Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fake President

Another Sad Halloween...

...seeing the poor kiddies tromping around in their costumes trick or treatin' at 5:30pm, aka broad daylight.

I remember when I was a kid, my bros and sisters would be champing at the bit to get going at 6pm (candy! candy!), and my parents were like, "Nope, it's too early, it isn't even DARK yet."

And they were right.

Note to modern parents: It AIN'T trick or treatin' unless it's dark out.
    Halloween's s'posed to be marginally spooky, not somethin' you do at dinner time.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Weed
    The kids don't even do it around here anymore. Three years in a row with 0 trick or treaters. I guess all the "trunk or treat" sites have lured them away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I think it depends where you live, in Philly they start around 4pm through 2am.

I love the 2am crew though.... They are usually drunk and more sociable at this point. Lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    We would swap out the candy for beer at this point. Just chilling on the stoop, smoking some green stuff, and providing entertainment!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Note to others..don't want to assume you don't have children. Cities and local governments set trick or treating rules...if they say ours 6-8 and it's not dark...not a whole lot Parents can do. Also..when i was a kid the world felt a lot safer..

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot View Post
    I guess all the "trunk or treat" sites have lured them away.
    "Trunk or treat" sucks. Way too easy for the kids to get tons of candy….you walk a few steps and get candy, walk a few steps and get more candy…..over and over until you have tons of sweets in maybe 30 minutes. Hell, at least make the precious snowflakes walk a bit going door to door to get their candy like the rest of us had to do when we were kids. At least that way they can burn a few calories but nooooo…."trunk or treat" is here to save the day and keep the fatties from having an asthma attack.

Holy crap I sound like a crabby old man.

Big is relative
    I live in a tony neighborhood that gets swarmed every Halloween. Last year only two other houses on my street had their lights on. We went through 25 pounds of candy. I have a circle drive and parents were driving up to our front door so their kids could only walk a few feet to get candy. This year we left the porch lights off.
    Retired sailor

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    "Trunk or treat" sucks. Way too easy for the kids to get tons of candy….you walk a few steps and get candy, walk a few steps and get more candy…..over and over until you have tons of sweets in maybe 30 minutes.

Hell, at least make the precious snowflakes walk a bit going door to door to get their candy like the rest of us had to do when we were kids. At least that way they can burn a few calories but nooooo…."trunk or treat" is here to save the day and keep the fatties from having an asthma attack.
    Yeah, sums it up. Why not just take it to its logical conclusion, and have the candy delivered to your doorstep?

Holy crap I sound like a crabby old man.
    Occasionally, crabby old men have a point.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    Note to others..don't want to assume you don't have children. Cities and local governments set trick or treating rules...if they say ours 6-8 and it's not dark...not a whole lot Parents can do. Also..when i was a kid the world felt a lot safer..
    i've never heard of a city government setting any rules for trick or treating. we got kids between 5 and 9pm. shut the lights off after that...
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    i've never heard of a city government setting any rules for trick or treating. we got kids between 5 and 9pm. shut the lights off after that...
    It may seem odd..our local police and council set times. http://fox59.com/2015/10/21/hallowee...ntral-indiana/

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    They do it where I live. The town emergency siren (not exactly sure why we have it, there's never been a tornado here in recorded history and I don't think the town has much to worry about in regards to an air raid) goes off at 8 pm and that's the signal for the kids to head home... or at least stop knocking on doors. Candy grubbing time has ended.

Of course, Halloween here is usually very cold so maybe they're trying to keep kids in their candy frenzy from stubbornly refusing to get out of the cold. This year was a rare exception, no snow yet and it was well above freezing in temp.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

I love to climb!
    Since the time shift is now after Halloween, it's light out at the same time we used to trick or treat in the dark when we were kids.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    It may seem odd.. our local police and council set times. Halloween 2015: Trick-or-Treating times in central Indiana | Fox 59
    Yeah... we don't have that here in my neck o' the woods. Seems an odd thing to regulate.

And it doesn't get dark here on Halloween 'til about 7pm.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    ...seeing the poor kiddies tromping around in their costumes trick or treatin' at 5:30pm, aka broad daylight.

I remember when I was a kid, my bros and sisters would be champing at the bit to get going at 6pm (candy! candy!), and my parents were like, "Nope, it's too early, it isn't even DARK yet."

And they were right.

Note to modern parents: It AIN'T trick or treatin' unless it's dark out.
    Halloween's s'posed to be marginally spooky, not somethin' you do at dinner time.
    we waited until dark.

what struck me is the length of time. I remember being out for hours with my friends and coming home with a pillow case full. My kids now are done after 45 minutes.

It's ok though, they aren't really big candy eaters anyway.

Seems like the number of houses participating gets fewer every year, though. I think maybe one in four or possibly fewer.

At least we can do it in our own neighborhood now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    our township set the hours this year from 4-9. That coupled with the Saturday date this year, seemed to cause a lot more kids to come out earlier. We did not have a single person come after 8

half-fast
    Our local time is announced, and sometimes we stay out longer, and sometimes we run out before it's over.

This year we gave out 90 some bags of cheese curls and 10 cans of yuengling.

Dads get a beer.

Not too may of the too-old scam artists this year.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    We had kids 6 through about 9. I've never heard of regulating times for trick or treating.

My pet peeve is the drive up trick or treater. We live in a pretty standard, easily walkable neighborhood. Car drives up, kids pile out, get candy, hop back in car. I can understand driving your kids from a different part of town for them to have some good treats, but at least make them walk the neighborhood!

RoadBikeReview Member
    We have a beautiful, festive, walkable neighborhood. It's one of the few times the neighbors wander about talking to each other.

The whole concept of "trunk or treat" pisses me off to no end. Just more religious corruption of what should be fun and festive.

For the record, the only kids ever poisoned or hurt by Halloween handouts, were related to the perps. Halloween is NOT dangerous!! It's NOT evil!! It's just that autumn gets people to thinking about death and decay, and the change of weather feels a bit cold and sinister. So why not run with it and make it FUN?!

Did notice a lot fewer kids after dark, guess b/c it was on a Saturday and therefore easier to go out during daylight. We contemplated handing out booze to the parents, next year I'm going to make cookies or something for the parents. I want to encourage people to come out and stop by the house.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post

The whole concept of "trunk or treat" pisses me off to no end. Just more religious corruption of what should be fun and festive.

Not having kids and having grown up in a rural area, what is trunk and treat? Some sort of church based thing I'm guessing based on the religion comment?
    The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Darling of The Lounge
    Most religious celebrations are under attack...even pagan ones. Now sending children out for candy is just baiting sexual predators.

I have given up on Halloween long ago. I chuckle at adults dressed up in costumes looking to recapture their lost youth while getting drunk and stupid in public.

Fecal indicator
    loved Halloween as a kid...lot of effort went into costumes. the parentals wouldn't let us go out to early because we might disturb the dinner hour, so it was good and dark by the time we hit the streets...we'd be out for hours and haul enormous amounts of candy back home. some of the cooler neighbors even made treats and handed out caramel apples, popcorn balls, brownies, cookies. good times.

but, 50 years later, I dislike the whole thing intensely. most of the kids in my neighborhood are annoying little brats.

most years, I just turn off the lights and ignore the doorbell.

bah humbug.

Weed
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
    Not having kids and having grown up in a rural area, what is trunk and treat? Some sort of church based thing I'm guessing based on the religion comment?
    It isn't specifically church based although some churches do sponsor such events but these events often take place at schools as well. Its just a place where kids go from car trunk to car trunk on a parking lot getting their treats instead of going door to door at houses.

banned
    Jul 2013
    My kid gave me some sort of ultra-healthy granola bar that some well-meaning do-gooder adult probably gave him, thinking it was a viable alternative to the usual mixture of toxic dyes, sugar, chocolate and fat. Even I can't bring myself to eat it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It isn't specifically church based although some churches do sponsor such events but these events often take place at schools as well. Its just a place where kids go from car trunk to car trunk on a parking lot getting their treats instead of going door to door at houses.
    I heard it was a church thing, but I suppose it could be anyplace. Kids around here also go from store to store, which I guess is a great marketing gimmick.

Man, it's weird when people say they hate Halloween. I decorate using found stuff and old crap, make my own damn wreaths each season, and it works fine. John spends too much on candy, and puts on his construction gear and gets into it.

I usually carve a jack-o'-lantern (keep it out at night with a real candle) and roast pumpkin seeds. The kids are sweet- haven't noticed any brats, maybe some older kids but we don't judge.

So it's not illegal to give out booze from your doorstep?

Masters Neophyte
    We had plenty of kids last night- must have been 70 or so... most were pretty cute. Plenty of neat costumes, although plenty of dumb ones too- mostly the older kids. I love the little tykes who are so shy they can't even squeak out "treat or treat" until prodded by their hover-parent. All of ours were very well mannered. Here it starts around 5:30 with the little ones and by the time we get to 8pm or so, it's mainly the older kids, many of whom appear bored.

That's just pathetic.
    BUT exactly what I'd expect from something sponsored by churches. I guess I should be happy they're not protesting pagan holidays. (Samhain rocks!)
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast