Ricardo Cabeza

Best resonator guitar

I've been gravitating more toward early ragtime/blues like Blind Blake and Blind Boy Fuller, which I think sounds much better on a resonator than on a standard acoustic.

So I'm looking around for a metal body tricone. Any suggestions? Looking for something in the under $750 range for now (not really good enough to justify spending more. It's just something I enjoy doing for me and no one else)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Not Banned
    Both recording king and Regal make knock offs of the tri plate at around that price range
    I have a National Tenor from around 1920 and a Dobro Spanish Neck Single Resonator but with an all metal body from the 30s
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Ricardo Cabeza
    thanks. I was looking at a National. A little more than I want to spend.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    thanks. I was looking at a National. A little more than I want to spend.
    you can find Nationals for around 1 - 2 grand, that was above your price point
    keep your eyes on flea markets, garage sales. I would up with both of mine for a Song. Takamine made one in the 80s (single cone) that was a great guitar as well. You may find one of those for a song

Carbon riding Luddite
    Oct 2013
    Check out Republic Guitars. They have a great well made line of resonators and they are priced nicely. Give them a call and you'll talk to the head honcho in charge.
    Gallery ? Republic Reso-phonic Guitars

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I'm a big fan of Recording King's offerings. Otherwise, the good ol' Dobro brand is now distributed by Gibson and is pretty good as well.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    i like republics, as well.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    you can find Nationals for around 1 - 2 grand, that was above your price point
    keep your eyes on flea markets, garage sales. I would up with both of mine for a Song. Takamine made one in the 80s (single cone) that was a great guitar as well. You may find one of those for a song
    I always have my eye open at flea markets. That's how I picked up a 12-string Guild for $25. I don't have that one anymore. Someone decided they wanted it more than I did and had the cash to prove it

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    So I finally bought one. I was in Guitar Center (yeah, I know...) looking for a decent 3/4 size lefty for my son (ended up buying a Yamaha and having it converted). Saw a Gretsch G9202 Honey Dripper hanging on the wall with a $500 price tag, but it had some issues which the tech said couldn't be repaired. They said it was bought new and returned because of the issues and should never have been put back out on the floor.

They said I could have it for what they had in it, which was $300, so I took it home. I fixed the neck problem - someone had run the truss rod all the way out and tightened it in the opposite direction, which put a huge bow in the neck. I simply ran it back in and was able to get it perfect. Then I fixed the action by replacing the crushed cone with a hand-spun Replogle from Stewmac.

Plays nice but I need to update my skill a little :-)

SuperAndy's Garage

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    So I finally bought one. I was in Guitar Center (yeah, I know...) looking for a decent 3/4 size lefty for my son (ended up buying a Yamaha and having it converted). Saw a Gretsch G9202 Honey Dripper hanging on the wall with a $500 price tag, but it had some issues which the tech said couldn't be repaired. They said it was bought new and returned because of the issues and should never have been put back out on the floor.

They said I could have it for what they had in it, which was $300, so I took it home. I fixed the neck problem - someone had run the truss rod all the way out and tightened it in the opposite direction, which put a huge bow in the neck. I simply ran it back in and was able to get it perfect. Then I fixed the action by replacing the crushed cone with a hand-spun Replogle from Stewmac.

Plays nice but I need to update my skill a little :-)
    my buddy ordered one of these. R.E. Phillips Metal Guitars

he ordered the small parlor

Not Banned
    one of RE Phillips players is Valerie Turner. Carrying the torch for Etta Baker and BBQ Bob and the Peidmont Blues movement.