Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    We had five or six pounds of candy, and we ended the night with four or five pounds. I guess no decorations and a longish driveway kept them away. I watched group after group walk right past our house. Even with all our flood lights and front porch light burning. Too lazy to walk the driveway, I guess.
    Click here to edit signature.

Not a climber
    We had maybe 10 total kids in 4 groups. Started with a huge bowl of candy and let the kids grab the candy themselves since we weren't expecting many. I get that they are kids, but was kind of depressing to see the last group of them grab as big of a handful as they could, one girl probably getting 15 pieces of candy in one grab. Greedy little bastards.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    We contemplated handing out booze to the parents, next year I'm going to make cookies or something for the parents. I want to encourage people to come out and stop by the house.
    I wish you lived in my neighborhood.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't top my brother-in-law. He donned his Oddfellows garb for the occasion. He isn't supposed to speak while wearing the outfit (Freemason rules.) So he stood outside shaking the candy bucket, making the kids a bit leery, but they loved it!

Name:  brad halloween 2015.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  28.1 KB

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Can't top my brother-in-law. He donned his Oddfellows garb for the occasion. He isn't supposed to speak while wearing the outfit (Freemason rules.) So he stood outside shaking the candy bucket, making the kids a bit leery, but they loved it!

Name:  brad halloween 2015.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  28.1 KB

That's cool, but... it also kinda looks a bit 'neo-KKK' too.

Ah well, can't shield the kiddies forever.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Fake President
    Sigh. Sooooo depressing driving through the neighborhood at 5:30pm today, seeing all the little kids already trick-r-treating in broad, absolutely NON-spooky, UN-Halloween-y daylight.

When I have kids, this shall not stand. Not for them.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Sigh. Sooooo depressing driving through the neighborhood at 5:30pm today, seeing all the little kids already trick-r-treating in broad, absolutely NON-spooky, UN-Halloween-y daylight.

They're not supposed to start before 6 pm where I live. This time of year, it's well into dark by that time. I approve of that part, it should be dark for trick or treating. The part that makes me shake my head is the town alarm siren thing goes off at 8 pm and that's the signal that it's time to stop knocking on doors. I don't mind a cut-off time, the kids have school and people have to work the next morning, but that seems a bit early. The kid still came home with way more stuff than she'll ever eat. We're going to pack up a bag from it and take it to her sister. The grandson is sick and it was raining last night so she didn't want to take him out.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

What the what???
    Here they not only set the time, but the date as well. They do "Beggar's Night" the day before Halloween. That's when the kids do their trick or treating.

First off, I've never liked the term "Beggar's Night". My kids aren't beggars. Second, over the past few years there were fewer and fewer houses handing out candy on our street, so the kids stopped coming. This year we left the light off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

We have met the enemy...
    I can't remember the last time we had trick or treaters at the door--it was probably 20+ years and four or five houses ago...

I used to like seeing the little peeps dressed up, but around here there is no Halloween except for parades and organized events at the Village hall and elsewhere. In the7 or 8 years we have been here, we have never seen kids trick or treating...
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    My decorations:
    Another Sad Halloween...-m1.jpg

The front light is an orange LED and without the photo flash, it's the perfect ambiance.! Note the reflection on the right of the photo from my bike's headlight!

Above the photo, I had spooky Halloween sounds playing from my stereo speakers mounted in the window. One person was amazed I tied the noose myself.

gazing from the shadows
    If kids don't go out door to door where you live, that's a sign of a decaying society. Your place of residence sucks, iow.

Normal number here.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I much prefer Fasching .. but then again I also find Das Fatherland beverages superior.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Best costume of the night:

Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    The last few years have been relatively quiet for us. This year we had a lot more kids, many little ones in the 2-5 age bracket. It was nice to see.

I don't mind the daylight trick or treating so much. It's a little warmer, which is good since my girl usually dresses like a princess - which is a look not known for warmth.

Any they're in trouble if I catch the two of them not saying "trick or treat", "thank you", and "happy halloween". I hate rude trick or treaters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Left work early yesterday just so I could get more trick-or-treaters to eat the 5lbs of candy. Also, gave me some time to sort out the Laffy Taffy (made sure to give all of that away along with the other stuff) and Baby Ruths (hoarded them and packed away in the freezer.)

Not that many came in the daylight hours, but we had the usual two dozen or so up until 9pm. We pack things up around 10.

I nerd out over it, afraid it's going to become a ruined tradition. Doesn't even bother me if some kids are a bit ruder than others, for the most part they're all awesome and cute.

The way I see it, it's a holiday where kids get to shamelessly expect handouts from grown-ups. They can't buy their own stuff, so it's fun for them to feel a bit empowered.

Gave one kid about two or three candies, and he said, "Gimme MORE!" I said, hang on let's make sure everybody gets some first.......he said it again so he got one extra mini candy. I can handle some attitude, but I don't want to encourage his buddies/siblings to start making demands like that!

Anyway. It was simple and fun as always. Plenty of leftovers which we're taking to work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by B_arrington View Post
    The last few years have been relatively quiet for us. This year we had a lot more kids, many little ones in the 2-5 age bracket. It was nice to see.

I don't mind the daylight trick or treating so much. It's a little warmer, which is good since my girl usually dresses like a princess - which is a look not known for warmth.

Any they're in trouble if I catch the two of them not saying "trick or treat", "thank you", and "happy halloween". I hate rude trick or treaters.
    The numbers seem down in my neighborhood from past years but it seems like the one's not coming out are the teenagers. That is fine by me as they are the one's most likley to have an attitude and a weak costume. I have no issue with the littlest kids coming in the daylight. Its just safer for them

Crusty AF
    We moved 2 months ago, and the new street is rotten with kids of all ages. Our last house saw maybe 1-2 dozen all night, but the new street was packed with kids and families running around. I'm not a huge Halloween booster, but it was kind of fun. Little nugget had a great time, once mom and dad quit stalling trying to take photos...

Another Sad Halloween...-img_1811.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Fecal indicator
    had zero visitors last nite.

somewhat odd as there were HORDES combing the hood last year. noticed a few families having small parties in their front yards and two nearby churches had events, but there was no mass canvassing.

perhaps that tradition has outlived its time...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    The kids showed up after dark for us. They seemed to like my pumpkins as I put my bicycle blinky lights inside and it gave them a little extra pop. We do not live on the best street for Trick or Treating so we do not get a lot of kids. They go over to one of the new neighborhoods and there is one street that fell into a super decorations street so they get mobs of children over there. .

However my Grand kids had fun. Most of the candy gets thrown out as they have a healthy diet lifestyle as we do here.

Weed
    No trick or treaters for 3 years now. Local group events seem to have taken its place (malls. ..churches).

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The best one we had was this little kid -- maybe 2 or 3 with his mother. I answer the door and he starts to walk into the house jabbering away and holding out his hands for candy. He didn't need no damn bucket. His mother looked a little embarrassed and said he's been trying to go into everyone's homes. I thought it was pretty funny. As he's leaving he keeps saying "bye ... bye daddy" to me. I hear his mother tell him "that's not your daddy".

Not Banned
    My neighborhood is a destination for Trick or Treaters. They come in by the van full. I buy big bags and give very sparingly, I still go through $60 of candy by about 8PM. My daughter took over for the later shift and gave away some of the loot she'd collected. They didn't start until dusk in my neighborhood and it was mostly the wee little ones at that hour. I don't mind that, those kids gotta get to bed
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member

Another Sad Halloween...

Left a large bowl of cheaper stuff (almost empty on our return=good) came back to late from taking my daughter and her friends. Now I have like 30-40 full size bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Famous last words ...

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Famous last words ...
    ...to live by.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast