RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Bourbon Chat: Jim Beam Black vs. White label

Greetings!

Since the wifey just got a big raise, whilst shopping at the ol' Hoggly-Woggly last Sunday, I snuck a bottle of Jim Beam Black Label bourbon in the cart, as I am hoping to become acquainted with the finer things in life in accord with our newly elevated socio-economic status. Much to my surprise, upon tasting said libation, I not only did not like it any better than the regular Jim Beam "white label" bourbon, I think I like it less than the cheaper stuff.

This could simply be proof positive that middle-aged ex-patriated Texans are terrible judges of fine bourbon. Or, could it be that the 8 year old stuff is not necessarily any better than the 3 year old stuff? If I had to specify the reason I like regular white label Beam better, I'd say it is redolent with hints of oak, cinnamon, and cloves. Of course, that could just be the booze talking!

Please discuss.

Dale ("Since 1970, A Dad-Gum Liberal Liar")

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Brigham
    Greetings!

Since the wifey just got a big raise, whilst shopping at the ol' Hoggly-Woggly last Sunday, I snuck a bottle of Jim Beam Black Label bourbon in the cart, as I am hoping to become acquainted with the finer things in life in accord with our newly elevated socio-economic status. Much to my surprise, upon tasting said libation, I not only did not like it any better than the regular Jim Beam "white label" bourbon, I think I like it less than the cheaper stuff.

This could simply be proof positive that middle-aged ex-patriated Texans are terrible judges of fine bourbon. Or, could it be that the 8 year old stuff is not necessarily any better than the 3 year old stuff? If I had to specify the reason I like regular white label Beam better, I'd say it is redolent with hints of oak, cinnamon, and cloves. Of course, that could just be the booze talking!

Please discuss.

Dale ("Since 1970, A Dad-Gum Liberal Liar")
    You didn't really take a step up. Black is not significantly, if at all, better than white. It's a bit higher proof, which (in my expereince) tastes different simply because of the higher alcolhol content.

If you like Beam -- and I do, very much -- you'd need to REALLY splurge to get the best they have to offer. Try this, if you want to piss away 60 bucks of your wife's windfall profuts:

http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/mb311504.html

I like it, it's good, but not 60 bucks good, to me.

In my mind, Beam white is the perfect everyday Bourbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott
    You didn't really take a step up. Black is not significantly, if at all, better than white. It's a bit higher proof, which (in my expereince) tastes different simply because of the higher alcolhol content.

If you like Beam -- and I do, very much -- you'd need to REALLY splurge to get the best they have to offer. Try this, if you want to piss away 60 bucks of your wife's windfall profuts:

http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/mb311504.html

I like it, it's good, but not 60 bucks good, to me.

In my mind, Beam white is the perfect everyday Bourbon.
    thanks alot ed, now it is your fault that I will not get any work done this afternoon, you could have warned that they also sell beer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Best cheap bourbon is Evan Williams IMO. Cheaper and better than Beam.

Not Banned

Bookers is real good

Bakers is real good, Basil Hayden's quite tasty, especially for a lower wheat Bourbon.
    Knob Creek leans a tad too much toward Sour Mash for my palette.
    agreed with ole Ed, regular White Label a fine everyday drinker. My other everyday is Makers Mark as I like its refreshing wheatiness (plus makes a great Julep)
    when I go upscale I'm all about Pappy Van Winkle.
    ed you drinkin' Bookers with branch water, over or neat?
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    Bakers is real good, Basil Hayden's quite tasty, especially for a lower wheat Bourbon.
    agreed with ole Ed, regular White Label a fine everyday drinker. My other everyday is Makers Mark as I like its refreshing wheatiness (plus makes a great Julep)
    With GOOD branch, from my own branch. I get my water from a spring.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    Bourbon is all well and good, but if I'm gonna drink whisky it's usually scotch. Bourbon mixes nice with Coke though.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Bourbon is all well and good, but if I'm gonna drink whisky it's usually scotch. Bourbon mixes nice with Coke though.
    Now you went and did it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    and great boilermakers, though it is usually the beer that makes the drink great.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    Now you went and did it...
    Aw, I ain't a snob. Some people LIKE rubbing alcohol. Some people like cough syrup. To each his own, eh?

Not Banned

I'd drink Scotch

if I really enjoyed the taste of dirt and since it's all aged in old bourbon barrels and since I'm 'merican I drink 'merican whisk(e)y.

Good Bourbon is not to be mixed with anything other than h20. why pollute such a fine spirit with juice or soda pop?

Though I refer to the Bourbon and Coke as The Kentucky Speedball (Sugar, Caffeine, Booze and Ice: which means it has the 4 major food groups to me) it is only to be used with cheaper bourbons and wouldnot be classified as a 'gentlemans beverage',
    leave the mixin' for the Vodka Drinkers
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aw, I ain't a snob. Some people LIKE rubbing alcohol. Some people like cough syrup. To each his own, eh?
    I just associate mixing hard alcohol with Coke with being 15 and taking an inch off every booze bottle in the parent's liquor cabinet and mixing that concoction with Coke and then drinking til barfing.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Small Batch - Bakers

My favorite of the Jim Beam small batches is the Baker. A nice heavy pour with a couple of ice cubes that melt for just the right amount of time = Yummy!

The Louisville club runs the Old Kentucky Home Tour that ends in the bourbon utopia of Bardstown KY. A few years ago the jersey was composed of a photo collage of about 50 different bourbon bottles - quite impressive (photo link below - not smart enough to imbed). And being Kentucky there were none of those whimpy beer tents at the end, they actually had a Bourbon Tent with free tasting. In fact the SAG stop at the 40 mile mark had a half gallon of bourbon and when I went to take my swig it was getting low so I was not the only one cycling under the influence.

http://www.okht.org/2002.html

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    My favorite of the Jim Beam small batches is the Baker. A nice heavy pour with a couple of ice cubes that melt for just the right amount of time = Yummy!

The Louisville club runs the Old Kentucky Home Tour that ends in the bourbon utopia of Bardstown KY. A few years ago the jersey was composed of a photo collage of about 50 different bourbon bottles - quite impressive (photo link below - not smart enough to imbed). And being Kentucky there were none of those whimpy beer tents at the end, they actually had a Bourbon Tent with free tasting. In fact the SAG stop at the 40 mile mark had a half gallon of bourbon and when I went to take my swig it was getting low so I was not the only one cycling under the influence.

http://www.okht.org/2002.html
    I always do that ride! It's so ... ME.

Deliciously Ironic

You all don't know the best...

bourbon is Buffalo Trace! Check out the distillery webcams.

www.buffalotrace.com
    mohair_chair: And everyone knows that a menstruating woman attracts bears

buy my old bike stuff: https://sites.google.com/site/carbonscyclingcloset/

my playlist on Blip.fm: http://blip.fm/rollotommassi

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

"Fifth" Place

I always do that ride! It's so ... ME.
    ...In fact the SAG stop at the 40 mile mark had a half gallon of bourbon and when I went to take my swig it was getting low so I was not the only one cycling under the influence...
    Well that explains it. We thought we were riding really slow since so many riders had a shot at the top of the hill before us. Now I find out that we may have been toward the front of the pack and OES was in front of us and drank a fifth. Did you fill your water bottle too?

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Well that explains it. We thought we were riding really slow since so many riders had a shot at the top of the hill before us. Now I find out that we may have been toward the front of the pack and OES was in front of us and drank a fifth. Did you fill your water bottle too?
    That particular hill will make a man thirsty. Did you get cheered & encouraged by those young gals this year? It made me straighten up and pedal harder, I'll tell you that.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tommassi
    bourbon is Buffalo Trace! Check out the distillery webcams.

www.buffalotrace.com
    It's a fine Bourbon, no doubt! I believe I HAVE some, lessee ...

Deliciously Ironic

i keep a snort in my race bag...

for post cyclo-cross/coldernhell rides!

It's a fine Bourbon, no doubt! I believe I HAVE some, lessee ...
    mohair_chair: And everyone knows that a menstruating woman attracts bears

buy my old bike stuff: https://sites.google.com/site/carbonscyclingcloset/

my playlist on Blip.fm: http://blip.fm/rollotommassi

Scary Teddy Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    I'm with you, I LOVE scotch..
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    I'm with you, I LOVE scotch..
    I've become a Grey Goose martini guy but all this whiskey talk may cause me to break out the Glenfiddich for a snort or two.

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Koop
    I've become a Grey Goose martini guy
    Try Hangar 1 Buddha's Hand
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass