We have met the enemy...

Anyone try U-Sand sanders for floors?

Since the Forum seems to be on something of a home improvement theme. I'll post up my conundrum.

I've been redoing our 1960s modern. There has been water damage all over the place. Now it's time to tackle the "great room" floors (LR/DR/Entrance). We can't afford to strip out and redo. First, I've got some boards to replace (I understand this, but have not actually done it.)

Second, the floor has had one or more serious sandings already so I can't take too much off before I start splintering the tongues. This alone makes me reluctant to use a drum sander.

I was looking at the U-Sand rental random orbital sanders at Homer's and wondered if anyone has tried them?

(I put finish on the four bedrooms with OK results--so once prepped I'm probably capable of getting a decent job....)
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

Climbs like a sprinter...
    It'll take a LOT longer with one of those - even with a course grit paper/screen. If there is water damage it will be relatively deep so you might be beating a dead horse. I think if you use the drum sander cautiously with a finer grit you should be ok. If you are basically doing a maintenance coat (on the undamaged areas) you might be able to get away with using the disc/edge sander on the damaged parts and then the U-Sand to smooth things out.

If the water damage is bad enough you're screwed anyway so you might end up using a dark stain/paste to hide the damage.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

Steaming piles of opinion
    I haven't used them. What I've heard is decent job, predictably trades speed for "safety" (no gouging), can go through sanding pads.

Pad usage may depend on how clever the user is. Some folks make the error of skipping some grades, thinking they save that way.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Frog Whisperer
    I have used the random orbs and far prefer them. You get a FLAT gouge free surface. Yes it takes longer....yes it is well worth the time
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......