pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Anybody ever try selling bike stuff on Craigs List?

I've got seven sets of road wheels in my basement. They're all 8/9/10 speed and everything me and my wife own is now 11-speed. I never use any of them. I'm getting ready to remodel the basement and need to get rid of them. I figure ebay is a pain since I'll have to monkey with shipping. So why not Craigs List? Here's what I have -- are these prices reasonable? i just want to get rid of this stuff

Original Mavic Ksyriums with tires and 9-speed cassette -- $100
    Spinergy Spox -- $75
    Nuevation R28 with tires and cassette -- $100
    Nuevation R28 brand new -- $100
    Daves Speed Dream (custom set - American Classic hubs, cxray spokes, rims?) with tires and cassette -- $100
    Classic 32 DT spoke, Mavic Open 4CD, Ultegra hubs -- $50
    Classic 32 DT spoke, Mavic Open 4CD, Ultegra hubs a little nicer -- $75

They're all true and the ones with tires have Continental Grand Prix folding tires that have plenty of life left in them. The Ksyriums and Dave's sell pretty quick, but here's the painful aspect I've found with Craigs List shoppers:

1. Everyone will first ask 'what's your best price', or will you take $50 for them? I thought I posted my best price. Should have I added $25 to each in anticipation of this?
    2. I must have got 5 people saying I'll take the Ksyriums the first day I posted. None of them followed through. I had several who said they'd be right over and never showed. Finally some guy showed up and I said OK to $75.
    3. Annoying stuff -- I get an email from some guy asking if I have the spoke wrenches that came with the Spox. I dig through 3 tool boxes and actually find them after 20 minutes (they were, of course, in the third box I looked in). I email the guy back 'yes, I have the spoke wrenches'. Never hear back from him again. WTF is up with that? If I said no would he have said 'I'll take them -- I have some Spox spoke wrenches in search of wheels'?
    4. I've been going back and forth with some guy about the $50 set. Yes, they're true. Yes, the hubs spin. Jaysus Christ, it's a $50 set of used wheels. Most people spend more than that on a set of tires.

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to load the five sets I have left into my van and haul them to the dump. It's just not worth the hassle.

Someone told me that 'Let Go' has a better group of shoppers. Anyone use that? I'd like to see someone get some use out of these wheels. I really don't care all that much about the money. But dealing with these people is pretty annoying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I have. We live in a big city and our CL is very active. It was always just stuff I wanted to get rid of, so I priced it pretty low. If you try to get good money out of stuff, be prepared for a lot of lookers and people trying to negotiate. That can get annoying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No. I don't want the types of people buying stuff on CL in my house.

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Well I'll consider myself uninvited. I have probably picked up a 1/3 or more of the materials used in our gut reno off Craigslist... and I like to think that I clean up pretty well, and generally don't spit indoors or pee in the bathtub.

For the OP--

Craigslist can be a PITA for buyer and seller. Many's the time I have regretted listing stuff for reasons similar to yours. OTOH, I have dumped stuff that I needed to get rid of (old usable appliances when remodeling, pair of tires from a previous car, etc.) Never bike stuff though.

My standard response is--'come and see them, and then give me your best offer'--to cut off the BS "negotiation".

Those prices seem fair IMO.

If you are truly finding it this bad, you could see if there is a bicycle co-op in your area and donate them--heck, even Goodwill might take them (I have a pair of wheels I picked up there).

Bike swap?
    Or eBay--get wheel boxes from a local bike shop--not to hard to do, and ship Fedex SmartPost or BikeFlights.
    Last edited by paredown; 05-09-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

hello
    I've sold a ton of bike stuff on CL. Made arrangements to either meet at my house, place of work, or at some public location. Never had a problem.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I'm getting to the point where I'm going to load the five sets I have left into my van and haul them to the dump. It's just not worth the hassle.
    that's ridiculous. don't you have a bike co-op nearby in which to donate?

i'm lucky, i guess. i live in a bike friendly city where it's super easy to buy and sell on craigs.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    There's a simple solution to that.
    Meet at a parking lot somewhere.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    that's ridiculous. don't you have a bike co-op nearby in which to donate?

i'm lucky, i guess. i live in a bike friendly city where it's super easy to buy and sell on craigs.
    I'm in the DC metro area. There's millions of people here. I figured with the warm weather and what I thought were pretty reasonable prices compared to other wheels I saw on CL, they'd sell fast. Bike coop? Not that I know of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    yes, in Boston, a set of wheels for $100. I'd say they were worth $250 so it was pretty obvious I was just looking to move them.

I'd guess the responses were about like this:

5 from people offering next to nothing and/or just being complete tools in some way.
    5 people with no clue about compatibility, like hipsters asking if these 10 speed wheels could be used on their fixed gear, but nice well intentioned people.
    1 guy who simply said "I'll buy them", we met the next day, he handed me cash and that was it. He was a bike mechanic setting up a bike for a friend and a really nice guy.

I once sold a watch on CL. The guy who ended up buying it was a cool guy but apparently A LOT of real jerks shop for watches on CL.
    That was kind of funny. A few guys tried to get me to lower the price by a laughable amount and used borderline stalking behavior. Then they freaked out when I told 'em it was sold as if their playing games meant I shouldn't have sold to someone else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I buy and sell quite a bit of bike stuff on CL, and get what I think is a fair price and buy things for very reasonable. If someone low balls me, I just politely say nope, not willing to go that low and move on - not big deal to me, its a few key strokes. We also have a FB page for the city that has stuff for sale, although I find CL sells things quicker. If priced right, I haven't had anything last more than a couple weeks that I can remember.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I'm in the DC metro area. There's millions of people here. I figured with the warm weather and what I thought were pretty reasonable prices compared to other wheels I saw on CL, they'd sell fast. Bike coop? Not that I know of.
    How about here?

https://wamu.org/story/15/12/15/how_...ind_their_way/

We have a similar place in our town called DreamBikes. I think they started from Trek and now have 5 or 6 locations. The proceeds from their sales go to pay inner city kids working at the shop and learning wrenching.

a real member's member
    Bike coop? Not that I know of.
    looks like there are a few in dc. just google it.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    probably not worth the hassle unless you have something really desirable or extremely cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No way would I get all the way out to a nearby shopping center to sell a $50 pair of wheels.

Craigslist just is what it is. It is surprising to have so many goofballs with something that is fairly specialized - anyone and everyone might be looking for a dining table, or used car, but only cyclists are looking for road wheels - right?

I find that there simply is something different in the tenor of an exchange when you have someone legitimately interested. They will work with you.

So, you just have to tolerate the goofballs.

Here is a great craigslist story - my son decided to join "strings," by deciding to play cello, in 5th grade. I could lease, but figured I would save in the long run if I could only buy a good cello, used. I searched craigslist, and earnestly communicated with another dad whose kid was moving from 1/2 size to 3/4 size. He basically told me my thought processes, and said no pressure, ask what you want, and look it over well. I bought - good deal, good price. --FFW 2 years - he texts me back, out of the blue, asking if I might be interested in a good 3/4 size cello - I say sure - my kid has grown, which he figured, and was now in 3/4 size range - on top of that - his younger kid was about to start cello - so, he and I ended up doing a straight up swap, with a bit of quality edge to me, but better case for him. Saved me a lot of time shopping and hassling with sellers. Of course, by this point, my son and I actually know how to look over a cello.

When I am a buyer, I tell the seller how interested I am - I let them know I am not a goofball. For smaller things, if the person seems trustworthy enough, I have offered to pay by paypal, and ask them to simply mail the item, so I don't have to travel. I might ask that they pay the shipping, or I calculate, and throw a few extra dollars on the listed price to cover shipping.

I just bought a set of 4 good microphones that way, and have done that with a good tascam audio recorder.

a real member's member
    ^ nice cello story.

i've mailed hundreds of dollars worth of bike stuff to my craigslist peeps all over the country and once to canada. it makes me feel good when complete strangers trust each other like this.
    Last edited by blackfrancois; 05-22-2018 at 11:34 AM.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I've bought and sold a few odd bike components on Craigslist. It seems like the heyday of CL is over, at least around here. It was absolutely hopping between 2006 and 2008, right at the crack of the recession, when anyone who was everyone was trying to make a few extra bucks here or there. It's definitely tapered off though...
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Boobies!
    ^ nice cello story.

i've mailed hundreds of dollars worth of bike stuff to my craigslist peeps all over the country and once to canada. it makes me feel good when complete strangers tust each other like this.
    My Elite/Feedback Sports bike stand was purchased off Craigslist--in Denver. Emailed back and forth, and then paid for stand plus shipping.

I'm with you--I like the idea of trust being extensible like that.
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Well, I sold three sets: Ksyriums, Speed Dreams and the cheap classic 32-spoke Mavic/Ultegra set. I might try to sell the Spox on ebay -- I've got a set of wheel boxes to ship them in, and would be happy to get $75 for them. Spinergy is big in the business of selling wheels for wheel chairs these days. Seems that they've all but gone out of the bicycle wheel market.

And I am still dealing with a guy who is almost a parody of a CraigsList customer. He emailed me asking if I'd take $75 for them. I said OK. A week later he says he wants them and can come out. Never shows. On Sunday he did it again, and didn't show. I was busy working in the yard that day, so no big deal. Next time he emails me, I'm seriously considering asking $85 for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here in Michigan we have a FB page "Michigan Bicycle Classifieds". It has 12K members and you have to be approved to join the group. Works really well with tons of transactions.

I wont do Craigslist. FB or Ebay only.

RoadBikeReview Member
    eBay only for me. Every few years I batch up a bunch of bike stuff and sell it off. Wheels are a pain, though. Sometimes I just donate to a nonprofit bike shop.

a real member's member
    A week later he says he wants them and can come out. Never shows. On Sunday he did it again, and didn't show. I was busy working in the yard that day, so no big deal. Next time he emails me, I'm seriously considering asking $85 for them.
    i would never entertain another meeting. it's a "one and done." if you're a no-show, you have to paypal me $20 unrefundable for me to even consider meeting you again. it happened to me recently where he cancelled at the last minute after i had already left the house. i sold the item for more a couple days later to a nice guy that bought several items from me.

one of my riding buddies is a former customer. he showed up on an '84 davidson. we immediately had a lot in common.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Craigslist CAN be a good place to sell things, provided you are willing to wait. I sold by dad's old 1920's vintage saxophone through CL, but not to just anybody. I finally had an offer from a music graduate student from the Eastman school, who I knew would keep in and cherish it. I had a LOT of low-ballers who wanted to give it to their middle-school kids (a 90 year old instrument?), but having once been a middle-school band member, I wasn't willing to do that.

I once also had a really heavy old 32' aluminum ladder that was just too heavy and too long for me to use anymore. I put a CL list for a swap with a 24' ladder (plus some cash). After numerous laughable offers, I finally got a contractor who was willing to swap, plus $50. Took me 5 months, though...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    i would never entertain another meeting. it's a "one and done." if you're a no-show, you have to paypal me $20 unrefundable for me to even consider meeting you again. it happened to me recently where he cancelled at the last minute after i had already left the house. i sold the item for more a couple days later to a nice guy that bought several items from me.

one of my riding buddies is a former customer. he showed up on an '84 davidson. we immediately had a lot in common.
    He just emailed me back asking if Friday afternoon is a good time to come by. I just ignored it. You have to wonder how some people make it through life. I used to be a supervisor, and it always amazed me how simple things, like showing up on time for work, was so hard for some people to manage.