Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AIE
    midnight melon mounter

Aware of the lunar cycle?

Who here is generally aware of the lunar cycle? If someone asked you where, when and in what phase the moon will rise, do you know? I'm learning my moon cycles because Otis is a freak for everything moonish. He likes to look for it, think about it, wonder who might live on it. Every other thought that passes his lips is about the moon.

Learning about the moon makes me feel like a primitive in a very positive way. If you'd like to feel primitive, look up in the sky on Thursday evening. It will be full. In my town, it'll rise at 4:30pm. Check your farmers' almanac for local info.

Non non normal
    I keep general track of the moon phases.
    When I bowhunted all the time, I would plan my days hunting around the moon phase. It made a big difference in my success when I started considering the moon phase with the other variables most hunters consider.

I have a hard time sleeping on full moon nights.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am aware of the lunar cycle. My totem animal is Owl. The term "lunatic" was used by Judeo-Christian proponents to discredit/imprison Pagans who would often need to meet at night under the light of the full moon to avoid persecution. I ride home in the dark every night from now until March 8, 2009 when daylight savings time springs forward. There will be a full moon on March 10, 2009. I am aware of the lunar cycle... How about tides?

singlecross
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ... somehow, I donít know how, I want to influence a trend toward just riding... just riding like kids ride, but as adults. - Grant Petersen

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    The lunar cycle has a lot of effect on fishing for certain species. Our department of game and inland fisheries releases a calander every year that tells you how good the fishing will be each day based on lunar cycles and the natural rhythm of the fish in our area.

But personally, while I'm aware of how the cycles work, I couldn't tell you where we are in the cycle right now. Lately the only time I spend looking at the moon is while walking the dog late at night.
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-in-Evanston
    Who here is generally aware of the lunar cycle? If someone asked you where, when and in what phase the moon will rise, do you know? I'm learning my moon cycles because Otis is a freak for everything moonish. He likes to look for it, think about it, wonder who might live on it. Every other thought that passes his lips is about the moon.

Learning about the moon makes me feel like a primitive in a very positive way. If you'd like to feel primitive, look up in the sky on Thursday evening. It will be full. In my town, it'll rise at 4:30pm. Check your farmers' almanac for local info.
    I am fairly aware... it's the tides I know much better...today, 1:45pm was a -0.5ft low. No school today so we went down to the tidepools and looked for stuff. My daughter loves the tidepools so it was a big hit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aware of the lunar cycle?-tidepools1.jpg  
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

waterproof*
    I am, just because I'm a backyard astronomer. It's a great full moon in Dallas tonight, rising over the Tuesday night CX races.

Hey Alex, you want a mind-bender, see if you can figure out the moon's orbit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I am, just because I'm a backyard astronomer. It's a great full moon in Dallas tonight, rising over the Tuesday night CX races.

Hey Alex, you want a mind-bender, see if you can figure out the moon's orbit.
    I'm taking astronomy 101 right now, and the orbit of the moon was one of the things I've had the most trouble with. Escape velocity of rockets, event horizons and special relativity were all relatively (ha, ha) easy, but the moon's orbit was tricky. It's logical after you think about it though.

/i'm 150 pages into 200 pages of reading for a midterm about star formation and black holes tomorrow
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For those of us in the Northern hemisphere, here's a rhyme to help:

Reach a hand to the crescent moon...
    Grab a hold of the hollow...
    If it falls in the palm of the Left...
    That moon will be fuller tomorrow...

singlecross
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ... somehow, I donít know how, I want to influence a trend toward just riding... just riding like kids ride, but as adults. - Grant Petersen

In need of sock puppet
    Aside from it being a Waxing Gibbous, Julian date 2454782.667176, with a moon age of 13 days, 12 hours, 11 Minutes as of this post, at 45.74% phase, with a visible range of 98.22% and ~369,758.234 km from Earth, I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

but iEphemeris on my iPhone does...

Captain Obvious
    my 2y/o likes the moon. he's not exactly into it, but it was one of his words he knew early in his limited vocabulary. he usually points it out in every book. sometimes, when we get out of the car at night, he'll run to the end of the driveway to look for it. i try to pay attention to it a little so i know when it is in the sky, but i never really learned much about it. i did know it was almost full tho.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

In need of sock puppet
    Everyone likes the moon

eminence grease
    Close to 100%. I check it every night.

The thing I've been focusing on lately is the position in the east where it rises each night. Interesting celestial mechanics problem between its offset from the equator, its orbital period and the rotation of the earth. Funny thing is, this is something I never noticed until I had this big mountain to the east that acts as a scale.
    Last edited by terry b; 11-11-2008 at 08:13 PM.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

In need of sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Close to 100%. I check it every night.
    Only if 98.22% is close... sheesh...

No team-cest unless 8+!
    I'm aware.

Night time MTB riding. A full moon makes it easier.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    98.22%
    Not the Moon dude, my awareness of the Moon.

BTW - go buy Perpetuum for your iPhone - way, way cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by svend
    I am fairly aware... it's the tides I know much better...today, 1:45pm was a -0.5ft low. No school today so we went down to the tidepools and looked for stuff. My daughter loves the tidepools so it was a big hit.

I love this picture, Svend. Really. Just sweet.

Maybe because it reminds of back when I was a little girl, setting off to explore the beach at low tide, back when the world was still big.

In need of sock puppet
    We're getting closer... only 369,563.804 km now.

In need of sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Not the Moon dude, my awareness of the Moon.

BTW - go buy Perpetuum for your iPhone - way, way cool.
    Technical schmechnical.

I like Perpetuum. You should check out iEphemeris, it's not as calendar driven as Perpetuum, but it is full of numerical data.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    In the medical field, we cringe in and around the time of full moons. I used to sneer at the those who "bought into the superstition." Twenty years later and I can tell you, that often the times when things go nuts are at full, or near full moons.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    Technical schmechnical.

I like Perpetuum. You should check out iEphemeris, it's not as calendar driven as Perpetuum, but it is full of numerical data.
    Just downloaded it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    In the medical field, we cringe in and around the time of full moons. I used to sneer at the those who "bought into the superstition." Twenty years later and I can tell you, that often the times when things go nuts are at full, or near full moons.
    My mom works in the NICU, and they've got data to prove that more babies are born during full moons. That, and 9 months after a big snow storm, when the parents are stuck at home with nothing to do.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.

Custom Title= ?

Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    Absolutely.
    Here in SoCal, who needs a lunar calendar?
    Just get on a freeway before sunrise and observe how whacked our fellow American drivers treat one another....
    Approaching Full, it's exponentially crazy-crazy, after it drops off quickly.
    Also a contributing factor is how visible the Moon is....
    Airplane Mode is not just for flying... or riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always though that the spike in crimes during the full moon phase was due to better lighting for criminals.

your text here
    i dont know THAT much about the moon, but i can tell you most people i work with are oblivious.

The Kid really likes the moon. When he was younger and fussy in the car, i pointed out a full moon and how it followed us where ever we went. "i want to touch the moon" he said. from that moment on, he has looked for it every night. he was the only two year old i have known who knew what a crescent, full, and new moon are.
    it was precious the first time he noticed the moon in the day. "why is the moon up? does it need to help the sun today?"

a month ago i took him outside to look at the moon through binoculars. he couldnt see it, couldnt see it, couldnt...a big smile came across his face when he found it. "i wanna stay outside all night!"

monday night the moon was in a position where we could see it from the skylight in the bathroom. that blew him away. last night he wanted to see it again, but it was raining.

my favorite is the frosty beaver moon. i just like saying it.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Low rep power
    Moon and tides (rabid flyfisherman )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast