S2H
    wut?

Any of you asshats own a Nite Rider Mako 2?

My headlight has a 20 lb Nimh battery that is like six years old. Instead of buying a new, heavy battery, I was thinking of getting a new, cordless LED light.

Anyone have that Nite Rider Mako 2? Supposedly it will light up a dark trail, but I don't believe it for $50.

Failboat Captian
    Doesn't eMpTyBeeR have any reviews of it? I wouldn't believe that either. Get a MagicShine and deal with the battery.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

S2H
    wut?
    I wonder if my Nimh battery will even hold a charge. It's gotta be five years old at least.

Master debator.
    Sorry the minimum I'd buy is the Niterider Minewt 250. Anything with a cord and a separate battery sux sorry.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I don't own a Mako 2, but we do have one at the shop. In testing, it is pretty bright with a lot of throw, but it has a VERY narrow beam with no spill. Haven't ridden with it though.

Here is the review at MTBR.
    Niterider Mako 2 – 2012 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

2012 Bike Lights Shootout – Trail Beam Pattern Photos | Mountain Bike Review | Page 2

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004
    After multiple battery and reliability issues (engine fails, connector frays, etc.) on NR systems of all sorts (BoyToy's spendy enduro racing setup crapped out with a bad engine just post warranty last fall) my only contribution is that I will never buy a NightRider anything ever again.

BoyToy and I both bike commute 365 days and do night MTB trail riding and enduro races. For your money I'd try something like Magicshine, Light in Motion, or DiNotte instead. DiNotte makes some powerful engines these days, their customer service is superb, and their reliability is excellent. Their lumens-to-$ value ratio is way better than most. We get LiM at cost through our shop sponsor so BoyToy got a Seca to replace the dead NR, however if we had to pay full retail we'd go with DiNotte no questions asked.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR