Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 141516
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Wow... looks like Ford is all but throwing in the towel on the car market.

They're decided to be pretty much an 'all trucks and SUVs' maker, by choice.
    The news here is ditching the Fusion, surprising...The Taurus and Fiesta were announced as "gone" a long time ago. As best I recall, there is still a need for car companies to meet an overall CAFE number (corporate average fuel economy).

It was my feeling that Ford was pushing the Fiesta and Fusion (great mileage) to help balance the poor average fuel economy of their high volume best selling F-150 trucks. So without these models, what's the plan now? Bet on a continued relaxing of required CAFE numbers? (which has already been tinkered with this year by you know who...)

Also, what happens if gas goes to $4.50 / gallon and everyone abandons trucks / SUVs (again)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Though I hear the Fusion was pretty decent.
    In late 2016 I bought a 17 Fusion Sport. They've done the Sport badge before, but this is the only model that comes with the 2.7L Ecoboost engine, 325hp, 380 lb-ft torque and AWD. All for under $35k. The car isn't the most refined, but it's a lot of grins for the money. Quite a sleeper car, very few people are aware of its capabilities. For some reason I don't get very good gas mileage Makes the V6 Accord that it replaced feel like a grandma's car. Ford announced a few months ago that there wouldn't be a 2019 Sport.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    All for under $35k.
    I think that's the point, Ford wants to base the entire company on making highly profitable vehicles that all sell for OVER $35K in the future. I guess they have conceded the cars to Toyota/Honda etc. which are also made in the USA.

I think they know - they have the truck market locked in, for the same reason Harley Davidson has the bulk of the heavy bike iron market.

The working truck buyers are fiercely loyal to US brands, so the foreign makers will have an uphill battle trying to take this fiercely defended space from Ford, GM, Chrysler.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    It was my feeling that Ford was pushing the Fiesta and Fusion (great mileage) to help balance the poor average fuel economy of their high volume best selling F-150 trucks.

So without these [car] models, what's the plan now? Bet on a continued relaxing of required CAFE numbers? (which has already been tinkered with this year by you know who...)

Also, what happens if gas goes to $4.50 / gallon and everyone abandons trucks / SUVs (again)?
    Great questions, considering that fuel prices are indeed on the rise Ė USA average right now is $2.81/gallon, up from $2.38 at the same time last year Ė and also that, once Trump is gone, there's a good chance that CAFE mileage standards will go back up.

Ford's 'no cars' strategy is great for right now, but could easily wrong-foot the company going forward. Maybe as early as next year, if oil (and thus, gasoline) prices continue on their current upward trajectory.

Finally, if/when any of this comes to pass (very high gasoline prices, strong CAFE mileage standards), and cars come back into fashion, and Ford decides to jump back into that market... WHY would anyone buy a Ford car, knowing that the company hasn't been investing in cars (and thus their offerings are likely to be behind the curve, technologically), and that they don't really believe in them?

Honestly, cars aren't really the problem, at least not primarily. It's been Ford's inability to offer compelling cars Ė outside of the new Mustang, and arguably the Fusion Ė that's the real issue.

Ford's last big hit car was the Taurus, back in the '80s and '90s. Between now and then... pffft.

They even named a car model the Probe, of all things. Guess that proctologist market was considered hawt.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Boobies!
    Great questions, considering that fuel prices are indeed on the rise Ė USA average right now is $2.81/gallon, up from $2.38 at the same time last year
    This surprised me yesterday--I'm barely driving my truck these days, and I had to fill up for the first time since I can't remember $2.73/gal at a "cheap" station in NJ--What?

The 500 was a minor success, and sold decently despite being launched as the recession hit...
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    Bet on a continued relaxing of required CAFE numbers? (which has already been tinkered with this year by you know who...)
    So trying to force everyone into small expensive cars with a 54.5MPG was a good idea back in 2009?

Logically how does that make sense?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post

Good question.
    Last edited by Eretz; 04-29-2018 at 01:03 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    So trying to force everyone into small expensive cars with a 54.5MPG was a good idea back in 2009?

CAFE fuel economy is measured differently from the window sticker, so they weren't really mandating 54.5MPG. Also, CAFE doesn't require small cars. It has different standards for "light trucks", which is what most people a driving these days (i.e. even crossover SUVs). You may recall that the Chrysler PT Cruiser was classified as a "light truck" for CAFE purposes when it was in reality a small hatchback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So 2019 models are out, did you choose something?

#threaddredgefriday

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    So 2019 models are out, did you choose something

#threaddredgefriday
    Some other stuff has come up, so Iím delaying buying Ďtil later this year. Might even go for a Ďlast week of Decemberí strategy, which helped me net a great deal on my current ride.

Just hope there arenít big tariffs on whatever car I choose by then.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    . . and it has AWD so you don't have to keep.
    not really. Itís fake AWD. Itís pure FWD till lots of slip. Even then it canít do over 50% torque to the rear end. The Audi TT/TTS/TTRS can do 60/40 in dynamic mode and up tp 100 if needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    not really. Itís fake AWD. Itís pure FWD till lots of slip. Even then it canít do over 50% torque to the rear end. The Audi TT/TTS/TTRS can do 60/40 in dynamic mode and up tp 100 if needed.
    The 2018 TTRS under regular driving conditions puts 80% of the power to the front wheels. The newer brains and electronics in their AWD system is much better than previous models. I would not call it fake AWD, it is just the evolution of the system. Many AWD implementations are going this route, with eletronic differentials and significant front wheel bias to meet comfort and economy standards when just puttering around town... but floor it.. and the fun begins..

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Ride on. See you next Model Year.
    Last edited by Eretz; 1 Day Ago at 04:47 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    The 2018 TTRS under regular driving conditions puts 80% of the power to the front wheels. The newer brains and electronics in their AWD system is much better than previous models. I would not call it fake AWD, it is just the evolution of the system. Many AWD implementations are going this route, with eletronic differentials and significant front wheel bias to meet comfort and economy standards when just puttering around town... but floor it.. and the fun begins..
    If I go the TT RS route, I'm going to look into one of the Haldex controllers, in hopes of dialing in a little more persistent rear bias.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Neighbor Stamford sold, got-ah love this, $43k and like 13,000 miles.
    Last edited by Eretz; 1 Day Ago at 05:00 PM. Reason: Wrong O.D. Mileage
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 141516