Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Custom Title= ?
    I am partial to Audi.
    Had this S5 since new. For the same reason as the OP: self indulgence.
    More of a nice ride than sporty. Solid; no squeaks, rattles, nothin.

If I had to buy a car today, the TTRS.
    2.5 liter 5 cylinder that makes ~400 Hp, AWD in a <3300 lb car.
    Considerably sportier than the S5....

Best Sports Car or Luxury Car under K?-audi_s5_3818.1.jpg
    Qh6+!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Skip the Boxster/Cayman and go for a lightly used 911. I've been looking at 997s but am waiting til the 991 drops a bit more in price.

My wife has a new XC60 T6 and I may go for an Allroad soon, but I wouldn't spend more than $50k on a Volvo or an Audi.

The Mustang GT just got bumped to 460hp and is hard to beat for the money. I think they may do a new 50th anniversary Bullitt version for 2018.

I could never own a Vette.

Tesla technology is impressive but has a the build quality of a Mazda.

Anyway for my money I'd say drive a Mustang GT til you can afford a 911.

a real member's member
    if i had $80k to spend on a sports car, i would buy another '93 968 black 6-speed coupe with low miles and then spend the remaining $60k on hookers and blow.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

I make Eagles fly
    Not mentioned yet, the Lexus GSf or RCf. Both great cars, lower my cost , fast, and luxury.

The Tesla would also be high on my list, but I like the more sporty appeal of the Lexus
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    if i had $80k to spend on a sports car, i would buy another '93 968 black 6-speed coupe with low miles and then spend the remaining $60k on hookers and blow.
    Yah, decent plan... but if I did that, I'd probably crash the car due to all the H&B I wuz doin' while drivin'.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Welcome to the jungle
    btw, does no one else here like roadsters (aka convertibles aka spyders)?

Am not seeing many suggestions along those lines. Is it just that the Boxster pretty much owns the $40-80K convertible segment outright?

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Alfa Giulia.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    btw, does no one else here like roadsters (aka convertibles aka spyders)?

Am not seeing many suggestions along those lines. Is it just that the Boxster pretty much owns the $40-80K convertible segment outright?

Ah, roadsters. Being a trifle elderly, I've had, driven, and been chauffeured around in my share. Speak Memory!

I owned a 1968 Fiat 850 Spyder. My cousin had a 1966 MGB, complete with non-synchro first gear and a top you took apart and stored in the trunk. I learned how to drive a stick shift in that car. I spent many an hour scrunched into the storage space behind the seats, being driven up PCH. My cousin later had an Alfa 1750 Spyder. Naturally, I took it out, a couple times. It made me a forever Alfa-Romeo fan. My cousin also thrashed his way through two or three Fiat 124 Spyders. He could afford to do this. He was a lawyer and no dependents. He had a Porsche-VW 914 and a couple 911's. I drove the Alfa 1750 Spyder owned by my sister's boyfriend.

My uncle had a 1966 Mercedes Benz 280 SL convertible, automatic of course. Power steering!

My dad went through five Jaguar E Type convertibles, a new one every two years (they only lasted two years). No power steering and a beotch to park but totally great steering feedback. The first two had a non-synchro first, as well. Sogno drove an MGB for a while, with one of them new-fangled first gear synchro thangs.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I sit inside the Alfa 4c every time I visit the neighborhood Alfa dealer, which is more often than I'd like to admit . It's mouthwateringly beautiful, and the amount of carbon fiber that surrounds you when you sit in it is enough to make a lugged steel/titanium aficionado want to hurl .

The trouble is, I can't see out of the vehicle to save my life when I finally manage to rappel down into the seat. As for the seat itself, it's not only pretty much nonadjustable, it's uncomfortable as holy hell.
    Interesting.

The Alfa Romeo 4C Will Get a Big Update Next Year

gazing from the shadows
    Critical question no one has yet asked...are you at all concerned with what other people think about the size of your *ahem*?

Which gives you more pleasure depends on your driving. The lux sedans will be great for hauling long distances, and a bit of turns on occasion and reasonable speeds. This is the way to go if you want a car to go places in. Run up to Tahoe much? Think 5 hours + of driving. The way to choose this type of car is to sit in one and drive for a few minutes. Pick the one that feels the best when you are in the seat.

Sports cars are about driving, zoom zoom, hard corning, and maybe even a track day on occasion. On one end of the spectrum would be the 911. Depending on model, very very fast, handles well, and you can stop for some groceries on your way home. It is very sporty, but with a bit of practicality. On the other end would be things like the ariel atom, which is really not practical at all, but supposedly quite a hoot. Choose this type of car by the smile it puts on your face when you do things you should not do on a test drive.

I would probably go replica cobra myself. Pure fun category to drive, very eye catching even when sitting still. That's not my advice to you (but you might consider resto-mods), just what would be a great toy for me.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuj[quote

And, as we all know, British Racing Green is a superior color to all others (as featured on my bike).
    The Mini Clubman S ALL4 we bought was the first car we ever configured (and then waited 8 weeks for). British racing green with white roof. So I concur with your assessment.

Seat's not level
    Boxters are the wimmins porsche...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Boxters are the wimmins porsche...
    I learnt it here

We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I have one of the early Tesla standard 85’s (5 years old next March) and still love it. You will be hard pressed to come in under $80k on one I think, although I haven’t checked pricing on the 70 kWh versions. Mine is the all around family car; road trip car, throw the bike in the back, etc. The acceleration of course is well known, the handling is good, especially considering it’s such a big, heavy car. It doesn’t fit the bill as a flashy sports car though. If you decide to buy one, send me a PM. Tesla has a referral program and I can send you a link that saves you $1000 or something like that. Service program BTW kicks ass.

A buddy of mine, a car guy, has an M3 and he loves it. He takes it in the track from time to time. It has a nice engine noise, paddle shifters and what not.

I will also place a vote for the AR Giulia on looks alone, no personal experience. The roadster doesn’t appeal to me as much, but like the looks of the F Type.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    Alfa Giulia.
    He wants a working car!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    He wants a working car!
    It doesn't sound like it's going to be a daily driver, and a new one will at least have a warranty.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Sports cars are about driving, zoom zoom, hard corning, and maybe even a track day on occasion.
    Thanks Q, but if it's all the same to you, I would very much prefer to avoid the 'hard corning'.

(who makes your car anyway, Prison Motors Inc?)

Welcome to the jungle
    Meanwhile, the RBR ad machine (Google ads?) is now hitting me with a bunch of pitches for the MINI Cooper convertible.

Halp!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Meanwhile, the RBR ad machine (Google ads?) is now hitting me with a bunch of pitches for the MINI Cooper convertible.

Halp!

I'm seeing Porsches. It's better then the snow tires and woks I had for the past month.

Welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki
    He wants a working car!
    LOL, yes, that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    It doesn't sound like it's going to be a daily driver, and a new one will at least have a warranty.
    Eh, either way. It *might* be a daily driver, at least three seasons out of the year (i.e. roadster in the winter = brrrr).

And if it's a lux sedan, probably it's going to be more fun to drive around than my Subie... so the AWD Subie would then be relegated to hauling stuff and bad weather drivin'. Oh, and for when primary car is in the shop (*squints disapprovingly at Italian car brands and anything Chrysler*).

sidenote: This thread is already over 1,000 views... RBR is somehow a 'car guy' forum it seems.

But we all already knew that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

Halp!

That might be my fault lol.. as a Mini owner...

My ads.. Liberty Mutual Insurance... wonder if they are trying to tell me something :P

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    BTW Tesla has AWD option and an air suspension so you can raise it up on snow days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm amazed no one has mentioned BMW (unless I missed it)

(not a fan myself but shows how far they have fallen)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    I'm amazed no one has mentioned BMW (unless I missed it)

(not a fan myself but shows how far they have fallen)
    I've done a track day in an F80 M3. It's extremely competent- probably one of the best daily driveable cars with 4 seats that can still hold its own on a track without any modification. However, it's paradoxically not all that exciting or special feeling. The F80 is on its 4th model year with the current design, which may be one reason people tend not to mention it.

I've also autocrossed an M2, which has some charms but ultimately did not impress me as much from a performance standpoint- it felt a big step down in refinement and the motor just didn't feel nearly as lively.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Get about 8 or 9 Nissan Versas. You could get all different colors. Maybe take some fluorescent Krylon spray cans to a couple of them. Make one of them a demolition mobile, spot weld some angle iron reinforcements on the front and back. And, if you happen to be the one who started the thread a few months ago on how to annoy your neighbors, this is FTW!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast