Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 13141516 LastLast
    welcome to the jungle
    Well moreons, thanx for all the help. Got my list down 2 an almost-reasonable (Top ) 10 cars:

Luxury sedans:
    Lexus GS 350
    Lexus LS (2018)
    Porsche Panamera
    Tesla Model S

'Sporty cars':
    BMW M2 coupe
    BMW M3 sedan/M4 coupe (same car)

Sports cars:
    Lotus Evora 400
    Mazda MX-5 Miata
    Mercedes SLC roadster
    Porsche Boxster/Cayman

Will return to the process (and the thread) in the Spring, where it'll be warmer/much better for doing things like Turo'ing roadsters with the top down while cruising the NorCal coast.

But feel free to hang out and keep talking all things automotive in the interim (even if its about Dodge SRT Demons ).

Seeya back here in around 2-4 months, I think. Out.

ps– eliminated the Audi A5/S5 Sportback due to multiple horrifying reliability stories from relatives and friends of same

Too bad... thought Audi was well on its way to working past such nonsense.
    Last edited by SystemShock; 04-26-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: to include car types

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    I'm enjoying the 18' Crosstrek.. it's got no guts but I'm ok with that for this cars purpose. If it had my Forester XT's engine..it would be fun.
    Mine should be in at the end of February. Whenever I read reviews, which ALL mention the lack of power, I remind myself that my Crosstrek is replacing a 20 year old SUV with a malfunctioning transmission. I bet the Suby will feel plenty fast enough from that perspective.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Mine should be in at the end of February. Whenever I read reviews, which ALL mention the lack of power, I remind myself that my Crosstrek is replacing a 20 year old SUV with a malfunctioning transmission. I bet the Suby will feel plenty fast enough from that perspective.
    Indeed... mine replaced an 18 year old VW passed with transmission issues. I got the limited version with all the "cheese" So far it's been great and with a heavy foot it's does go. Need to order a hitch for it... tempted to lift it 1.5 but I'll wait.
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

welcome to the jungle
    sidenote – Returned my Subie Outback loaner today (which I had for a week, courtesy the Takata airbag recall on my main car).

It's not a car I'd consider, but if you are... DEFINITELY GET THE 6-CYLINDER VERSION.

As in... My. god. Really.

The current-gen Outback is a weird/bad size, i.e. just *barely* big/long/tall/heavy enough that the base 4-cylinder engine makes it feel like you're driving a pickup truck. A slooow one.

It even sounds a lot like a diesel pickup as it strains to motorvate two tons of automobile.

I have no doubt the added 80hp of the 3.6R version is exactly what it needs & would make a huge difference in how it feels as a daily driver. And the OB does have a nice big well-appointed interior and plush, well-controlled ride. It's not at all terrible, overall... it just shouldn't have a 4-cyl, even as the base engine.

On the plus side, though... if you have a truly kamikaze teenage driver in the house, give them a 4-cyl Outback. They will have a really hard time getting into trouble with it, unless their IQ is in true Beavis-and-Butthead territory.

Out.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    sidenote – Returned my Subie Outback loaner today (which I had for a week, courtesy the Takata airbag recall on my main car).

It's not a car I'd consider, but if you are... DEFINITELY GET THE 6-CYLINDER VERSION.

The current-gen Outback is a weird/bad size, i.e. just *barely* big/long/tall/heavy enough that the base 4-cylinder engine makes it feel like you're driving a pickup truck. A slooow one.

It even sounds a lot like a diesel pickup as it strains to motorvate two tons of automobile.

I have no doubt the added 80hp of the 3.6R version is exactly what it needs & would make a huge difference in how it feels as a daily driver. And the OB does have a nice big well-appointed interior and plush, well-controlled ride. It's not at all terrible, overall... it just shouldn't have a 4-cyl, even as the base engine.

On the plus side, though... if you have a truly kamikaze teenage driver in the house, give them a 4-cyl Outback. They will have a really hard time getting into trouble with it, unless their IQ is in true Beavis-and-Butthead territory.

Out.
    So it's the new Volvo 240
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016

Out.
    Exactly my experience with the Outback and its 4cyl. and 6cyl, as I tested it 2 years ago as my wife bought a new Subaru. 4cyl is boring but good mpg and "safe". 6cyl has more power. I would almost have said 4 cyl for the wife, 6 cyl for the husband but this is not politically correct....

I like your comment about the 4 cyl. and the teenage!
    My first car was also a 4cyl. a Fiat Panda with 32 horse power. The BEST car for me to survive at that age - everything more powerful will have ended my life there....

welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_mm
    I like your comment about the 4 cyl. [Outback] and the teenager!

My first car was also a 4cyl. a Fiat Panda with 32 horsepower. The BEST car for me to survive at that age - everything more powerful would have ended my life there....
    LOL. I resemble that remark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_mm View Post
    The BEST car for me to survive at that age - everything more powerful will have ended my life there....
    Mine was a 74 VW Super Beetle. Lack of rear seat space was another thing my parents loved about that car.

IIRC, the 6-cyl Outback requires premium gas. I know that's one of the things that my friends didn't like about it when they were shopping a few years ago.

welcome to the jungle
    IIRC, the 6-cyl Outback requires premium gas. I know that's one of the things that my friends didn't like about it when they were shopping a few years ago.
    I don't think that's true anymore, at least for US 6-cyl Outbacks. AFAIK, they take regular gas.

Was he looking at a non-US and/or older turbo-engined version? I think 2009 was the last model year where the US Outback had a turbo (i.e. would need premium).
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    So it's the new Volvo 240
    Ouch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Ouch.

It‘s a Volvo...

welcome to the jungle
    Interesting article...foreign markets are keeping the Ford Mustang alive?

excerpt:

All told, Ford said demand for the Mustang outside the U.S. is double what it expected. Capitalizing on that success, this year Ford added Brazil and five other countries to its Mustang paddock.

What’s more, foreign buyers are a hugely profitable piece of business, since Mustangs headed overseas tend to be decked out in the most lavish trim. A bareback version starts at around $26,000 in the U.S., but buyers abroad are limited to a “Performance Pack,” pushing up the starting price to almost $54,000 in the U.K. and Germany.

It turns out that Ford hit a masterstroke in product strategy, even besting such continental sports cars as the Porsche 911, which the Mustang now outsells in the German market...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-ford-mustang

RoadBikeReview Member
    remarkable. cause the last time I drove a Mustang (weekend in Napa), it was pretty close to the worst automobile I'd ever driven. A rental about 4 years ago, making it about a 2014 model convertible. Sightlines=deep bathub horrid. back seat fuggedaboudit. Handling = school bus. nimbleness = school bus. Interior = blah. Just a bigas%ed clumsy car in which you can spec a huge powerful engine for cheap.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    remarkable. cause the last time I drove a Mustang (weekend in Napa), it was pretty close to the worst automobile I'd ever driven. A rental about 4 years ago, making it about a 2014 model convertible.

Sightlines=deep bathub horrid. back seat fuggedaboudit. Handling = school bus. nimbleness = school bus. Interior = blah. Just a bigas%ed clumsy car in which you can spec a huge powerful engine for cheap.
    Apparently, the sixth gen redesign (2015 model year & thereafter) improved the handling (and perhaps a few other things) markedly.

I think that's why it was the first generation of 'stang that got built with the right-side side steering wheel variant, i.e. greater emphasis on it as an export product. 'Cuz earlier generations of Mustang wouldn't have been that appealing overseas(?), for the reasons you cite.

RoadBikeReview Member
    remarkable. cause the last time I drove a Mustang (weekend in Napa), it was pretty close to the worst automobile I'd ever driven. A rental about 4 years ago, making it about a 2014 model convertible. Sightlines=deep bathub horrid. back seat fuggedaboudit. Handling = school bus. nimbleness = school bus. Interior = blah. Just a bigas%ed clumsy car in which you can spec a huge powerful engine for cheap.
    A GT with a manual transmission and a few aftermarket suspension goodies will embarrass most cars costing 2x or 3x.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is a massive difference between the 6th gen (2015+) and a 2014 convertible. Most importantly, the 2014 was still using a solid rear axle (meaning the left and right rear wheels could not move independently). Besides trucks, it was pretty much the only production car still using a solid axle. Plus, the old convertibles had an extremely floppy chassis.

A car like the current GT350R shares little but the "Mustang" nameplate with what you drove. They have a fully independent rear suspension and a much more modern design all around. It's quicker than an Audi R8 v10 around a road course.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    There is a massive difference between the 6th gen (2015+) and a 2014 convertible. Most importantly, the 2014 was still using a solid rear axle (meaning the left and right rear wheels could not move independently). Besides trucks, it was pretty much the only production car still using a solid axle. Plus, the old convertibles had an extremely floppy chassis.

A car like the current GT350R shares little but the "Mustang" nameplate with what you drove. They have a fully independent rear suspension and a much more modern design all around. It's quicker than an Audi R8 v10 around a road course.
    And it has carbon fiber wheels on that GT350R

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    nvm...
    Last edited by lemonlime; 03-16-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Exactly my experience with the Outback and its 4cyl. and 6cyl, as I tested it 2 years ago as my wife bought a new Subaru. 4cyl is boring but good mpg and "safe". 6cyl has more power. I would almost have said 4 cyl for the wife, 6 cyl for the husband but this is not politically correct....
    I don't know about now, but for my 2000 Legacy, fuel economy is not that big of a hit between the H4 and H6 (2-3 mpg combined at most).

I like your comment about the 4 cyl. and the teenage!
    My first car was also a 4cyl. a Fiat Panda with 32 horse power. The BEST car for me to survive at that age - everything more powerful will have ended my life there....
    This was my dad's philosophy as well. First car was a Mercedes diesel (87 300D Turbo). When that one failed, I got a second, slower/older one (82 300SD) and because it was such a rocket ship, I swapped in a V8 differential into it. 0-60 was measured with a sun dial.

The H6 runs on regular and the older 3.0 H6 was had Premium as "recommended". The older 2.5 Turbo from the Legacy GT/Outback XT, Forester XT, Baja Turbo need premium.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Broken links. Back on topic.
    Last edited by Eretz; 03-18-2018 at 02:42 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's too late to get one, but this would make my list.

Too old to ride plastic

welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Back on topic.
    I didn't mind your Kia Stinger vids, especially since it looks like you're set to buy one.

Let us know how it goes.

welcome to the jungle
    Wow... looks like Ford is all but throwing in the towel on the car market.

They're decided to be pretty much an 'all trucks and SUVs' maker, by choice.

If GM follows suit, finding and buying a new domestic sedan will be difficult, outside of Tesla.

https://qz.com/1262370/ford-will-sto...ers-in-the-us/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I saw that. At least they are keeping the Mustang. I will be disappointed in the lack of a new Focus RS, or the possibility of a Fiesta RS (this would be insane..), but other than that, most of the Ford sedan lineup is meh at best.

welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    I saw that. At least they are keeping the Mustang. I will be disappointed in the lack of a new Focus RS, or the possibility of a Fiesta RS (this would be insane..), but other than that, most of the Ford sedan lineup is meh at best.
    Sigh. Yeah, true. Though I hear the Fusion was pretty decent.

But, even Hyundai seems to be making better 'cars' (as opposed to trucks/SUVs) than Detroit now, so, it's retreat, fall back, run away, give up... whatever they wanna call it.

Short-term, it'll help their margins. Long-term, I think they're painting themselves into a corner. 'Cuz their competitors will simply come for them harder and harder in trucks and SUVs, too.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 13141516 LastLast