Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    take on me

Anyone see 'Alien: Covenant'?

I haven't yet, 'cuz my trailer 'Spidey sense' is telling me it's not gonna be any better than Prometheus.

Hope I'm wrong about that.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Master debator.
    It was worse. Prometheus could have been built upon and improved, the sci-fi aspect enhanced and all of the obligatory useless killing avoided, instead they went the other route. I would say see on the big screen just because you will eventually see it anyway, space-based movies are always enhanced by the big scree imho.

2 out of 5, you'll say 3 if you liked more killing and less thinking.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I couldn't wait for Prometheus 2, I guess I am still going to have to wait.

I read the synopsis, I can't figure out on the whole timeline where this one lands. It sounds like it is a remake of the original Aliens landing on the planet with the ship wreck.

What is going on?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Saw Prometheus yesterday and Alien Covenant today. Both great. The Alien franchise can go on forever.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post

I read the synopsis, I can't figure out on the whole timeline where this one lands. It sounds like it is a remake of the original Aliens landing on the planet with the ship wreck.

What is going on?
    It is Prometheus 2, plain and simple, 10 years later.

I thought it made some sense of the daft things that happened in Prometheus, well a couple. It was also "better" than Prometheus, in so much as Prometheus start well and then was completely crap,this was just average crap

But it does follow (apart from original Alien) the futures companies in the franchise for hiring numpties... we're spending trillions on this epic adventure, so... lets save some bucks by crewing the ship with the least professional crew we can possibly find, as that will lead to mission success.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    I liked it. I liked Prometheus also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    10 years later? That doesn't mean much when your traveling at light speed. Time is relative. None of my questions are answered.
    BANNED

take on me

What is going on?
    I obviously haven't seen it (maybe I will later), but I believe that it takes place in the time between Prometheus and the original Alien.

So, not a re-make or re-boot, I think, just another prequel. Could be wrong.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I obviously haven't seen it (maybe I will later), but I believe that it takes place in the time between Prometheus and the original Alien.

So, not a re-make or re-boot, I think, just another prequel. Could be wrong.
    yeah that's how it's seems to meant to play out... although, now how the original is supposed to happen play out, no idea...
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    10 years later? That doesn't mean much when your traveling at light speed. Time is relative. None of my questions are answered.
    Well do you want spoilers...? But it's 10 years later for the guys that got through to the end of Prometheus alive...not for the guys on the Covenant ship...
    All the gear and no idea

Misfit Toy
    And from what I've read, seeing Prometheus is necessary to understand what is going on.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is supposed to be another movie after this called Alien: Awakening. That will supposedly connect Covenant to the original Alien movie, at least time-wise. There are a few videos on YouTube that attempt to explain the chronological sequence of the the whole set of movies, but don't go there if you haven't seen Alien Covenant yet.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    And from what I've read, seeing Prometheus is necessary to understand what is going on.
    Yah, I would think.

Hi Snap! Long time no see. Everything cool in SnapLand™?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    There is supposed to be another movie after this called Alien: Awakening. That will supposedly connect Covenant to the original Alien movie, at least time-wise. There are a few videos on YouTube that attempt to explain the chronological sequence of the the whole set of movies, but don't go there if you haven't seen Alien Covenant yet.
    Yep I can seehow they are trying to make this happen except...maybe spoilers ahead...don't read

supposedly the crashed ship on lv426 had been there for a loooong time so can't have happened...unless it wasn't... but then they have to find an engineer (suppsoedly all wiped out) and a ship...and fill it full of alien eggs.

Unless i guess there are a bunch of engineers left somewhere, they track down robot man and his pile of colonist and in an attempt to caontain the whole thing, put them on a ship, ship crashes on lv426...

O look I wrote alien: next movie
    All the gear and no idea

take on me
    Sigh. I know I'm gonna see it, and I know I'm not gonna like it.

But, I'll give props to Ridley Scott anyway... he may be getting a tad bit hacky in his old age, but you can't change the fact that he's still churning out credible blockbusters while pushing 80.

I hope I'm as active and as sharp as he is at that age. Or even alive.

And hey, The Martian was pretty good. And he did that at 77.

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post

I thought it made some sense of the daft things that happened in Prometheus, well a couple. It was also "better" than Prometheus, in so much as Prometheus start well and then was completely crap,this was just average crap

But it does follow (apart from original Alien) the futures companies in the franchise for hiring numpties... we're spending trillions on this epic adventure, so... lets save some bucks by crewing the ship with the least professional crew we can possibly find, as that will lead to mission success.
    Exactly. The worst part was the characters. I would venture to guess that if such a mission were attempted only the best and brightest would be sent. The decisions made by the crew are just so unbelievable it weakens any credibility. As in the other movies in the series, you don't need to be a scientist to think "hey let's NOT bring a crew member infected on an alien world back into the ship right away, and risk everyone else" but of course they do just that.

I think fans of the series will like the similar methods of death imparted upon the crew as in the original, and the attempt to dispose of the alien, however matching Sigourney Weaver's performance with that blowgun will never be equaled imho.

Edit: I actually like Prometheus and found it more entertaining...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, I'm in... wonder why no 3d.
    BANNED

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Exactly. The worst part was the characters. I would venture to guess that if such a mission were attempted only the best and brightest would be sent. The decisions made by the crew are just so unbelievable it weakens any credibility.

As in the other movies in the series, you don't need to be a scientist to think "hey let's NOT bring a crew member infected on an alien world back into the ship right away, and risk everyone else" but of course they do just that.
    LOL. It does seem to be the central problem of the Alien movies, at least the Ridley Scott ones.

Though in Alien (the first one), that was actually dealt with almost credibly... Sigourney Weaver was like, "Oh hell no, Kaine's not getting back on board", and Ash wound up just letting him in... because, as we later find out, he's under orders to, and the crew is 'expendable' (muhahaa). The only dumb part of the scene is Captain Dallas, who should definitely know better, yelling at Weaver to ignore protocol and let them in.

In Prometheus, yah, the scientists wind up just looking like total and complete idiots all the way through the movie. Apparently, there were a great many deleted scenes that explained their motivations and actually made them look about 80% less idiotic... but all that wound up on the cutting room floor. Maybe some of that stuff is on the DVD...

For Alien: Covenant, again, haven't seen it yet, but I have seen the trailer where 'Tennessee' is marvelling about how he gets to fly a trillion-dollar spaceship even though he has a history of run-ins with the law and is pretty obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.

In that vein, what I think would be pretty cool is if they had a scene in Covenant where everyone's just sitting around the table, shootin' the bull, and talking about their backgrounds... and, comparing notes, it turns out that they're all pretty obviously 'B-Team' players. No one 'got lucky' and slipped in through the screening process.

Which puzzles them. If so, why would they be entrusted with such a big, important, expensive mission? Until they find out that they're all pretty much intentional cannon fodder... the 'company' didn't want to risk sending its best and brightest, so they intentionally assembled a team of 'expendables', and sent them in instead.

It's even better than sending in robot probes, 'cuz then you can see what happens when humans get infested by these new-fangled alien terrors Weyland-Yutani is just now becoming aware of. Muhahaha.

Don't know if that's even remotely how the movie goes (it almost certainly isn't), but it'd be a darkly funny 'uh oh, we're screwed' moment, IMO. And it would explain a lot.

Last edited by SystemShock; 05-22-2017 at 06:01 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Alien I get, it's a time (but apparently only 20 years in the future form covenant) when taveling around space is routine and they are basically on a space oil rig, they are jsut there for a job.
    Aliens I get, cocky space marines, soon wise up when it goes to crap
    alien 3...well yeah
    alien 4...they are just all numpties
    prometheus is when it goes even more DH
    covanent...well they don't seem stupid on the outside, right up until they start making decisions, and they are all bad. OK there is a reason for the Capt to make the wrong call, but really the reason isn't good enough to make such a compeltely stoooopid call.

And we see from that trailer/into/prequel thingy, they are all couples on the flight crew, that is a bad, bad, bad decision.
    All the gear and no idea

Misfit Toy
    Everything is dandy!
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Everything is dandy!
    Good to hear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Meh. There are two ways to look at it.

A reasonably okay sci fi movie...

And a shitty movie that does the Aliens franchise no favors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    After Prometheus, there are 2 demographics this Alien franchise could have catered to. One is made up of idea lovers and the other is action lovers. They chose the latter and turned their back on the idea lovers. Despite the flawed parts, Prometheus stepped away from overused and worn out Xenomorph actions and pondered on a new idea (Where do we come from?) which was refreshing.

I guess I belong to the idea lover group because I didn't like Alien: Covenant.

What the Hell is going on
    Just saw it. Meh. As soon as Ridley Scott changed the story line to tackle BIG question stuff (HINT: the answer is "42" Mr. Scott. Now move along) instead of one of survival, this franchise has seriously run off the tracks. The movie is just over 2 hrs long but pacing is zippy yet uninspiring but painfully predictable.

The first sign the movie was going downhill was in the beginning when the Covenant's solar sail absorbed some sort of outer space anomaly that caused a fire in the bridge. Now why would there be oxygen in the bridge when Walter, the android caretaker, doesn't need it?

And the Engineers? They are portrayed as simpletons that haven't discovered fire yet.

Leave the heavy Sci-Fi thinking to Phillip K. Dick and Robert Heinlein.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, saw it.

That crew was too dumb to fly a ship, sorry, bubba is not up for the task. I think it could have worked if they could have not been a bunch of C-liners. Should have come up with some other stuff.

The only way out is really to have some engineers on some other world come in full on from some other direction. Otherwise, humans vs androids, which one is going to win, it is over.
    BANNED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast