Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast
    Fake President

Best Sports Car or Luxury Car under $80K?

I'ma gonna go car shopping in 2018. When in 2018, I don't know. But it's happening.

This one will be the first really nice car I've ever owned. I've been adamantly frugal to this point (my current ride is good, but was $23K out-the-door)... but, I'm starting to realize, 'hey, life is short'. You should allow yourself what you really want once in awhile.

I'm looking at both luxury/near-luxury sedans and also sports cars. Absolutely do not want an SUV**. Budget is about $80k, though I'll happily spend less.

Current front runners are the base Porsche Boxster (sports car), and the Tesla Model S (lux sedan).

This forum seems to have lots of car guys on it, so, suggestions? What's awesome in these categories, both now and in the very near future?

Bonus points if you have actual experience with the cars you're suggesting.

Oh, and make some on-crack suggestions too. After all, 'tis teh Lownge.

**Edit – NO WAGONS either. Really.

Last edited by SystemShock; 12-18-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Cat 6
    Well, you'd be hard pressed to beat a Tesla although my buddy has one and the fit/finish after a few years is not great (lots of loose bits).

Regardless, seems like there are a lot of options in that range...BMW, Lexus, etc. I have a stupid affinity for the Charger Hellcat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Dodge Demon I'll come up with more serious options later

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    If I had the money I'd go for a Volvo V60 Polestar. But I like sporty wagons and European cars while others may not.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Teslas are so much less douchey than Boxsters. Have you considered something like the Cadillac CTS? Those are a fun drive. I test-drove one a number of years ago when Bicycling Magazine was doing a promo, so I got to drive it for around an hour on some fun backroads (just to get the promotional code for a free bike jersey).

Another consideration...I've always found Jaguars to be a lot more fun to drive than comparable BMW's or Mercedes.

(I've driven all of the above in the capacity of 15-25mph through a parking garage and around the block as a valet).
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    If I had the money I'd go for a Volvo V60 Polestar. But I like sporty wagons and European cars while others may not.
    My bad... I should've said 'no wagons', too. Though there are definitely some sexy ones out there, like the Panamera Sport Turismo.

But I do like European cars. Or, at least, I don't have anything against 'em.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Me too! Our daily driver is a Volvo V70R with 197K miles on it. Absolutely love it but it would be nice to have this: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...E/model-E63S4S
    Enough room to carry 3 of my buddies and all of our golf bags (and I don't even play golf).

Well it really depends on what your plans are for the vehicle. If it's a daily driver, Porsche Boxter or 911 is a bit impractical. A Tesla Model S would suit better. For long drives, I'd go with the Porsche.

Test drove the Model S a couple times and IMHO there is nothing out there that compares technologically, and the acceleration is intoxicating! Although I'm not a big fan of their interior, a bit flat for my taste. The deal killer was it being all-electric. We use our nicer vehicle for long drives and even if I carefully planned every detail of each trip, the longer charging time would put my (lack of) patience to the limit and with my luck, I would pull up to a Tesla super charging station after driving 200+ miles only to find ourselves #3 or #4 in line.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Teslas are so much less douchey than Boxsters.
    Aww, crap. Is there a douche-vibe associated with Boxsters, specifically? Or is it just a general 'Porsche' thing?

I actually don't know, since I'm in the middle of the Silicon Valley, i.e. expensive car central. These folks aren't very self-aware, and it rubs off.

Have you considered something like the Cadillac CTS? Those are a fun drive.
    My brother has one. He loves it, I only like it. It's pretty nice, but not quite my personal style. Looks a little boxy to me.

Another consideration...I've always found Jaguars to be a lot more fun to drive than comparable BMW's or Mercedes.
    Brother-in-law has an F-Type. Sexy exterior (feels like they poached an Aston Martin designer), great and loud exhaust note. But Jags have infamously poor build quality/reliability. And he'd probably think I was copying him somehow.

(I've driven all of the above in the capacity of 15-25mph through a parking garage and around the block as a valet).
    Don't valets sometimes take hot cars out for joy rides?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    What type of car are you looking for? There's a big difference in terms of functionality between a boxster and a Tesla-S. Is a two-seat sports car going to serve your needs? Do you want or need a back seat? Do you need cargo capacity? Etc.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    What type of car are you looking for? There's a big difference in terms of functionality between a boxster and a Tesla-S. Is a two-seat sports car going to serve your needs? Do you want or need a back seat? Do you need cargo capacity? Etc.
    I've already got an AWD Subaru hatch for when I need practicality, so I can go either sports car or lux sedan.

It's kinda all about which one blows up my skirt more... a hawt sports car, or a 'Do you have any grey poupon?' luxury sports sedan.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Aww, crap. Is there a douche-vibe associated with Boxsters, specifically? Or is it just a general 'Porsche' thing?

I actually don't know, since I'm in the middle of the Silicon Valley, i.e. expensive car central. These folks aren't very self-aware, and it rubs off.

My brother has one. He loves it, I only like it. It's pretty nice, but not quite my personal style. Looks a little boxy to me.

Brother-in-law has an F-Type. Sexy exterior (feels like they poached an Aston Martin designer), great and loud exhaust note. But Jags have infamously poor build quality/reliability. And he'd probably think I was copying him somehow.

Don't valets sometimes take hot cars out for joy rides?

I've always gotten the vibe that Boxsters were the sort of "entry level" Porsche...the mid-life crisis car that your daughter's orthodontist buys just to say he has a Porsche, but wants it to drive like his wife's Honda Accord. In other words, if you're looking for a fun car to drive, my gut says to avoid that particular model. Check out the Panamera, though I'm not sure on the pricetag of that vehicle.

We'd get fired if we went more than a block out of the way...plus, we were supposed to keep it under 5mph, so going 25mph and taking it around the block was as "wild" as we got on a joyride. And, it could be completely written off as being in bad traffic and wanting to take a route with slightly fewer cars
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    AMG C63 Wagon (not in the US), and AMG E63 Wagon (can be purchased in the US).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    My bad... I should've said 'no wagons', too. Though there are definitely some sexy ones out there, like the Panamera Sport Turismo.

But I do like European cars. Or, at least, I don't have anything against 'em.

What about a minivan.. Mercedes AMG R63.. minivan with 500hp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Audi TT RS - $65K and classy, sporty, great looks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Or the original from these shores - Corvette - starting at $55K
    Exotic looks and performance but a deal compared to Ferrari

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    Audi TT RS - $65K and classy, sporty, great looks
    Ditto on that! I saw a slightly used one in my town for $50k at a time when I had some inheritance to play with. It was very tempting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought a lightly used C6 Corvette GS convertible a year ago and it's really impressed me with how good it is.

So, a nice C7 (I reccomend the GS, 2LT minimum), should fall within your budget. I like the grey.

Best Sports Car or Luxury Car under K?-cm9nmmnujvhdvoi9pcrj.jpg
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    AMG C63 Wagon (not in the US), and AMG E63 Wagon (can be purchased in the US).
    Besides being a (veeery sexy) wagon it's over the OP's $80k pricetag. And WAY over mine.

We settled for a 2017 VW Alltrack and have been really happy with it so far.

Neophyte
    The Kia Stinger is going to be pretty cool. Not joking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    It's kinda all about which one blows up my skirt more... a hawt sports car, or a 'Do you have any grey poupon?' luxury sports sedan.
    How about a Cadillac ATS-V or CTS-V. Should hit both the sporty & luxury criteria.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    not really a Porsche fanboi, but if you're leery of the Boxster being douchey, maybe a Cayman S would be less so...not sure tho.

you mostly need to pick a type of vehicle, you're kinda all over the place with a sports car vs lux sedan.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Besides being a (veeery sexy) wagon it's over the OP's $80k pricetag. And WAY over mine.

We settled for a 2017 VW Alltrack and have been really happy with it so far.
    Many E63S wagons are coming off lease. I believe Youtuber Doug DeMuro bought one. Me personally would not purchase a new one,
    Last edited by config; 12-18-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Me and Sogno have test-driven an Alfa-Romeo Giulia a couple times and are absolutely smitten. Not the Quadrifoglio, either, just the bread-and-butter model. It's in fierce competition with the Audi A4 to replace our aging Three Series Bimmer. The reason for the indecision is that the Audi, though not quite as visceral & alluring as the Alfa, is absolutely impeccably turned out and will probably be more reliable.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    Many E63S wagons are coming off lease. I believe Youtuber Doug DeMuro bought one. Used would be the way to go for me.
    Correct, and Mercedes has one of the better CPO programs. used to be remainder of warranty (which was 5 years 60k when I bought my CPO C63 in 2010), an additional year and up to 100000k miles. Now I believe it is an additional year unlimited mileage (within reason, read the small print, walking in with 200k miles on the clock will not work). I would have to check that though. I traded my C63 in a year ago.

An off lease E63 S on CPO though, will probably still be over 80k. I found 1 or 2 in my search earlier, CPO but with higher than I would like mileage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    not really a Porsche fanboi, but if you're leery of the Boxster being douchey, maybe a Cayman S would be less so...not sure tho.

you mostly need to pick a type of vehicle, you're kinda all over the place with a sports car vs lux sedan.
    I am not a Porsche fan (except the 918, and of course the 911 RS or GT3).

The Boxster is a crappy poor mans Porsche, and the design is iffy to me. If you had to get one, get the GTS, it's a phenomenal performer, and will leave a smile on your face if you can get past the looks.

Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast