Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ApacoEclipse

RoadBikeReview Member

ApacoEclipse

Would love to experience totality since I'm not working, but John can't get days off the week of the eclipse this year.

In any case, hotels are booked solid, as are Air B&Bs it seems.

Considering crashing at sister-in-law's house for a day or two, but even she's about 5hrs from totality- still might be worth the traffic afterward if I get up before dawn and drive that day. If she were closer, would be worth biking past all the cars.

What do you moreons have planned, if anything?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Go ahead. Hate me.

The path of 100% totality passes right over mi-casa. Thinking of doing a ride during it.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lucky you, Marc.

I plan to read about it and view many pictures online. The only one I know who lives anywhere near the path is my sister in Portland, Oregon - too far for me to travel for this (and she says she can't get off work that day).
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go ahead. Hate me.

The path of 100% totality passes right over mi-casa. Thinking of doing a ride during it.

Jerk!

If it were here, I'd love to ride to a nice viewing spot, have a picnic, wear a welder's helmet.

There's always 2024, but I might actually have found a job by then and don't want to worry about taking days off.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I'm just going to wait for the BIG one in 2024; it goes right over my house. BTW, I saw the big eclipse of, what was it, 1971? (You know, the one Carly Simon mentioned in "You're so vain").
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

half-fast
    We are going to travel to bottom of NC, near the edge of totality. Got a room about a month ago.

Plan is to check the weather and go in the most favorable direction.

Welder helmet isn't enough. Get glasses or strong enough glass. #14.

30 mpdb
    Friends are coming to town. We should get around 2:30 of totality. Hoping for clear skies on that Monday...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    My brothers lives in the path of totality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I'm about 50 miles from the dead center totality line. I've already planned a gravel ride in the mountains up the Cherohala Skyway, we'll watch the eclipse between 4,200 ft and 5,000 ft of elevation, depending on where we actually watch it. We'll be about 2 km from dead center, and we'll get 2 min 38 seconds of total darkness. (We'll lose less than one second of total darkness from being at absolute dead center) I will be taking panniers to take plenty of beer and room for, *ahem*, other things. I takes over an hour to get dark from when the eclipse starts, so it'll still be very cool outside for a period of time before and after the total eclipse.

Small town hotels on I-75 between Knoxville and Chattanooga have been booked for months. Knoxville has already announced that schools will be closed that day. I've been really stoked for this for a while now.

Weather is the big factor on how spectacular it will be. If it's totally crappy weather, I'm still driving to the Cherohala cause it's still gonna get dark. For 2 min 38 sec.

I think there's a thread titled 'August 21' in the General Forum about this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Lucky you, Marc.

I plan to read about it and view many pictures online. The only one I know who lives anywhere near the path is my sister in Portland, Oregon - too far for me to travel for this (and she says she can't get off work that day).
    Here's a good read on an eclipse:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-solar-eclipse

RoadBikeReview Member
    I checked for RVs in this area- first glance showed "sold out."

My own fault for not taking this more seriously sooner. Nobody else I know is the least bit interested

Maybe rent a commuter bike? Would have to start riding.........about now..............

Banned forever.....or not
    I'm only getting 85% totality, so I'll probably squint after putting sunblock on my eyeballs.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Russian Troll Farmer
    I suspect that whoever planned this eclipse got a good kickback from the city of Knoxville.....still, you think they could've scheduled it at a better time........
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    My plan is/was to drive 3 hours to Driggs, ID to be in the totality but I may decide against it.

Between work travel and additional weekend plans it's looking like more running around than I care to do. And that sucks because I was REALLY looking forward to it - even bought my eclipse glasses.

30 mpdb
    2024 & 2045 are the next solar eclipses in the US. Plan accordingly!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty View Post
    2024 & 2045 are the next solar eclipses in the US. Plan accordingly!
    I can reasonably expect to be alive in 2024, but 2045 probably not. That's actually quite depressing for me. It wasn't so long ago (or so it seems) that not much seemed beyond the point at which I would be alive.

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post
    I can reasonably expect to be alive in 2024, but 2045 probably not. That's actually quite depressing for me. It wasn't so long ago (or so it seems) that not much seemed beyond the point at which I would be alive.
    Judging by my parents and grandparents, I'll probably be alive in 2045.

I'll be 80 y.o. !

All 4 of my grandparents died within a year or two of their 90th birthday.

All 4 of my grandparents smoked like a chimney .

And 2 of them drank like a fish.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I'm just going to wait for the BIG one in 2024.
    You have to wait another seven years to get a little over a minute more in totality time. Things can happen by then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Almost here and near-panic has almost set in with all of the traffic in town. I'm in the Path of Totality and at least ma nature looks like she'll let us view the sky so we still plan on having our A-taco-lypse party.

Funny thing is we had a "safety talk" at work last week where they gave us great nuggets of wisdom like "Don't look right at the sun without eclipse glasses" and this gem, "Don't drive with eclipse glasses on". Glad they told me.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Fake President
    Got my eclipse glasses, and I'm ready to rock.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

a real member's member
    i'm gonna see how long i can stare at it while listening to in-a-gadda-da-vida.

i kicked around a couple different tunes, but this one will sound best to the neighbors full blast. and it's 17 minutes long. if i can go the whole 17 minutes, that's gotta be some kinda record.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

What the what???
    Raining here currently and chances are slim it will clear up in time. We were expecting 90%. So, iíll probably be watching on TV.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    I drove into the industrial depths of Queens to procure some #14 welding glass the other day, they were almost sold out.

Weather is clear, sunny but hot. Not sure where I'll go, probably just bike to Fort Totten. Big tree in the backyard blocks the view a bit, otherwise I'd be happy with that.

John will have an incredible view from the roof of his work site, in Chelsea. I packed him some viewing glass and a black-and-white cookie, which seems appropriate.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Raining here currently and chances are slim it will clear up in time. We were expecting 90%. So, iíll probably be watching on TV.
    I was all geared up for a 96% experience and instead we have thunderstorms. Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

ďNationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder View Post
    I was all geared up for a 96% experience and instead we have thunderstorms. Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap.
    No kidding. We had a microburst T-storm saturday night...beautiful clear sky yesterday, and mostly cloudy today. Figures.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast