RoadBikeReview Member

Bear [click]bait

RoadBikeReview Member
    I never hike the trails or camp without bear spray. Fortunately I have never had to use it on a bear. Sprayed it towards a buddy one time and he acted like it really sucked to get sprayed with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've done a few backpack treks in bear country, and usually carry bear spray. The rangers here in BC highly recommended it.

But the one 7 day trek we did in the high Sierras in California bear spray was strictly outlawed. And the ranger did check some of our group for spray.

never had to use it. However we did have a bear approach our campsite and stranded a couple other hikers on a cable car tower .. so they used a couple bear bangers which worked GREAT. We came across 2 bears on the trail that trip .. and 3 more on the drive out of the woods, all black. I now have a bear banger I often carry - lighter than a magnum of that bear spray

I did have to use my bear spray on an aggressive loose dog once. worked well for that
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 05-09-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

a real member's member
    i've seen two wild cats in the pac nw. but i've never seen a bear, except at the zoo. and i've hiked countless trails all over washington and oregon.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    You're right, that photo was helpful. If I see one of those up close I will know that it was a bear that mauled me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i've seen two wild cats in the pac nw. but i've never seen a bear, except at the zoo. and i've hiked countless trails all over washington and oregon.
    that surprises me. Albeit BC has higher concentrations of everything. something like 150 000 black bears here, and 15 000 grizzlies. around 1 000 cougars just here on the island. I've seen at least one bear every time I drive to/past the Port Renfrew area just west of here. Had a big male black bear sniffing around my truck recently .. so I invested in a $500 bear proof bin for my garbage
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Russian Troll Farmer
    When hiking in bear country, the only proven security is to go with somebody who runs slower than you do......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Carrying pepper spray is a great idea. If the bear forgets to bring it's own pepper you can give yourself a quick spritz so it can enjoy it's meal properly.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    Was it during winter months? If so, they were hibernating.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Was it during winter months? If so, they were hibernating.
    no, never hiked the cascades nor the olympics during winter. in the snow, sure, but not in the winter.

winter is for skiing.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A guide once told me to always carry bear spray and wear bells so they will hear you and you don't surprise the them. He also said it's important to be able to differentiate between black bear's and grizzly bear's scat. Black bears scat is full of berry seeds and rabbit fur and grizzly bear's scat is full of bells and smells like pepper.