is my food" attitude.
    I'm lately of the opinion that cats that have otherwise never desired human foods and that develop this interest, are doing so to tell us we are part of their pack, where food might otherwise be shared.

My 15 yr. old female, never begged at the table, till after the 3 male beggars had died. Then she started showing up for butter, steak (very rare only), ham, sour cream, etc.... She always liked ice cream after dinner, but never begged. Seems she's taken over the duties of her older brothers who have since passed on.

I've also had cats (2 male) that had what I call "food anxieties" in that they, at some early point(s) in their lives, were always hungry on a regular basis. They then would always be ready for another meal, always show up for breakfast and dinner, meowing endlessly, stealing food off a table, etc... All my other cats raised from kittens always had dried food available and were fed canned food twice per day, thus never developed these anxieties.

And that's a sweet looking kitten as BTW !.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Seems she's taken over the duties of her older brothers who have since passed on.
    That happens a lot, actually. They do take over "jobs" that other cats did, because they were obviously important. So I would guess she is begging for food because she thinks you like that. You would miss it after all these years, so she throws herself on the grenade.

Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Possible names?
    Yes. Many, though most have not worked out. And we are still trying some out.

Pretty sure she is going to be Ursula.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Awwwww.

The last pic that you posted looks like she is smiling in her sleep.

RoadBikeReview Member

Pretty sure she is going to be Ursula.
    I've always wanted to name a cat "Stella", so I could stand outside the door and call her:

"Stella!.....Hey STELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

a real member's member
    i like cats.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i like cats.
    Me too
    All the gear and no idea

Proud luddite
    Sounds like an awesome kitty!

We added a black kitten to the mix earlier this year. She's a scamp and keeps the others on their toes....or perhaps on their paws. It's nice to have a house panther.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I've always wanted to name a cat "Stella", so I could stand outside the door and call her:

"Stella!.....Hey STELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    see I went a step further. It's the name of my daughter
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Misfit Toy
    She's a beauty! Congratulations on the newest addition.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Nice kitty. Congrats!

take on me
    Call her Razor.

Or maybe Slash? Soul-Eater? Greymalkin? Shaft?
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Aw, what a cutie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I approve of this kitty. Beautiful!