Burning Fists of Love

any Edison Phonograph owners here?

All- Do we have any Edison Phonograph owners here? I have a full cabinet model and want to know if any of you folks know what its worth? I used to attach pick ups to the bell and record the records. Well, all the records are recorded, so what say yee?
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

Rep *****.
    Cylinders or are you one of those hipsters using the new platters?

Burning Fists of Love

no cylinders

Quote Originally Posted by firstrax
    Cylinders or are you one of those hipsters using the new platters?
    No its a true record player, I am getting the model number now, its a cabinet style I am guessing from the 1920's. Sort of large actually. The thing worked untl the main springf seized on the inside a few years ago.
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

vexatious enigma
    They can be worth a bit if you find a die hard collector. My understanding is that finding a collector for those things is harder than finding the player or cylinders. The things were mass produced so they are everywhere but since you can't really play them they are essentially things you stuff into the closet and look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    My father has a Victrola (with Edison guts), that belonged to my grandmother; it is still fully functional (even has the manual.) He ripped out the lower cabinetry, where the records were stored, and put shelves in there, and now uses it for his "modern" sound system.

My understanding (you could check the e-bayz) is that vintage Victrolas run around $400 or so, but I haven't checked for a long time. As with most collectibles, condition is everything, as is scarcity, and there were about eight million or so of those made in the early part of the Twentieth century. RCA made one model in a very Roccoco style cabinet; these are rarer than hen's teeth, though.

30 mpdb
    Am I the only one that thought video cameras weren't around when Thomas Edison was in his prime?

vexatious enigma
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    Am I the only one that thought video cameras weren't around when Thomas Edison was in his prime?
    Supposedly, he invented them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

Low rep power
    I snagged a Victrola at an estate sale 20 years or so, after getting stiffed by the family as a kid when my great grandmother died. For some reason, they just couldn't see why a 10-year-old really needed one

Mine's one of the "portables"- the upper part with the guts comes off, leaving a lower cabinet that holds the records (200 or so!).

Still plays well!
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln