Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cranky Old Bastard

Art!!! or Art???

Some may have noticed my new avatar.

I will tell you later where I shot the pic.

So is this Art!!! Or Art???

Edit: And would you put this in your living room?

Attachment 282212
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 06-08-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Who needs a map?
    That depends on whether it's a real human leg and whether it's still attached.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    My general rule of thumb when it comes to art is if it's something that I could do then it's not art. Looks like somebody hacked off the lower leg of a mannequin at Abercrombie and Fitch and glued it to a box.

Cranky Old Bastard
    And another pic.

Attachment 282214
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Up and Atom View Post
    My general rule of thumb when it comes to art is if it's something that I could do then it's not art. Looks like somebody hacked off the lower leg of a mannequin at Abercrombie and Fitch and glued it to a box.
    But you have to take into consideration the frame of mind and intent of the... nope, can't do it. It really is just a mannequin leg on a box.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    I know what it is. It's a glory hole for someone with a foot fetish.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Clearly not a roadie and therefore somewhat inappropriate for this forum. Probably better suited for the hipster/fixie forum with that vaguely retro look.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Clearly not a roadie and therefore somewhat inappropriate for this forum. Probably better suited for the hipster/fixie forum with that vaguely retro look.
    I read that it is human hair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    One of the most interesting modern art installations I've ever seen was "Cloaca." Basically, a contraption the size of a bus that was "fed" at one end 2x/day (the menu was posted on a little sign), then digested in a series of tubes and glass vats (with placards indicating the acid at work).

And what happened at the other end? Yup, the machine "pooped" onto a conveyor belt.

When I told my friend in NC about this (she has 2 kids, dogs, cats, and at the time, goats), she scoffed, "I don't need to PAY to see an eating/pooping machine!" I totally walked into the role of "city mouse" that time!!

Cranky Old Bastard
    I'm laughing my butt off right now.

I just edited the OP to ask if you would put this in your living room. I'm laughing because if it were in my living room I'd trip over it every time I had a couple of drinks.
    I wonder if that is what the "artist" intended?

half-fast
    Art is whatever the creator says it is.

We went into the big city a while back to see an exhibit called "The tool at hand", which was supposed to showcase things which artist/artisans/crafters/whatever had developed with one tool.

I was largely disappointed, because there were a fairly low percentage of items that truly qualified, and of those that did, only one was particularly interesting, refiined, and engaging.

This particular work was accompanied by a video presentation featuring the creator stacking firewood in spirals as a summer art project.

This made me wish I was a trust fund kid so that I could follow whatever whim I had.

Art is whatever the artist says it is.

I wouldn't buy your leg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why would I purchase a hairy leg?? I got TWO of those propped up on the coffee table at any given time when John is home

I get that art is supposed to be provocative, but I find it odd that artists would spend so much time and energy creating stuff that nobody would buy.

Guess it's like fashion designers: In order to sell the regular stuff, they have to get attention with the over-the-top creative stuff first.

Ricardo Cabeza
    I could shake that at the damn kids on my lawn
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

We have met the enemy...
    Two things come to mine--first, a half remembered quote from the one of the brothers Grimm (of fairytale fame), roughly 'the art of this age substitutes the new and the interesting for the beautiful and true.'

The second is a story told a friend about me why he dropped out of art school. He'd procrastinated and not started his graduating project until a couple of days before it was due, when he was seized by inspiration and collected up a bunch of abandoned grocery carts, that he proceeded to spray paint white and stack in a random pile in the middle of his squat.

He then took out all the light bulbs and put in one 25w blue bulb over the stack, and called the piece 'Negative space' (or something equally pretentious), invited the profs over and got one of the highest marks in his class. As he said afterwards, 'even I knew it was bogus.'
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    As he said afterwards, even I knew it was bogus.'
    When I first saw the leg piece I thought WTF?? But then I laughed.

Laughter is an emotion and isn't art supposed to bring about an emotional response?
    So my vote is that the leg is Art!

IMO artists can call what they make "art" but it is time and popular opinion that determine which pieces are truly deserving of that label.

Pencil of death
    Christ. I spent too much time in college taking pretentious and mandatory classes about crap like that.

First, define art. Then see if said piece meets the definition.

If you see art more narrowly - I.e. something beautiful, then No, it is not likely art.

If you see it more broadly -I.e. nondiscursive visual narrative, then it is art. Art that you don't like, or find beautiful perhaps.

Philosophy of aesthetics drives me nuts. Blah.
    Ride more, whine less - HTFU.

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Ignore List: AM999

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you see it more broadly -I.e. nondiscursive visual narrative, then it is art. Art that you don't like, or find beautiful perhaps.

And yet, you "love Fart Cat."

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Some may have noticed my new avatar.

I will tell you later where I shot the pic.

So is this Art!!! Or Art???

Edit: And would you put this in your living room?

Attachment 282212
    Well, if the shoe fits...

Pencil of death

And yet, you "love Fart Cat."
    Not seeing the connection? What is your point?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes it does make sense. I should've written "Hence, your love for Fart Cat." That's what I get for posting hastily.

What the Hell is going on
    A friend of mine used to be the PR director of the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego and she used to send me VIP invitations whenever they had a new artist showing. Mostly it was a sneak peak for the benefactors and members of the museum to meet with the artist and his/her work before they opened it to the general public. I must say that most of what I saw left me with my head scratching but it was a wonderful place to people watch.

A lot of what I saw sounded like Paredown's friends story. The first art invitation I went to had a New York artist literally plastered a complete wall of the museum with garbage he found on the streets of New York. The audience had an "Emperor's New Clothes" mentality by asking such questions as "I noticed the left quadrant has more red in it than the others" all the while I was thinking "Hey, we're looking at garbage!"
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Pencil of death
    Yes it does make sense. I should've written "Hence, your love for Fart Cat." That's what I get for posting hastily.
    Well. I believe Fart Cat is discursive. So I love the narrative. And laugh every time at the crazy fart noises.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well. I believe Fart Cat is discursive. So I love the narrative. And laugh every time at the crazy fart noises.

Indeed, the parenthetical nature of his actions derives from classic slapstick, in direct contrast to the dignified, quotidian nature of a true domestic shorthair feline. I'll give it that.

We had to Google "Fart Cat" to see what it was about.

Pencil of death

Indeed, the parenthetical nature of his actions derives from classic slapstick, in direct contrast to the dignified, quotidian nature of a true domestic shorthair feline. I'll give it that.

We had to Google "Fart Cat" to see what it was about.
    Precisely. Last time my cat farted, she was so surprised she hissed at her own ass...

Fred the Clydesdale
    I disagree that art is whatever the artist decides is art. Art is a form of communication and therefore requires two perspectives. The artist portrays what he/she feels is art and the art appreciator either (a likes it or b) doesn't like it.

Art should give a reaction, either positive or negative.

I am an engineer and I have a friend who is an engineer and an artist. I told him that I did not understand Modern art. He and I went to the Smithsonian Modern Art museum. He asked me whether I liked a piece or not. Sometimes I said no, sometimes yes. He said that I do understand modern art.

If it projects a feeling, then it can be labeled art.

The leg is kind of funny, and I do consider it art, but I would not want it in my living room.

My nephew is an artist who lives in SoCal and works for a well known sculptist. He also has had several shows. I think his stuff isn't all that creative or artistic, but he likes what he does and gets paid for it.
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast