Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
  1. #1
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,486

    Any ~10' longboard deals out there?

    Since we live in Santa Cruz, I'm picking up surfing. My kids learned do it, now it's my turn. Just scored the 4/3 wetsuit at O'Neill's Memorial Day sale, now I'm looking for a longboard to learn on. I've been told 10 foot, 24" wide, 3" thick would be optimal for my size: 6'4" - 208lbs. Not very interested in a soft-top. Any surfers have a longboard they are looking to sell or a lead on affordably priced boards?

  2. #2
    Lemur-ing
    Reputation: uzziefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    19,422
    I wish I could surf. way to go dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

    Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

  3. #3
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,486
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    I wish I could surf.
    I hope I can surf!

  4. #4
    customusertitle.
    Reputation: ckelly49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    252
    check out craigslist for you area.
    'If I had a hammer...I'd hammer your face.'

  5. #5
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,486
    Quote Originally Posted by ckelly49
    check out craigslist for you area.
    BTDT - Some decent listings, a little pricey, or a little too crappy...

  6. #6
    Lemur-ing
    Reputation: uzziefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    19,422
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    I hope I can surf!
    I guess you'll find out then eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

    Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

  7. #7
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,486
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    I guess you'll find out then eh?
    Don't know if it's called surfing, but I got out today, on a borrowed Stewart hydrohull and paddled around at Pleasure Point. I tried to knee ride into one wave and stacked.

    At a local shop, there's an Pearson Arrow CJ, 10' 24" just under 3" thick with 3 fins. Modest spoon. About a season old, $450. A couple of small repairs, all done locally. All black. Any thoughts on that one?

  8. #8
    angel of the morning
    Reputation: Spirito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    I've been told 10 foot, 24" wide, 3" thick would be optimal for my size: 6'4" - 208lbs.
    that's a pretty big board, I'm not saying too big but i think you could get away with much smaller as you're in good shape, pretty active and i'm assuming reasonably co-ordinated. soft boards are great for learning on. i'd rent or buy a cheap one until you know what you like and learn on that. learning on a nice new board is bad news becuase they'll get beat up quick. a softie is much more forgiving and easier to handle when starting out. when newbies scoff at the advice i give them i remind them it's learning to surf not learning to pose. I still ride a short soft board in summer ... in the restricted swimmers area between the flags they are allowed so i get no hassle waves all day and use the people as chicanes to make it fun. sometimes the chicanes become speedbumps

    also, when you grow out fo the soft board it'll come in handy becuase you'll have other friends willing to learn and join you and i'm sure mrs. cooper will give it a go once you is da surf god. by then you'll know exactly what style of board you'll need

    and remember that when you starting 99% is paddling, just be mindful of staying out of the way of other surfers whilst you do your thing and always watch the water for a while before heading out to see what it's doing.

    good on ya ... we'll be surfing in the same water, your ripples could end up as my waves
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)




  9. #9
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirito
    that's a pretty big board, I'm not saying too big but i think you could get away with much smaller as you're in good shape, pretty active and i'm assuming reasonably co-ordinated. soft boards are great for learning on. i'd rent or buy a cheap one until you know what you like and learn on that. learning on a nice new board is bad news becuase they'll get beat up quick. a softie is much more forgiving and easier to handle when starting out. when newbies scoff at the advice i give them i remind them it's learning to surf not learning to pose. I still ride a short soft board in summer ... in the restricted swimmers area between the flags they are allowed so i get no hassle waves all day and use the people as chicanes to make it fun. sometimes the chicanes become speedbumps

    also, when you grow out fo the soft board it'll come in handy becuase you'll have other friends willing to learn and join you and i'm sure mrs. cooper will give it a go once you is da surf god. by then you'll know exactly what style of board you'll need

    and remember that when you starting 99% is paddling, just be mindful of staying out of the way of other surfers whilst you do your thing and always watch the water for a while before heading out to see what it's doing.

    good on ya ... we'll be surfing in the same water, your ripples could end up as my waves

    I'm finding that longboards that size are few and far between this time of year. It seems like everyone under the sun in Santa Cruz is looking for longboards now, the waves mellow big time as the days get longer. But it looks like another friend is into loaning a board, ~10 foot, with custom artwork - Jerry Garcia smoking a spliff... It's been put into sacrificial service as a newbie board for a couple of other riders in the past but still isn't waterlogged.

    Mrs. C bought a wetsuit as well, she's looking to learn too (sexy in neoprene if I may say), and both StepD and little Cooper have skills to teach us. Little Cooper took me out and showed me how to find the sweet spot on the board, and get the nose up high enough to paddle. Then he showed me how to watch the break to see if a wave was worth chasing. He's a great teacher.

    Thanks for your input, you were one of the folks I was hoping would chime in. You think that $450 Arrow is too nice a board to score? It's about 60% the cost of a new board, and that price isn't very dear.


    As for our ripples being your waves - be careful, I took my first pee in my wetsuit this afternoon.

  10. #10
    angel of the morning
    Reputation: Spirito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,007
    doesn't matter what you learn on, as long as it floats you. I just know that if you get hooked your gonna get board lust so whatever you riding will probably be short term. for that reason I say get something cheap and you'll add to it's character.

    all I know are the local boards made here so i'm not familiar with an Arrow ?

    you don't need anything fancy, something wide, fairly thick and around 8 foot i'd say is enough. longer better than short. we get good swell here so i'm not sure what suits your local conditions but I'd wait for either atp or svend to chime in.

    my advice is just buy something cheap. just to get you up and started and by that time you'll have a much better idea of whats for you. anyway, surfboards are cheap already if'n you ask me.

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    I'm finding that longboards that size are few and far between this time of year. It seems like everyone under the sun in Santa Cruz is looking for longboards now, the waves mellow big time as the days get longer. But it looks like another friend is into loaning a board, ~10 foot, with custom artwork - Jerry Garcia smoking a spliff... It's been put into sacrificial service as a newbie board for a couple of other riders in the past but still isn't waterlogged.

    Mrs. C bought a wetsuit as well, she's looking to learn too (sexy in neoprene if I may say), and both StepD and little Cooper have skills to teach us. Little Cooper took me out and showed me how to find the sweet spot on the board, and get the nose up high enough to paddle. Then he showed me how to watch the break to see if a wave was worth chasing. He's a great teacher.

    Thanks for your input, you were one of the folks I was hoping would chime in. You think that $450 Arrow is too nice a board to score? It's about 60% the cost of a new board, and that price isn't very dear.


    As for our ripples being your waves - be careful, I took my first pee in my wetsuit this afternoon.
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)




  11. #11
    Lemur-ing
    Reputation: uzziefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    19,422
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    Don't know if it's called surfing, but I got out today, on a borrowed Stewart hydrohull and paddled around at Pleasure Point. I tried to knee ride into one wave and stacked.

    At a local shop, there's an Pearson Arrow CJ, 10' 24" just under 3" thick with 3 fins. Modest spoon. About a season old, $450. A couple of small repairs, all done locally. All black. Any thoughts on that one?
    At least you went out
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

    Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

  12. #12
    Genitive Declensioner
    Reputation: svend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12,167
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    I'm finding that longboards that size are few and far between this time of year. It seems like everyone under the sun in Santa Cruz is looking for longboards now, the waves mellow big time as the days get longer. But it looks like another friend is into loaning a board, ~10 foot, with custom artwork - Jerry Garcia smoking a spliff... It's been put into sacrificial service as a newbie board for a couple of other riders in the past but still isn't waterlogged.

    Thanks for your input, you were one of the folks I was hoping would chime in. You think that $450 Arrow is too nice a board to score? It's about 60% the cost of a new board, and that price isn't very dear.
    :
    Arrow is a good deal if in good shape but I wouldn't go for a 10 footer, stick with a 9 footer up to 9'6" on the long end....black can be problematic as well......will check around down
    here
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

  13. #13
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,486
    Quote Originally Posted by svend
    Arrow is a good deal if in good shape but I wouldn't go for a 10 footer, stick with a 9 footer up to 9'6" on the long end....black can be problematic as well......will check around down
    here
    At my weight, what thickness in 9'6" would you think to be right? We were given a Stewart Hydrohull in that length, under 3" thick; it's ~ 15 years old, but dry and easy to paddle. I played around on it yesterday and had a fine time, but was advised that a longboard should float at the waterline when laying on it. What're the issues related to a black board? The 10' Arrow board I was checking out has two small repair spots, some dimpling, and few dings on the rails.

  14. #14
    angel of the morning
    Reputation: Spirito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    What're the issues related to a black board?
    when in the sun they tend to heat up which means they can delaminate and bubble. short lifespan from what I know. I was advised against a dark paint from my last board maker. ATP will know better.
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)




  15. #15
    Sharp
    Reputation: orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirito
    when in the sun they tend to heat up which means they can delaminate and bubble. short lifespan from what I know. I was advised against a dark paint from my last board maker. ATP will know better.
    ..that was my experience with my knee board (soft board - not fibreglass). I lent it to a friend who left it in his car bottom side up i.e black side up ..... the summer heat in the car caused a subsequent giant bubble on the surface....

  16. #16
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,486
    I went to a couple of shops in town today asking about black, and heard the same cautions as above and the same advice about length as svend shared. 9'6".

  17. #17
    angel of the morning
    Reputation: Spirito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by orbit
    ..that was my experience with my knee board ...
    top secret pic of orbit ... prior to her current mangled, bruised and slow shuffling state
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)




  18. #18
    A Canadian in Sweden
    Reputation: wayneanneli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirito
    top secret pic of orbit ... prior to her current mangled, bruised and slow shuffling state
    I had no idea that Aussie women were so hot. And here I thought that only Swedes were the hottest
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

  19. #19
    Genitive Declensioner
    Reputation: svend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12,167
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    I went to a couple of shops in town today asking about black, and heard the same cautions as above and the same advice about length as svend shared. 9'6".
    atp had a 9'6" single fin with a wood block tail that I rode for a year....I pwnd all on that board.....my own personal self would never own anything but a single fin longboard, a bit a a throwback when it comes to longboards. That said, I had sweet 8'6" tri-fin custom shaped my wife just before the kiddo.
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

  20. #20
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,486
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    At my weight, what thickness in 9'6" would you think to be right? We were given a Stewart Hydrohull in that length, under 3" thick; it's ~ 15 years old, but dry and easy to paddle. I played around on it yesterday and had a fine time, but was advised that a longboard should float at the waterline when laying on it. What're the issues related to a black board? The 10' Arrow board I was checking out has two small repair spots, some dimpling, and few dings on the rails.
    Correction on our freebie Stewart - it's 9'0", 2 5/8" thick. It's got a FCS thruster set-up, with the side fins glued in.

  21. #21
    Genitive Declensioner
    Reputation: svend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12,167
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    Correction on our freebie Stewart - it's 9'0", 2 5/8" thick. It's got a FCS thruster set-up, with the side fins glued in.
    at that length x thickness plus the FCS setup seems to be more of a high peformance longboard but impossible to tell for sure w/o seeing....

    2 important items:

    you mentioned easy to paddle, that for a beginner is key, do you get a good glide?

    easy to get up on, a more nebulous concept but important for noobs
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

  22. #22
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,486
    Quote Originally Posted by svend
    at that length x thickness plus the FCS setup seems to be more of a high peformance longboard but impossible to tell for sure w/o seeing....

    2 important items:

    you mentioned easy to paddle, that for a beginner is key, do you get a good glide?

    easy to get up on, a more nebulous concept but important for noobs
    It was set-up by one of my clients as his performance longboard, but it ended up being too thin or short for his needs. He's 6'4" but around 230. I don't think it glided very well for me, water came up over the edges when I paddled.

    Just found another interesting choice. A three year old 9'6", 23" wide, 3 3/8" single fin Arrow, shaped by Bob Pearson. $350. Needs a small 2" strip of glass on the bottom replaced where it looks like it cracked and delaminated from an edge hit (the crack is right where the flat meets the edge's curve). The board is still nice and white, no water or deterioration, it was put away after the smack and crack. Comes with the fin and leash.

    I've done plenty of bodywork with glass, bondo and metal, so I've no fear of cutting out the cracked section, and feathering a patch. I got a rundown on the repair from the shop - easy peasy. It looks like a couple of hours work in the driveway at best. $350 sound good?


    Oh yeah - one other board came up at Haute's shop. A John Shultz Ocean Beach SF board; 9'8" 22 3/4" 3" three stringer single fin. $450 with fin and leash. A couple of pro looking repairs here and there, but excellent otherwise. Ready to go.
    Last edited by thinkcooper; 05-29-2007 at 12:35 PM.

  23. #23
    I drank what?
    Reputation: j__h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,255
    I prefer to use an old garage door.
    q_and_a - "I don't really have an appropriate response for this situation" so you'll have to wait 30 seconds for a reply

  24. #24
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    42,674

    yeah no 10 footer

    and no black. granted it ain't very sunny in SC but A it will suck heat and at a minimum make it hard to keep it waxed.
    9'6" 22.75-23" wide by about 2.75-3" thick
    buy used
    try a single if you can find it

    wait til you can surf before installing flamethrower

    and yes I miss that board, it ruled. 1/4 mile plus 10 toed noseride from the outside peak at Swamis past the lifeguard tower on a day that was 4' overhead

    1 mind, 1 fin (on longboards)
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  25. #25
    Genitive Declensioner
    Reputation: svend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12,167
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    Just found another interesting choice. A three year old 9'6", 23" wide, 3 3/8" single fin Arrow, shaped by Bob Pearson. $350. Needs a small 2" strip of glass on the bottom replaced where it looks like it cracked and delaminated from an edge hit (the crack is right where the flat meets the edge's curve). The board is still nice and white, no water or deterioration, it was put away after the smack and crack. Comes with the fin and leash.

    I've done plenty of bodywork with glass, bondo and metal, so I've no fear of cutting out the cracked section, and feathering a patch. I got a rundown on the repair from the shop - easy peasy. It looks like a couple of hours work in the driveway at best. $350 sound good?


    Oh yeah - one other board came up at Haute's shop. A John Shultz Ocean Beach SF board; 9'8" 22 3/4" 3" three stringer single fin. $450 with fin and leash. A couple of pro looking repairs here and there, but excellent otherwise. Ready to go.
    both of those sound good: so I ask,which one speaks to you....kinda strange perhaps but when you hold them and when you stand back and eye the curves, which one beckons.....in 31 years of riding the waves there are only a handful of boards I've ridden that failed that test....my gut says the Pearson but I've ridden those and so am biased
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook