Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Master debator.

Attention air rifle afficionados.

I'm looking to buy the Gamo 10 shot .22 air rifle. The 10 shot clip seems kind of gimmicky, but my Ruger 10-22 has a rotary clip and it's fine. My main use will be plinking in the back yard and pest control. We live out of town so I am good to shoot firearms on the property. I just want a quieter (hence a .22) rifle that doesn't freak the dogs out as much and something the wife can play with as she likes plinking also.

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-Swarm-Ma....22&th=1&psc=1
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I'm looking to buy the Gamo 10 shot .22 air rifle. The 10 shot clip seems kind of gimmicky, but my Ruger 10-22 has a rotary clip and it's fine. My main use will be plinking in the back yard and pest control. We live out of town so I am good to shoot firearms on the property. I just want a quieter (hence a .22) rifle that doesn't freak the dogs out as much and something the wife can play with as she likes plinking also.

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-Swarm-Ma....22&th=1&psc=1
    A buddy of mine just bought a Hatsan 10 round pre-charged pneumatic. He fills that thing with a scuba tank! They've sure come a long way since the old Crossman days.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Master debator.
    Yea the PCP rifles seem kind of complicated in that you need a way to fill them up to 3,000 psi but they make some pretty nice rifles that you can even hunt medium game with...

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Yea the PCP rifles seem kind of complicated in that you need a way to fill them up to 3,000 psi but they make some pretty nice rifles that you can even hunt medium game with...
    How is the Gamo powered?
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I haven't bought anything in recent years but this used to be my go to site for air guns.

Air Guns and Airsoft Guns | Your Source for Air Guns and Air Gun Accessories

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I have a Gamo Supersport .177. Nice airgun for the price, it is very accurate and has plenty of power, but it is heavy and LOUD. Almost as loud as a .22lr. The Whisper versions are quieter but still pretty loud. And if you shoot something like the PBA pellets there is a distinct crack. I really like it for doing some light plinking, target shooting, and taking care of a few pesky gray squirrels. I have several pellet pens, each loaded up with different pellets. Makes it very fast and easy to reload, and have a selection of pellets immediately available.

Master debator.
    One of the reasons I want a .22 is that it stays below the speed of sound so there is less "crack" and the .22 delivers more energy with a heavier pellet and supposedly better accuracy as their is less air disturbance around the pellet at sub-sonic speeds...

Darling of The Lounge
    I purchased a Beeman Kodiak dual caliber silver with a nylon stock a few years back. Great rifle for the money. I like having the option of using .177 for plinking and the .22 for commando gopher assassinations.

There are lots of videos online of hunting wild pigs with the .22 cal air rifles.

Master debator.
    I saw that on at Wally World for $99. I sat down at the computer to do a bit of research, and before you know it 2 hours was gone as I learned there are air rifles that can be used for hunting medium African game and deer etc. it was quite fascinating.

The first thing my gun nut friends say is "buy a real gun" but they have no experience with modern air rifles and don't realize how accurate and powerful they can be, and of course you need to spend good money for those things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The repeater is a cool feature.
    It is hard to be used to a magazine, and go to a single shot - but I would suggest keep looking -

That Gamo is, I think, a gas piston. I simply have not been able to get reliable accuracy, at varmint distance - 25 or 30 yard - with a springer or gas piston air rifle.

Hypothetically, pest control could include rats or squirrels. Think of the circle in which you would reliably need to place a pellet in order to be fully effective. (I am speaking in gentle tones to not alarm the sensitive.) You and your air rifle need to reliably be able to put the pellet in that zone. Not 3/5 shots, not after warming up. That is, if you decide maiming is not an option.

I got really accurate with my boys' Red Riders, hitting a 2.5 inch diameter bell hung on a tree branch from about 20 yards, so I decided air guns could be taken seriously. But that was a bit more like golf - you have to get the right arch, and you are really just dropping the BB on the target - it is going maybe 350 fps.

So, I got a Ruger Air Hawk - a springer - really nice. But I could not get accuracy - so I went to bench rest - still no within-a-quarter accuracy. Handhold is the better wawy to go with a springer, anyway, but the springer technology inherently has a lot of random motion.

So, I got a Crosman Vantage - gas powered. Really nice. More accurate. But still, there is a lot of physical stuff happening that makes it very hard to be accurate.

I got rid of the Ruger but I still like the Crosman.

but I have moved on to a Beeman QB78. It is a co2 rifle - you load in two 12gram co2 cylinders, and get maybe 60 accurate shots. This, with the co2, finally has varmint-level accuracy, bench or handheld. I have the 22, and it keeps pellets below sonic-boom level -the secret to acceptable noisiness! It is probably 600-650 fsp; sonic crack is at or over 950 (depending on variables such as humidity).

They are really nice, and not that much money.

I agree with the 22 vs 177.

The only thing you lose is the repeater. I don't have experience with any co2 air rifle with magazine, clip, or otherwise a repeater. But I would encourage you to jump straight to CO2 or PCP.

Also, you are not going to get a follow-up shot at a rat or squirrel, so the repeater option is fun but not as pragmatic in getting you ready for a varmint invasion.

Jut my thoughts. Have fun! Wear eye protection!

hello
    I've got a fixed barrel Weihrauch HW97k rifle in .20 and a very powerful break barrel Hatsun rifle in .177 I picked up cheap refurbished. I also built a shooting table a couple of years ago.

Last edited by roadfix; 06-26-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: found photo
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Frog Whisperer
    I replaced a doa Sheridan Blue streak with a ruger, .177 Blackhawk Elite. It is HEAVY, it is louder than my a .22 short. However it is accurate and for reference, you can "supercharge" the muzzle velocity by putting a tiny droplet of oil on the back of the pellet. The rapid compression of the air in the chamber detonates (like a diesel) and it does speed it up in IMO.
    That is NOT the scope that came with it!!!! Tasco 3-9 x 32
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Attention air rifle afficionados.-ruger.jpg  
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Not Banned
    still have a Sheridan from my childhood.
    Otherwise
    Anschutz
    J.G. ANSCH√úTZ GmbH & Co. KG - Target Air Rifles
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Beetpull DeLite
    How about subsonic ammo for the 10/22? One less thing to maintain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    How about 10/22 + subsonic ammo + suppressor? The only way to go!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    One of the reasons I want a .22 is that it stays below the speed of sound so there is less "crack" and the .22 delivers more energy with a heavier pellet and supposedly better accuracy as their is less air disturbance around the pellet at sub-sonic speeds...
    Only if you shoot subsonic 22 ammo. Frankly, I find 22's out of a rifle like your 10/22 to be pretty quiet. You could get a silencer for it. That would bring it down to pellet gun noise levels. I wish I could shoot in my backyard.

Master debator.

Because guns are like bikes, n+1 and all that. I simply just want one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Only if you shoot subsonic 22 ammo. Frankly, I find 22's out of a rifle like your 10/22 to be pretty quiet. You could get a silencer for it. That would bring it down to pellet gun noise levels. I wish I could shoot in my backyard.
    Replace the bolt buffer with a quiet one. With subsonic 22lr, my 10/22 is quieter than my Beeman QB78.

Master debator.

Right, but I don't see a .22 that breaks the sound barrier, in my price range anyway, with lead pellets.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Right, but I don't see a .22 that breaks the sound barrier, in my price range anyway, with lead pellets.
    Yeah, I was thinking a real 22 rifle, not a pellet gun. I'd be amazed if a pellet gun can break the sound barrier.

I bought my kid a 10/22 at Dicks a few months ago for $220. I had one when I was a kid. Pretty nice rifle for a couple hundred bucks. Some of the optics on these pellet guns pictured on this post look like they cost more than $200. Too bad that 22 ammo has gotten so expensive. Back when it was dirt cheap, I used to shoot it out of an uzi with a 22 conversion. Not worth the trouble these days. Hard to even find the stuff at times.

Master debator.
    Yeah, I was thinking a real 22 rifle, not a pellet gun. I'd be amazed if a pellet gun can break the sound barrier.

I bought my kid a 10/22 at Dicks a few months ago for $220. I had one when I was a kid. Pretty nice rifle for a couple hundred bucks. Some of the optics on these pellet guns pictured on this post look like they cost more than $200. Too bad that 22 ammo has gotten so expensive. Back when it was dirt cheap, I used to shoot it out of an uzi with a 22 conversion. Not worth the trouble these days. Hard to even find the stuff at times.
    The .177's supposedly crack 1,600 fps now, the speed of sound being around 1,080 or so they make a louder sound than some 22 rim fire rifles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depending on local law, you might get in more trouble if someone reports you for discharging a 22lr versus firing a pellet gun.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The .177's supposedly crack 1,600 fps now, the speed of sound being around 1,080 or so they make a louder sound than some 22 rim fire rifles.
    So why not just shoot the real thing?

Master debator.
    I don't know, that's why I want a .22 though. I have an older .177 already that's only 800 fps. I suppose some folks might be restricted to a .177 due to local law as mentioned above, maybe .22 is illegal but a faster .177 acceptable. I know some cities will let you shoot a pellet rifle in city limits if it is .18 caliber or below from what I have read.

Frog Whisperer
    it never occurred to me that 1200fps was breaking the sound barrier, that explains the noise!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast