Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Bourbon am I doing it right ?

Wife bought me a bottle of Woodford Reserve and Angel's Envy for muh birthday.Was never a huge fan of the stuff till recently.I enjoy it with a splash of H2O or a couple of ice cubes couple times a week after work or when the spawn drives me nuts.Always looking for good suggestions to indulge in so if the Lounge could be so generous I'd like to see your opinions and suggestions.

Fecal indicator
    ice and/or water are acceptable.

Diet Mt. Dew is not.
    eff all y'all...

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I loves me some bourbon on the rocks.

Giggidy.

If you're interested in some manly, not-too-fruity drink recipes, PM me...I've got a few that go splendidly with bourbon.

hold my beer n watch this

Bourbon am I doing it right ?

Neat, ice, cold rock cube, and occasionally ginger ale.
    So no matter who you are, what you look like, or how far you think you are from your goal kit up and get started. Your friends are out there, waiting for you.

Not Banned
    typically you don't use water in a small batch bourbon unless it is high proof
    2 ice cubes is typically enough
    in summer I'll add a splash of soda water to the ice and a lemon twist to Makers Mark for a lovely hot day drink
    I just got Bourbon for my B Day too!
    Pappy Van Winkle and Noah's Mill
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Bourbon am I doing it right ?

Generally a little ice or water. But if you want something lighter, soda or tonic works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I'll probably get thrashed for this, but i really like me a little woodford and coke!

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wilde737 View Post
    I'll probably get thrashed for this, but i really like me a little woodford and coke!
    this is a troll right?

no person in their right mind would use good bourbon with soda pop

if you want to mix with coke, just use Jim Beam. Don't bury good booze in sugar and crap. Using good Bourbon with soda pop is pissing money away

so yes, you'll get trashed

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    A nice big, slow-melting hunk of ice is nice. There are also tons of really tasty, not sugary or fruity, drinks that showcase bourbon nicely. I actually tried and enjoyed one last night. I made a batch of homemade orgeat and used it in an Attorney Privilege (2 oz bourbon, 1/2 oz orgeat, 2-3 dashes angostura bitters stirred with ice, strained and hit with a lemon peel twist). It's a twist on the Japanese, which is the same drink with brandy or cognac instead of bourbon. The bourbon Old Fashioned (a real one, not one of those things with all the muddled fruit) is always a good way to go. The Lion's Tail is another really good one (2 oz bourbon, 1/2 oz allspice dram, 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, 1 tsp simple syrup and 1 dash angostura bitters).
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    no person in their right mind would use good bourbon with soda pop
    I'm going to disagree with this. While I wouldn't want to mix a good bourbon with coke myself, a person in their right mind drinks, eats, listens to, reads, etc. what they personally like... no matter what somebody else thinks about it.
    - 10ae1203

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    A nice big, slow-melting hunk of ice is nice. There are also tons of really tasty, not sugary or fruity, drinks that showcase bourbon nicely. I actually tried and enjoyed one last night. I made a batch of homemade orgeat and used it in an Attorney Privilege (2 oz bourbon, 1/2 oz orgeat, 2-3 dashes angostura bitters stirred with ice, strained and hit with a lemon peel twist). It's a twist on the Japanese, which is the same drink with brandy or cognac instead of bourbon. The bourbon Old Fashioned (a real one, not one of those things with all the muddled fruit) is always a good way to go. The Lion's Tail is another really good one (2 oz bourbon, 1/2 oz allspice dram, 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, 1 tsp simple syrup and 1 dash angostura bitters).
    hell a good manhattan is nice as is a mint julep on Derby Day or a Whisky Sour. You don't use good bourbon to make them. I love a good Old Fashioned

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    hell a good manhattan is nice as is a mint julep on Derby Day or a Whisky Sour. You don't use good bourbon to make them. I love a good Old Fashioned
    Yes I do use good bourbon to make them. Using lower quality with the reasoning of it being mixed is the quick path to mediocrity. Good can only come out if good goes in.
    - 10ae1203

Beetpull DeLite
    Just like how I drink my coffee and tea - strong with nothing else in it. Stuff like coconut rum and vanilla vodka are for mixing. Well, that and Death in the Afternoon.

And the cheap bourbon is for chili and candy. Maker's Mark is bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

I'm going to disagree with this. While I wouldn't want to mix a good bourbon with coke myself, a person in their right mind drinks, eats, listens to, reads, etc. what they personally like... no matter what somebody else thinks about it.
    Makes sense on an expense account. I worked with a lawyer that would drink Baker's and coke. Yes. The rest of us laughed at him.

Not Banned
    Yes I do use good bourbon to make them. Using lower quality with the reasoning of it being mixed is the quick path to mediocrity. Good can only come out if good goes in.
    there are plenty of quality mid priced Bourbons to make cocktails, Makers Mark being a great one. Typically it is why you have a well in a bar. So I don't use crap booze (personally for anything) but I don't use quality sipping whiskey to mix anything

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Makes sense on an expense account. I worked with a lawyer that would drink Baker's and coke. Yes. The rest of us laughed at him.
    jeezus what a waste of Bakers, I'd have brought him a frilly pink tutu and a dunce cap

if you don't enjoy the flavor of a quality distilled spirit don't drink it

if you want to bury the booze in soda pop or juice become a vodka drinker

Not Banned
    and might I add. the Noah's Mill is fricking lovely (not as good as Pappy) and pretty smooth for 114 proof

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sure but ATP is right. Complete waste of money mixing premium booze and soda. Use the cheap stuff and you will NEVER know the difference. Or piss away your money. No offense.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    X, but thank for playing.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    jeezus what a waste of Bakers, I'd have brought him a frilly pink tutu and a dunce cap

Using top shelf spirits in college bar/TGIMcFunster type drinks would definitely be a waste (although I'd still argue it's not wrong, it's that person's money buying the drink and it causes no harm to your drink) but there are so many drinks where the base spirit is the star with ingredients added that merely enhance or focus aspects of that spirit. A (real, Trader Vic's style) Mai Tai has two rums, curacao, lime, orgeat and simple. A fairly long ingredient list. Make one with well rums and curacao then make one with top shelf rums and Cointreau or Pierre Ferrand and tell me the top shelf version was a waste of quality ingredients. Just for the record, I'm not trying to convince you to use top shelf spirits in your drinks, I'm just arguing that it's not deserving of ridicule if others do. I think a burger made with really good quality beef is best enjoyed without being soaked in condiments but I wouldn't call someone else an idiot because they like ketchup and mustard on theirs.
    - 10ae1203

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
    Sure but ATP is right. Complete waste of money mixing premium booze and soda. Use the cheap stuff and you will NEVER know the difference. Or piss away your money. No offense.
    Maybe it's the type of drinks we're talking about. I promise you I can tell the difference between top shelf and well spirits in the majority of the types of drinks and cocktails I usually drink.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

You have to learn the lawyers pick up the checks. ;).

He can have his Bakers and coke. I will then take a laphroig with one rock.

Not Banned
    Using top shelf spirits in college bar/TGIMcFunster type drinks would definitely be a waste (although I'd still argue it's not wrong, it's that person's money buying the drink and it causes no harm to your drink) but there are so many drinks where the base spirit is the star with ingredients added that merely enhance or focus aspects of that spirit. A (real, Trader Vic's style) Mai Tai has two rums, curacao, lime, orgeat and simple. A fairly long ingredient list. Make one with well rums and curacao then make one with top shelf rums and Cointreau or Pierre Ferrand and tell me the top shelf version was a waste of quality ingredients. Just for the record, I'm not trying to convince you to use top shelf spirits in your drinks, I'm just arguing that it's not deserving of ridicule if others do. I think a burger made with really good quality beef is best enjoyed without being soaked in condiments but I wouldn't call someone else an idiot because they like ketchup and mustard on theirs.
    like making a Margarita that uses Grand Marnier, I get that part
    I understand all that, but an Old Fashioned made with small batch is not needed, a mid grade will do jut fine

see this is where we differ, I would call someone who ruins a good piece of meat with a bunch of sauce / ketchup an idiot
    they are free to make bad decisions, I am free to call them stupid
    does it affect me? nope. Still gonna call it like it is
    Last edited by atpjunkie; 01-24-2013 at 06:51 AM.

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksl316 View Post
    Wife bought me a bottle of Woodford Reserve and Angel's Envy for muh birthday.Was never a huge fan of the stuff till recently.I enjoy it with a splash of H2O or a couple of ice cubes couple times a week after work or when the spawn drives me nuts.Always looking for good suggestions to indulge in so if the Lounge could be so generous I'd like to see your opinions and suggestions.
    Bourbon + ice = doin' it right.

RoadBikeReview Member

Now you talking about tow different things. Using cointreau over triple sec is a whole another story. That I agree with. But use say Bacardi white and myers dark as normal, compared to a Ron Something? 12 yr Guatemalan rum over Myers or Rum Cay, know you won't.
    The ONLY, ONLY thing I will agree with is using real top Tequilla over the cheap stuff. But thats not about taste. That's about the next day, your stomach and your life, LOL!

Yes, I would and always use the higher end mixer booze with any drink I make. But you base rum, scotch, whisky, bourbon, vodka, Gin (maybe), etc. no. I grew up in restaurants and bartendered for years. Gut like you is wear some people would make their night with. Serve the cheap crap after you ordered the high end stuff and watch you as you never noticed. Happens in every club, restaurant, etc everyday. Oh, and PLEASE don't tell me you watch them pour it. Unless you say the bottle being opened, they will marry the left over well into a half bottle of premium stuff to make more money or save money. Why i never dirnk the good stuff outside of my house, or unless we get bottle service.
    DIRT BOY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast