AIE
    midnight melon mounter

Art in the atomic age

Hello Lounge,

I'm putting together a lesson for an 8th grade history class, and I could use some help. I'm looking for modern art that expresses the doom of the atomic age. We just wrapped up the Yalta Conference, and the past few lessons have been information-rich. I want to transition into the Cold War with less fact and more feeling. Can somebody suggest pieces that are born from the war, the atomic bomb, or the early cold war?

I'm looking at Robert Frank's photography, but this is for 8th grade kids. Very literal would be best. Think 'Guernica', but related to the Cold War.

Japanese, Soviet or Polish art would be great.

Thanks Lounge. I haven't plumbed your depths for a while.

Misfit Toy
    Yeah, I'm no help....

It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

No hero that's understood
    The first thing that occurred to me was life magazine photos, or pictures of public school black out drills from the 50's. I'm not really aware of any really good cold war/ nuclear era art work.

waterproof*
    I found some a few weeks back but no idear where. However, I did right-click a few.

* posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Down at the U of Chicago

Henry Moore's sculpture Nuclear Energy looks like a mix of a skull and mushroom cloud. Kind of creepy. Enrico Fermi created nuclear fission near that spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

your text here
    the lounge logo, baby!

I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quite a few people have made the argument that sci-fi about alien invasions, UFOs and alien abductions were driven by sublimated fears of nuclear annihilation.

And of course there's Forbidden Planet. It's the Tempest in space, but it was also thought to be a comment on the whole question of whether man was mature enough to handle the destructive power of the atom bomb. And a durn good movie.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    It's not art per se, but the "Daisy" TV ad from LBJ's election campaign to me really captures the fear of an all out nuclear exchange a little later in the atomic age.

Not having lived the cold war (born in the 1980's) it is hard for me to understand it in a visceral sense. Props to you for using art and culture to look at the topic.

Weed
    Here are a couple from he Soviet side. I don't know if the TIME cover one is real or not.
    Last edited by zyzbot; 05-26-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Banned forever.....or not
    Art, ohotos and info.
    http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Russia/Sovwpnprog.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Art in the atomic age-lee_merlin_miss_atomic_bomb.jpg   Art in the atomic age-atomic-bomb-dud.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Maximum Gluteus
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-in-Evanston
    Hello Lounge,

I'm putting together a lesson for an 8th grade history class, and I could use some help. I'm looking for modern art that expresses the doom of the atomic age. We just wrapped up the Yalta Conference, and the past few lessons have been information-rich. I want to transition into the Cold War with less fact and more feeling. Can somebody suggest pieces that are born from the war, the atomic bomb, or the early cold war?

I'm looking at Robert Frank's photography, but this is for 8th grade kids. Very literal would be best. Think 'Guernica', but related to the Cold War.

Japanese, Soviet or Polish art would be great.

Thanks Lounge. I haven't plumbed your depths for a while.
    Jackson Pollock, from his "drip" period. Kurt Vonnegut wrote an interesting essay on Pollock's art, basically saying that the pure non-representational art - the rejection of any semblance of human or human-related shape or form - was a natural response to the horrors of WWII and the destruction threatened by the Cold War. The essay is in Vonnegut's semi-autobiograpy "Fates Worse Than Death." (Vonnegut didn't like Pollock's work, by the way, but he got paid to write the essay).

Still photos or posters from the movie Dr. Strangelove would be GREAT. Especially Slim Pickens riding the bomb down....
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

Pedal Master
    I think I prefer the "art" of nuke-minded turtles over the current "art" exhibited human centipedes. Sick.
    I Like B-I-K-E-S.