Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    There are lots of choices you need to narrow down what you want from the car. Audi S or RS variants, Mercedes AMG, BMW M, Jag, Porsche. All fit the bill. If you want a drivers car. Tesla is just Tesla. Corvette is either you love or hate but not up to quality of the German choices. Porsche any of the models are fine if you 2013 or newer. Boxster/Cayman really improved with that release. 911s are well 911s. You have lots of research ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    Audi TT RS - $65K and classy, sporty, great looks

yeah but the Vegas yellow for the win. Probably the best performance per dollar out there. Sports cars do lose their novelty quickly when things like friends, luggage and biking are a factor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Correct, and Mercedes has one of the better CPO programs. used to be remainder of warranty (which was 5 years 60k when I bought my CPO C63 in 2010), an additional year and up to 100000k miles. Now I believe it is an additional year unlimited mileage (within reason, read the small print, walking in with 200k miles on the clock will not work). I would have to check that though. I traded my C63 in a year ago.

An off lease E63 S on CPO though, will probably still be over 80k. I found 1 or 2 in my search earlier, CPO but with higher than I would like mileage.
    Since I believe the OP is not looking for a wagon, the E63S sedan would fit better and be within his budget. Classy, sporty and luxury and won't be just another Tesla on the road in the Bay area.

Here's one in Maryland: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/i...HF7GB0GB216405

I still lust over the wagon though.
    Last edited by config; 12-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    Since I believe the OP is not looking for a wagon, the E63S sedan would fit better and be within his budget. Classy, sporty and luxury and won't be just another Tesla on the road in the Bay area.

Here's one in Maryland: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/i...HF7GB0GB216405

I still lust over the wagon though.
    If only I did not have a kid... or a wife.. or two mortgages.. I could live in that car... right...
    Best Sports Car or Luxury Car under K?-roof-rack.jpg
    My old baby.. I miss her dearly.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    How about a Cadillac ATS-V or CTS-V. Should hit both the sporty & luxury criteria.
    See post #8. But, thanks for the rec.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I've always gotten the vibe that Boxsters were the sort of "entry level" Porsche...the mid-life crisis car that your daughter's orthodontist buys just to say he has a Porsche, but wants it to drive like his wife's Honda Accord. In other words, if you're looking for a fun car to drive, my gut says to avoid that particular model.
    The Macan is actually now the entry-level Porsche... they're about $10K cheaper than the Boxster/Cayman. Though I wonder if Porsche is diluting their brand by bringing out a sub-$50K car (SUV, technically).

Check out the Panamera, though I'm not sure on the pricetag of that vehicle.
    It's probably on my list, I do like what I see there. But it is a hair above my preferred budget. Probably more than a hair, given Porsche's usual 'you need $10K in options to get the car you really want' silliness.

We'd get fired if we went more than a block out of the way...plus, we were supposed to keep it under 5mph, so going 25mph and taking it around the block was as "wild" as we got on a joyride. And, it could be completely written off as being in bad traffic and wanting to take a route with slightly fewer cars
    LOLZ. And, too bad.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Hi
    May 2010
    Seconded on the Audi S4/S5. Or the RS if you really wanna go sporty.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Me and Sogno have test-driven an Alfa-Romeo Giulia a couple times and are absolutely smitten. Not the Quadrifoglio, either, just the bread-and-butter model. It's in fierce competition with the Audi A4 to replace our aging Three Series Bimmer. The reason for the indecision is that the Audi, though not quite as visceral & alluring as the Alfa, is absolutely impeccably turned out and will probably be more reliable.
    Have heard incredibly good things about the Giulia.

But, like you, the probable show-stopper for me would be the anticipated reliability. As in, total lack thereof.

Audi A4 is indeed nice, but I keep hearing the bigger Audis are where it's at?

RoadBikeReview Member
    You need to decide what you really want.

If you want fast, you would be hard pressed to find something faster for that sort of money than a C7 Corvette Z06. They are often pretty heavily discounted these days, but hang with exotics costing 3-4x as much. However, a Corvette isn't going to get you much street cred, nor is it really all that interesting of a car at the end of the day.

If you want the speed of the Corvette but want something rare and exotic looking that will make car guys go nuts, look into a Rossion Q1, Noble M400, Ultima GTR, or Superlight SL-C. These are kit cars or semi-kit cars that look wild and exotic, are blisteringly fast, but will be rather rough around the edges and spartan compared to a production car.

If you'd just like something that makes people go "wow", $80k will get you into a Ferrari 360 or 430, a Lambo Gallardo, or an Audi R8. Maintenance will be quite expensive, but you won't see significant depreciation.

If you want to look like a connoisseur/collector, you need to go vintage. I believe $80k still buys a nice Jag E-type. An Alfa Duetto in mint condition should come in a bit under your budget. Some may argue that air-cooled Porsches (pre 1998) are in a bit of a bubble, but I think they are all pretty much classics at this point.

For luxury, Model S is a really cool car to drive, but it's more techy than luxurious (other than being quiet). Honestly, this is probably the best option if you are just looking for "treat yo-self" instead of car-guy fantasy.

$80k will get you into a pretty recent S-class if you want pure luxury, but the depreciation + maintenance will make such a car more expensive than your sports car options.
    Last edited by nealric; 12-18-2017 at 12:40 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Audi A4 is indeed nice, but I keep hearing the bigger Audis are where it's at?]
    It's just my opinion but around here A4s are as common as Outbacks and that makes them seem like "ho-hum" cars. Shoot, even the high school kids are rolling around in older ones with obnoxious exhaust "upgrades".

The only S4 that I've seen belonged to my coworker who bought it used with 99k miles - I'm sure you won't make the same mistake. It was an awesome car but he couldn't afford the 100k service it needed two months after he bought it (he wasn't much of a thinker regarding $).

I do occasionally see an S5 in town (and an R8, for that matter) and that thing looks bad-a**!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I've always gotten the vibe that Boxsters were the sort of "entry level" Porsche...the mid-life crisis car that your daughter's orthodontist buys just to say he has a Porsche, but wants it to drive like his wife's Honda Accord. In other words, if you're looking for a fun car to drive, my gut says to avoid that particular model. Check out the Panamera, though I'm not sure on the pricetag of that vehicle.
    Your gut is wrong in this case. Being light and mid-engined, the Boxter/Cayman (same car, Boxter is the convertible) is going to be much more fun to drive than a Panamera (which is a heavy luxury car rather than a sports car) or even a 911 (which has gotten bigger and heavier over the years). Many Porsche fans feel that Porsche intentionally hobbles the power output in the Boxter/Cayman platform to keep it below the 911 even though it is the superior chassis/layout. You will see plenty of Boxters and Caymans at an autocross or trackday (i.e. the people who actually drive their cars to the limit), but I've never seen a Panamera at a trackday or autocross except as a tow vehicle (they do have surprisingly good towing abilities).

A Cayman GT4 can be found for around $90k and won't depreciate anything like a new Cayman/Boxter- it may actually be cheaper in the long run if you plan on owning the car for a while. It's one of the last of the naturally aspirated high output motors from Porche and many consider it to be one of the best driver's cars ever made.
    Last edited by nealric; 12-18-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Beetpull DeLite
    There's a ton of cars out there. Head to your closest Auto Show, or go to a dealer and drive some; I'm sure you'll quickly figure out which one you want. While I'm not at all in the market for anything fancy, I love looking at and sitting in them, poking buttons. Porsche, Lexus, Volvo, and Jag are impressive. Audi, BMW, at the same price point as the others, not so much. Corvettes are ok if you like sitting in a bathtub and your car looking like a 7th grader's boy-racer wet dream.

Personally, I'd be looking at the Lexus RC or GS, Porsche 911 or Panamera (used due to price), Volvo S90, or a Jag F or XF. Or, as a wild card, a Mustang GT350.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

But, like you, the probable show-stopper for me would be the anticipated reliability. As in, total lack thereof.
    That's why I'm waiting to check out the new Kia Stinger. I've had great success with past Kia and Hyundai vehicles, and you can't beat their 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty. What they lack in snob appeal they more than make up in terms of value.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    How about getting yourself an old Nissan S14, do a LS swap with twin turbos, redo the suspension then put on an aero kit that no one's going to recognize. Your very own Rocket Bunny monster?

Something like this....

Master debator.
    If an Audi TT-RS was in the cards I'd try to lease it, or any other higher end Audi. I just don't trust their reliability.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

I've had, or driven, Audis, Lexi and Acuras, and all of them just mumbled: boring. I'd seriously look at the Giulia, and wouldn't be terribly concerned about reliability. All cars have gotten much more reliable (except for the entertainment electronics) the last few years, and the Giulia's reported reliability isn't bad. (And don't you already have a reliable, boring car that you're going to keep?) I really liked the Cayman, but would need a valet to get me out of the car upon arrival.

Have fun shopping...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    How about getting yourself an old Nissan S14, do a LS swap with twin turbos, redo the suspension then put on an aero kit that no one's going to recognize. Your very own Rocket Bunny monster?

Something like this....
    I'm guessing that there is a little more involved.. and a **** ton more money than he is willing to spend.. the body work alone on that looks to be around 20 to 30k easy...

Russian Troll Farmer
    If you REALLY want a sorts car, an Alfa-Romeo 4c is around that pricepoint.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    The Kia Stinger is definitely a lot of bang for the buck, but if you've got an 80k budget then you can get a lot more refinement at 60k (and probably more performance) than a loaded Stinger at 50k.

No one has mentioned an M3? Are those now passé?

OP, would you consider buying used? (CPO of course) You could get a really low mileage 2016 Corvette Z06 in your price range. And I hear that used Corvettes are great deals. The old men who were previous owners typically baby them and brag about the gas mileage they get. You'd have supercar performance. And BMW and Mercedes supposedly have great CPO programs as well, which could be worth looking into.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I forgot my on-crack suggestion -

Just spend it on H&B. You'll end up dying about the same time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    OP, would you consider buying used? (CPO of course) You could get a really low mileage 2016 Corvette Z06 in your price range. And I hear that used Corvettes are great deals. The old men who were previous owners typically baby them and brag about the gas mileage they get. You'd have supercar performance. And BMW and Mercedes supposedly have great CPO programs as well, which could be worth looking into.
    Speaking as an old man Corvette owner I can attest to this. At least I drive mine though. I really think a Z06 is overkill, not that it would prevent me buying one.

But just think about it. Not that long ago (the C4 era), Chevy were struggling to get a 300 HP engine for the Vette, and when they got one it was the king of the hill. Now it's 460 HP in the regular car. Even with the 325 tires on my C6 GS with "only" 426 HP it's a challenge to drive. Especially on cold tires. What's the Z06 - 650 HP? Insanity.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 12-18-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I forgot my on-crack suggestion -

Just spend it on H&B. You'll end up dying about the same time.
    aka 'the Charlie Sheen lifestyle'.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    If you REALLY want a sorts car, an Alfa-Romeo 4c is around that pricepoint.
    I sit inside the Alfa 4c every time I visit the neighborhood Alfa dealer, which is more often than I'd like to admit . It's mouthwateringly beautiful, and the amount of carbon fiber that surrounds you when you sit in it is enough to make a lugged steel/titanium aficionado want to hurl . The trouble is, I can't see out of the vehicle to save my life when I finally manage to rappel down into the seat. As for the seat itself, it's not only pretty much nonadjustable, it's uncomfortable as holy hell.
    Last edited by Mapei; 12-18-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!

Audi A4 Quattro. Not the front wheel drive one.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    Your gut is wrong in this case. Being light and mid-engined, the Boxter/Cayman (same car, Boxter is the convertible) is going to be much more fun to drive than a Panamera (which is a heavy luxury car rather than a sports car) or even a 911 (which has gotten bigger and heavier over the years). Many Porsche fans feel that Porsche intentionally hobbles the power output in the Boxter/Cayman platform to keep it below the 911 even though it is the superior chassis/layout. You will see plenty of Boxters and Caymans at an autocross or trackday (i.e. the people who actually drive their cars to the limit), but I've never seen a Panamera at a trackday or autocross except as a tow vehicle (they do have surprisingly good towing abilities).

A Cayman GT4 can be found for around $90k and won't depreciate anything like a new Cayman/Boxter- it may actually be cheaper in the long run if you plan on owning the car for a while. It's one of the last of the naturally aspirated high output motors from Porche and many consider it to be one of the best driver's cars ever made.
    (is it Boxster or Boxter?)

I used to have a poster up on my wall of a Boxster...right alongside a Plymouth Prowler, some odd local racers, and a buttload of hockey posters (Mark Messier and Brett Hull, side-by-side, with the Red Wing's Russian 5, and a cutout of Chris Osgood).

Anyway, I'd love to pick up a Prowler somewhere along the line. It's got the same engine as my old Intrepid, which blew up regularly and taught me to be a mechanic, so I'm not afraid of it anymore

But that's getting off from the topic at hand...

What about a nice hopped-up Mustang? Your local Ford dealer should be able to order/build a tricked-out Roush or Steeda Mustang within the price parameters set above.

If you're set on a Euro import, I cannot emphasize enough how intuitive a Jaguar is to drive...Most cars that I've driven require effort; you realize you're driving a vehicle, even a higher-end Mercedes or BMW. They're smooth and they're fun, but they're not as all-enveloping as a Jaguar. You think, and the Jag goes. Plus, you can put on your best Jezza accent and call it a Jag-you-er. And, as we all know, British Racing Green is a superior color to all others (as featured on my bike).
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast