Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Because guns are like bikes, n+1 and all that. I simply just want one.
    Eh, use what you have. More airguns = more maintenance.

Master debator.
    I have only 9 bikes, and it is hard to keep them all serviced and running at the same time. Guns are easier.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    I have only 9 bikes, and it is hard to keep them all serviced and running at the same time. Guns are easier.
    you shoot yer eye out
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Avid smart-ass
    [QUOTE=atpjunkie;5162105]
    Otherwise
    Anschutz
    [url=http://jga.anschuetz

Holy crap, those Anshuetz models look like they should be flying through space at warp factor 8
    2015 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon
    2015 Scott Solace 30

RoadBikeReview Member
    My clients much prefer these uber accurate German match air rifles which are shootable art that are appreciating in value.

photo LindseyFWB300S_1.jpg
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Half a lifetime ago I had an Anschutz Biathlon .22lr rifle and a custom biathlon air gun based on a Diana RWS side cocking rifle. I was about the 5th owner of the air gun, but that thing was super accurate on the 10 and 15 meter ranges they used. It was surprising how hard it was to cock that RWS after you've skied 15 km, and it had a very slow response on the trigger, something you probably won't notice in normal shooting but something you really notice when you're trying to get your heartrate down. The Anschutz was much easier to shoot during a race due to its fast response time.

Both of these were super specialized, expensive guns - the harness I used with them cost more then my Gamo - but they held their value as they were both hard to find. I sold air gun for the same amount I paid for it after using it for a couple of seasons, and I sold the Anschutz for $2200, or about $300 less than a new one cost at the time, and about $500 more than I bought it. I always told myself I'd get another RWS air rifle but I shoot so little now I can't justify it. The Gamo does fine, but it isn't even the same neighborhood as the RWS.

Beetpull DeLite
    Yes, until they leak. You go to use it and "hissssssssss." The 10/22 will be ready every time.

I'm not a big fan of break barrels either, at least the one I had for a short time period.

Darling of The Lounge
    As a teenager, I was really into match air rifle shooting. My dad purchased a Fienwerkbau Junior for me which was a smaller version on their 300 series. Even back in the early 1980s, it cost over a grand.

The quality of workmanship was excellent and lack of recoil unreal. The groupings as a result of its accuracy was very rewarding.

I ended up selling the rifle when the only indoor range on O'ahu closed down. I wish I held on to it.

banned
    Mar 2017
    I'm looking to buy the Gamo 10 shot .22 air rifle. The 10 shot clip seems kind of gimmicky, but my Ruger 10-22 has a rotary clip and it's fine. My main use will be plinking in the back yard and pest control. We live out of town so I am good to shoot firearms on the property. I just want a quieter (hence a .22) rifle that doesn't freak the dogs out as much and something the wife can play with as she likes plinking also.

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-Swarm-Ma....22&th=1&psc=1
    Not an air rifle guy, but have you tried sub-sonic .22lr? They are quite a bit less noisy than a regular .22lr. And they'll feed in your 10/22. I've nailed a couple of raccoons on my roof with Remington sub sonic .22lr. Does the job and doesn't rile the next door neighbors
    if you're interested https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...g-rifle-loads/

[edit] missed your post about "n+1". Can't argue with that.
    Last edited by STSSMFT; 06-29-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Avid smart-ass
    Yeah, I remember how much the Germans were into the air rifle marksmanship. Seems they had a schutzenplatz in every town. And the quality. I ended up with a Voere 270 and Sauer 300 Win mag that are almost too nice to shoot.
    2015 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon
    2015 Scott Solace 30

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    22 shorts won't cycle in a semi auto. They are very quiet. And they will dispatch a coon effectively.

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by STSSMFT View Post
    Not an air rifle guy, but have you tried sub-sonic .22lr? They are quite a bit less noisy than a regular .22lr. And they'll feed in your 10/22. I've nailed a couple of raccoons on my roof with Remington sub sonic .22lr. Does the job and doesn't rile the next door neighbors
    if you're interested https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...g-rifle-loads/

[edit] missed your post about "n+1". Can't argue with that.

Yea pretty much n+1, I have a few other guns, but they aren't that much fun to shoot frankly. I ordered the Gamo, it will be a bit before I can play with it, but I look forward to it. I really like heavy artillery, but I also enjoy light plinking, and even throwing ball bearings around with a wrist rocket for fun.

banned
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    22 shorts won't cycle in a semi auto. They are very quiet. And they will dispatch a coon effectively.
    The sub-sonic stuff is .22lr not short. I've shot the subsonic from a 10/22 they are pretty quiet. From my Marlin 39A they are REALLY quiet.

banned
    Mar 2017
    Yea pretty much n+1, I have a few other guns, but they aren't that much fun to shoot frankly. I ordered the Gamo, it will be a bit before I can play with it, but I look forward to it. I really like heavy artillery, but I also enjoy light plinking, and even throwing ball bearings around with a wrist rocket for fun.
    n+1, It's not he who dies with the most toys wins ,it's he who lives with the most toys wins. I was thinking about an air rifle too. Almost got one, but decided against it for no particular reason.
    I enjoy the heavy artillery too. .45 instead of 9mm, .357 Mag instead of .38 Special. My .50 Hawken is much more fun than my .270 or .30-06.
    Most times I'm just as happy if not more taking the 39A out for a day in the woods.
    For real fun get yourself a .44 Colt 1861, black powder revolver. After all n+1. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last of the hand build "shootable" art coming out of Germany before the CNC manufacturing process took hold. Light matches at 30 meters.

photo Surrendertolove.jpg
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Not Banned
    I used to shoot one of these(Anschutz on bottom), and one of have held one of these -
    Tubb 2000 is a wicked rifle. Shoots 22-250 Remington, 6.5-284 Norma, 7mm-08 Rem, .308 and 6mm BR Remington through interchangable barrels. Rifle was/is the King of Camp Perry. No Scope, Iron Sight only
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Attention air rifle afficionados.-screen-shot-2017-06-29-7.51.35-pm.jpg   Attention air rifle afficionados.-screen-shot-2017-06-29-7.50.00-pm.jpg  
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

banned
    Mar 2017
    TroutMD, what kind of air rifle is the other you posted pictures of? I'm assuming it's the same rifle in both pictures.
    Last edited by STSSMFT; 06-30-2017 at 08:09 AM.

What the Hell is going on
    I still have a my 1970's Sheridan Blue Streak (.20 cal) pumper. With open sights it was very accurate to 10 to 15 yards. I put a cheap-o 9x Powerline scope and it improved the accuracy to about 25 to 30 yards but the scope got in the way of the pumping action. Alas, the seals went bad after 30 years of use. Haven't got around to having her repaired.

I know you don't prefer break barrels but I do like the gas ram break barrels offered by Benjamin. I currently have a Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 in .22. It's accurate, very quiet but heavy (9+ lbs). The newer line of Benjamin NP2 gas rams are suppose to be even quieter.

For kicks I put on a bi-pod on my Benjamin. Besides adding more weight the accuracy was cr@p.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Attention air rifle afficionados.-benjamin-np-xl-1100.jpg  
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Master debator.
    I think I have around 500 pellets through the rifle so far. It took a bit of adjusting to get the stock POS scope sighted in. I hated it, so I got a UTG (Leapers) 3-9X40 Hunter scope that I put on today. Sighted it in with cheap Crossman pellets, and then tried some more expensive H&N Target pellets. The H&N hit in a completely different spot (not unexpected) and grouped slightly better at 13 yards.

The wife loaded one clip backwards so we had fliers for a few rounds until we figured it out. We played around shooting and had a 1 pellet shoot off to see who would make dinner, we ended up doing 10 pellets, but in the end she won. I want to try a few different brands of pellets before I sight it in finally for whatever shoots best.

The wife loves it, she shoots while I load the clips. The action does requires some muscle to break, no problem for me, harder for her. We ended up tearing up the paper for 90 minutes tonight, and had fun which was the ultimate goal. The neighbor never heard it from a few hundred yards away, but he did comment that it looked like an assault rifle from a distance. I intend to try squirrel hunting with it this fall when I get the right pellets, currently a quarter covers a group of 10, but I want a little bit more accuracy out to 25 yards or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Attention air rifle afficionados.-rifle.jpg   Attention air rifle afficionados.-target.jpg   Attention air rifle afficionados.-targettoo.jpg  

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    I still have a my 1970's Sheridan Blue Streak (.20 cal) pumper. With open sights it was very accurate to 10 to 15 yards. I put a cheap-o 9x Powerline scope and it improved the accuracy to about 25 to 30 yards but the scope got in the way of the pumping action. Alas, the seals went bad after 30 years of use. Haven't got around to having her repaired.

I know you don't prefer break barrels but I do like the gas ram break barrels offered by Benjamin. I currently have a Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 in .22. It's accurate, very quiet but heavy (9+ lbs). The newer line of Benjamin NP2 gas rams are suppose to be even quieter.

For kicks I put on a bi-pod on my Benjamin. Besides adding more weight the accuracy was cr@p.
    I too still have a 70s Sheridan Blue Streak. It's up at my parents. Still works
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking a real 22 rifle, not a pellet gun. I'd be amazed if a pellet gun can break the sound barrier.

I bought my kid a 10/22 at Dicks a few months ago for $220. I had one when I was a kid. Pretty nice rifle for a couple hundred bucks. Some of the optics on these pellet guns pictured on this post look like they cost more than $200. Too bad that 22 ammo has gotten so expensive. Back when it was dirt cheap, I used to shoot it out of an uzi with a 22 conversion. Not worth the trouble these days. Hard to even find the stuff at times.
    Thankfully the .22 shortage seems to be over, and prices are dropping too.
    Most Walmarts are carrying .22 again and the Federal bulk boxes are the cheapest anywhere at 4.1 cents per round.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Off the back
    Remember this thread from a few months back. Glad to see you pulled the trigger on the Gamo.

Wondering if you considered the .177 version. And if it's any quieter than the .22. My neighbors are in closer proximity than yours. The 10-shot magazine looks like a great feature. It would definitely allow you to get the next shot off quicker.

Your wife is quite the marksman. Hope you cooked up something tasty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STSSMFT View Post
    TroutMD, what kind of air rifle is the other you posted pictures of? I'm assuming it's the same rifle in both pictures.
    It is a FWB 300S standard model --- a recoilless springer 10M .177 match air rifle capable of lighting matches at 25 yards.

The FWB 300S (built 1971 through 1996) came in a variety of differ models using the recoilless action, which by the way, was designed by the same Bavarian who also engineered the 1938 Nazi hand-held machine gun.

photo FWB300SUEarlyVersion.jpg

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Remember this thread from a few months back. Glad to see you pulled the trigger on the Gamo.

Wondering if you considered the .177 version. And if it's any quieter than the .22. My neighbors are in closer proximity than yours. The 10-shot magazine looks like a great feature. It would definitely allow you to get the next shot off quicker.

Your wife is quite the marksman. Hope you cooked up something tasty.
    The .177 is louder, most pellets shot through that exceed the sound barrier (1,080 fps or so) while the .22 is subsonic. Since .22 lr keeps coming up, I had an Anschutz Exemplar .22lr in my "youth". I was recently looking around for one as I foolishly sold mine when I got out of guns for a few years. The price has gone up considerably!

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I too still have a 70s Sheridan Blue Streak. It's up at my parents. Still works
    Unfortunately mine is in pieces. I bought one of those "do it yourself" kits to try and replace the seals but I botched the whole thing. My little brother has a barrel separation issue; semi common with these Blues Streaks. I wanns send my air rifle to Mac-1 guns and give a steroid treatment but I fear too much modification. I kinda like my Blue Streak stock.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast