Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 131415
    Fake President
    Well moreons, thanx for all the help. Got my list down 2 an almost-reasonable (Top ) 10 cars:

Luxury sedans:
    Lexus GS 350
    Lexus LS (2018)
    Porsche Panamera
    Tesla Model S

'Sporty cars':
    BMW M2 coupe
    BMW M3 sedan/M4 coupe (same car)

Sports cars:
    Lotus Evora 400
    Mazda MX-5 Miata
    Mercedes SLC roadster
    Porsche Boxster

Will return to the process (and the thread) in the Spring, where it'll be warmer/much better for doing things like Turo'ing roadsters with the top down while cruising the NorCal coast.

But feel free to hang out and keep talking all things automotive in the interim (even if its about Dodge SRT Demons ).

Seeya back here in around 2-4 months, I think. Out.

ps– eliminated the Audi A5/S5 Sportback due to multiple horrifying reliability stories from relatives and friends of same

Too bad... thought Audi was well on its way to working past such nonsense.
    Last edited by SystemShock; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:27 PM. Reason: to include car types

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    I'm enjoying the 18' Crosstrek.. it's got no guts but I'm ok with that for this cars purpose. If it had my Forester XT's engine..it would be fun.
    Mine should be in at the end of February. Whenever I read reviews, which ALL mention the lack of power, I remind myself that my Crosstrek is replacing a 20 year old SUV with a malfunctioning transmission. I bet the Suby will feel plenty fast enough from that perspective.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Mine should be in at the end of February. Whenever I read reviews, which ALL mention the lack of power, I remind myself that my Crosstrek is replacing a 20 year old SUV with a malfunctioning transmission. I bet the Suby will feel plenty fast enough from that perspective.
    Indeed... mine replaced an 18 year old VW passed with transmission issues. I got the limited version with all the "cheese" So far it's been great and with a heavy foot it's does go. Need to order a hitch for it... tempted to lift it 1.5 but I'll wait.
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

Fake President
    sidenote – Returned my Subie Outback loaner today (which I had for a week, courtesy the Takata airbag recall on my main car).

It's not a car I'd consider, but if you are... DEFINITELY GET THE 6-CYLINDER VERSION.

As in... My. god. Really.

The current-gen Outback is a weird/bad size, i.e. just *barely* big/long/tall/heavy enough that the base 4-cylinder engine makes it feel like you're driving a pickup truck. A slooow one.

It even sounds a lot like a diesel pickup as it strains to motorvate two tons of automobile.

I have no doubt the added 80hp of the 3.6R version is exactly what it needs & would make a huge difference in how it feels as a daily driver. And the OB does have a nice big well-appointed interior and plush, well-controlled ride. It's not at all terrible, overall... it just shouldn't have a 4-cyl, even as the base engine.

On the plus side, though... if you have a truly kamikaze teenage driver in the house, give them a 4-cyl Outback. They will have a really hard time getting into trouble with it, unless their IQ is in true Beavis-and-Butthead territory.

Out.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    sidenote – Returned my Subie Outback loaner today (which I had for a week, courtesy the Takata airbag recall on my main car).

It's not a car I'd consider, but if you are... DEFINITELY GET THE 6-CYLINDER VERSION.

The current-gen Outback is a weird/bad size, i.e. just *barely* big/long/tall/heavy enough that the base 4-cylinder engine makes it feel like you're driving a pickup truck. A slooow one.

It even sounds a lot like a diesel pickup as it strains to motorvate two tons of automobile.

I have no doubt the added 80hp of the 3.6R version is exactly what it needs & would make a huge difference in how it feels as a daily driver. And the OB does have a nice big well-appointed interior and plush, well-controlled ride. It's not at all terrible, overall... it just shouldn't have a 4-cyl, even as the base engine.

On the plus side, though... if you have a truly kamikaze teenage driver in the house, give them a 4-cyl Outback. They will have a really hard time getting into trouble with it, unless their IQ is in true Beavis-and-Butthead territory.

Out.
    So it's the new Volvo 240
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016

Out.
    Exactly my experience with the Outback and its 4cyl. and 6cyl, as I tested it 2 years ago as my wife bought a new Subaru. 4cyl is boring but good mpg and "safe". 6cyl has more power. I would almost have said 4 cyl for the wife, 6 cyl for the husband but this is not politically correct....

I like your comment about the 4 cyl. and the teenage!
    My first car was also a 4cyl. a Fiat Panda with 32 horse power. The BEST car for me to survive at that age - everything more powerful will have ended my life there....

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_mm
    I like your comment about the 4 cyl. [Outback] and the teenager!

My first car was also a 4cyl. a Fiat Panda with 32 horsepower. The BEST car for me to survive at that age - everything more powerful would have ended my life there....
    LOL. I resemble that remark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_mm View Post
    The BEST car for me to survive at that age - everything more powerful will have ended my life there....
    Mine was a 74 VW Super Beetle. Lack of rear seat space was another thing my parents loved about that car.

IIRC, the 6-cyl Outback requires premium gas. I know that's one of the things that my friends didn't like about it when they were shopping a few years ago.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    IIRC, the 6-cyl Outback requires premium gas. I know that's one of the things that my friends didn't like about it when they were shopping a few years ago.
    I don't think that's true anymore, at least for US 6-cyl Outbacks. AFAIK, they take regular gas.

Was he looking at a non-US and/or older turbo-engined version? I think 2009 was the last model year where the US Outback had a turbo (i.e. would need premium).
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    So it's the new Volvo 240
    Ouch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Ouch.

It‘s a Volvo...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 131415